Farish Announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I thought Bachmann/Farish operated to a 'it'll be ready when it's ready' timescale these days?!

Everything announced here is for release in the 2013/2014 period, so some of it is along way off yet. That said, the Fairburn was only announced today, and is already at EP stage!

To be fair to Bachmann, things have improved a lot since a few years ago where items were announced, then left to float around in the ether for a while before being canned altogether, the last model to suffer from that being the Class 222. Yes the 2MT has been glacial in its progress, but all recent models since that period have shown up more or less in the period they were scheduled for release.

Tom.

These are all meant to be turning up in the next 18 months but that was also said for all the announcements last year and Andy's post clearly shows how many of those are still only at the CAD stage with 6 months left to run. 

Totally delighted by these announcements. The GWR have been rather neglected by Farish but now we have an embarrassment of riches! Castle, Hawksworth coaches, 6400 pannier and BR autocoaches (Thrush and Wren anyone)? :locomotive:

I must admit, I had rather expected to see the Castle and Hawksworths from Dapol but I am delighted to see Farish finally renewing their membership of the copper-cap brigade. I had better start saving! :D

As I predicted before, a new generation Castle was a near certainty, being a numerous top link engine over a 40 year period. Plenty of opportunities for varations too in tenders, superheating, chimneys, etc.

They are indeed a different diagram to the Dapol ones. Also the Dapol ones are not entirely accurate being a hybrid of 2 different diagrams. The Farish one is the later "Hawksworth" style with flush front and sides and sliding window vents. My hunch is the Bachmann ones will sell well enough (I will get a couple for starters :)).

The only downside is it's not a GWR coach, but BR(WR), though there have been preserved ones in GW livery, of course. As a plus, this is also the correct version for the RTC livery.

No NSE stock No EMU's  :O a cheap year for me then!!! still they cant please us all we should be grateful  :yes:

There's always a Gatwick Express from the Mk.2fs...

Im more frustrated by the lack of joined up thinking. We have a new class 20 and nuclear flask models. Both linked thanks to drs but no class 20 in drs livery. Perhaps they're not allowed to use it ? Doubtful as they've announced the 37 in drs compass livery.

Or the dbso. We have a 37 already in NR yellow, a forthcoming 31 that could be produced in a handful of colours and still be suitable for a test train, but no sign of a yellow dbso.

Id have thought all opportunities to develop sales would be pursued.

• RMweb Gold

These are all meant to be turning up in the next 18 months but that was also said for all the announcements last year and Andy's post clearly shows how many of those are still only at the CAD stage with 6 months left to run. 

I wouldn't put too much faith in that status update. Case in point, the Fairburn Tank. Announced today, EP already on display and thats not even mentioned! It wouldn't suprise me if some those models still listed as at CAD stage are a little further along than the list suggests. I'm not saying they will all turn up in 6 months, but you can't deny that the situation now is much improved from the days of the 2MT, 222 & 9F announcements. At least all of these will turn up eventually, even if they do turn out to be a few months late.

Tom.

Im more frustrated by the lack of joined up thinking. We have a new class 20 and nuclear flask models. Both linked thanks to drs but no class 20 in drs livery. Perhaps they're not allowed to use it ? Doubtful as they've announced the 37 in drs compass livery.

The issue with the DRS 20's is they are quite different from the standard ones. They have extra fuel tanks on the sides and both the nose and cabs have been converted in to flush fronted ends complete with wipac lights.

It would be quite a bit of work to convert the tools for not that much return.

Alistair

Or the dbso. We have a 37 already in NR yellow, a forthcoming 31 that could be produced in a handful of colours and still be suitable for a test train, but no sign of a yellow dbso.

Id have thought all opportunities to develop sales would be pursued.

The model to release blue/grey and Scotrail liveries will be different from one in NR condition, due to primarily to the corridor connector. Presumably the tools will allow ones without this to be produced later, but I couldn't imagine them doing every version in one release batch. In the mean time, I'm planning to crack out the plastic, filler and yellow paint on these new air cons

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The TPM DRS Class 20 conversion pack could be useful, while TPM also produces a resin DBSO in later variant with the blanked off corridor connector.  Perhaps these could be useful to convert these new models?

cheers

Ben A.

Shove Duffs and Aircons are great news. But why do a new style RFO? The only reason why I got any is to vinyl them and they were being sold off cheap, a RBR would be better and make up for the RU which in the modelled form was extinct by 1980.   

Hello all,

The TPM DRS Class 20 conversion pack could be useful, while TPM also produces a resin DBSO in later variant with the blanked off corridor connector.  Perhaps these could be useful to convert these new models?

cheers

Ben A.

Unfortunately the tanks and etches don't fit the new Cl.20. The nose might - if it does I'll look at making new masters and etches to suit the new model.

I suspect the 'non-corridor' DBSO will follow next year as there are three liveries at least: INTERCITY, Anglia and Network Rail.

Just as I finish my kitbuilt Fairburn.  At least I can stop looking for a newer chassis for it.....

A Class 25/1 (close enough to a 25/0 for most people not to tell them apart when moving on a layout) - just what the doctor ordered.

I thought I was going to have a cheap year or so until I saw the COVHOP.  2 rakes of 15 of these- ouch!

Nice selection- just thankful most of them are for other folks (and for me just a 2MT, a J39 and maybe a Deltic outstanding from previous announcements with all Dapols home and dry as far as locos are concerned)

All the very best

les

Case in point, the Fairburn Tank. Announced today, EP already on display and thats not even mentioned!

My guess is that the Fairburn is piggy-backing on the work done for the BR 4MT tank. Now here's hoping they go in the opposite direction with the forthcoming Ivatt to produce the BR 2MT. :)

No NSE stock No EMU's :O

Slightly suprised not to see the 2-EPB being announced in N gauge. :scratchhead:

Perhaps the 4-CEP and Desiro have not sold well enough to justify further EMUs? :( That would be a shame if it was the case. I don't model sparkies but I do have a soft spot for the southern.

A very interesting selection of new models, the new 25 will be great. This is the first time that a manufacturer has announced models (in the same livery) which I've put effort into creating for myself, in this case the 47/7s.

I feel slightly cheated yet I know the model will be better than my efforts!

I'm not sure of the need to do a new air-con mk2 coach, though, above other choices. I feel that the current offering is absolutely fine (as I also do about the current 31). I'd rather have seen them create more liveries for other newly tooled items than create these. Each to their own, though; I am certainly not complaining at the amount and quality of new offerings in N, even though the 47/7 announcement had me briefly miffed!

• RMweb Gold

My guess is that the Fairburn is piggy-backing on the work done for the BR 4MT tank. Now here's hoping they go in the opposite direction with the forthcoming Ivatt to produce the BR 2MT. :)

Almost certainly, although its a little strange that the previoulsy announced 4MT would appear to be well behind the just announced Fairburn. That said, perhaps having just done the Std5, and not so long ago the Std4, they are trying to avoid flooding the marked with Standards!

Tom.

A Class 25/1 (close enough to a 25/0 for most people not to tell them apart when moving on a layout) - just what the doctor ordered.

The 25/1 is somewhat different to the 25/0 in a couple of very noticable ways

- the headcode boxes have horn mounts each side (could easily be removed I think)

- the cab doors are inset.

also the roof is much more like a 24

I think for a 25/0 its probably better to hack up a 24. But the 25/0's were pretty obscure beasties while the 25/1 and 25/2 got everywhere and did everything so its obviously by far the more sensible RTR choice.

On a side note, it is good to see that the rumours alleging Farish would no longer be producing big-4 liveries seem to be well and truly scotched. All the steam locos announced have a pre-nationalisation livery option. :good:

The mogul N's will go very nicely with the Dapol bullieds on my planned N scale layout!

Dapol are doing Maunsell coaches to go with their proposed 'Schools' loco - Farish are doing the Bullieds (release [much] later this year, apparently - in EP stage, picture of a BTK in 'Photographic Grey' :) in post #1 ).

To be honest, I'm not that impressed, the class 25 is welcome, but long overdue.

The Mk2's are also of interest, but as for the rest of it, nothing really rings my bell.

Meanwhile Dapol have come out with classes 22,26,27,33,50,56,121,122,253 and doubtless the 205 is soon to follow.

Surely it wouldn't be to hard to produce some 1970's liveried Railfrieght containers

And now that Hornby are bringing us the Brighton Bell, perhaps Hejan will do us all a favour and shrink their entire 00 range down to N size

As for pre-announcing products 18 months in advance perhaps I'm just being cynical,but......

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile Dapol have come out with classes 22,26,27,33,50,56,121,122,253 and doubtless the 205 is soon to follow.

With no disrespect to Dapol, I think you're being a little unfair on Farish there Stuart. In comparison they have produced a new 03, 04, 08, 14, 20, 44/45, 37, 47, 60, 66, 220, 150, 101, 350, 411 with the later 37s, 55 & 70 just on the horizon and 25s just announced. Not to mention their Steam range far out numbers Dapol's at present in terms of classes covered. (Although Dapol are catching up!)

As for pre-announcing products 18 months in advance perhaps I'm just being cynical,but......

But.....Farish are planning far enough ahead to try and avoid any wasteful duplication with their nearest competitor?

Tom.

I've had the following clarification notes courtesy of Bachmann Design & Research Dept:

Graham Farish

25/1 25/2

This is also completely new tooling and is not a scaled down 00 item. 25/2 is early body style, same as a 25/1.

Bachmann/Farish make it clear that the announcements cover the next 18-24 months, just as Dapol have stated that the current catalogue will take them up until the end of 2013, at least. We also know that Hornby try and do everything with their catalogue within the calendar year in question.

If you feel that you are hard done by, LS Models from Belgium are currently about 1/2 of the way through their 2010 catalogue, and we have not had a full updated listing since, just bits of new announcements which often push in ahead of items announced years ago.

I've had the following clarification notes courtesy of Bachmann Design & Research Dept:

Graham Farish

25/1 25/2

This is also completely new tooling and is not a scaled down 00 item. 25/2 is early body style, same as a 25/1.

Excellent news!!! ANDY.

• RMweb Premium

Farish do a decent job of getting models out within 18-24 months of them being anounced. There's very little outstanding from last year's catalogue that hasn't made an appearence (if only as an EP in the display case).

Has anyone seen the Dapol class 142 that was first anounced in 2010?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived