Level crossing stupidity...

Not to trivialise the incident but I think the Daily Heil and the witneses have a fairly limited understanding of the workings of full-barrier crossings and the concept of "a few seconds" (if it was so short, why did it have to be edited out?).

As I understand it, full barrier crossings are under CCTV observation and are protected by signals, to guard against exactly this kind of stupidity. I guess I could be wrong though.

No you are not wrong, the barriers in question are fitted with auto lower, once the barriers are down the signaller will check the crossing is clear before clearing the signals, it was when he checked that he saw the car and raised the barriers to allow the dopey bint to get clear, he then manually lowered the barriers etc.

At no stage was she in any actual danger.

There is a longer video showing the car in front of hers waiting correctly behind the line, when it is clear that car moves forward but she decides to follow without checking if she can clear the crossing.

This is 100% her fault.

• RMweb Premium

A comment on the cyclist, when he went through the wig wag lights had stopped flashing as the barriers had been raised so he was perfectly entitled to go through whether or not it was wise to do so. He was riding on the pavement however.

• RMweb Premium

In the right circumstances a person can plead hardship and avoid a ban.

e.g. famous?

Like a professional footballer/soap star/pop music idol (delete as necessary) after racking up enough points for a ban. Pleads that would affect his job . Gets off.

Average Joe after racking up enough points for a ban. Pleads that would affect his job Gets a ban.

Keith

e.g. famous?

Like a professional footballer/soap star/pop music idol (delete as necessary) after racking up enough points for a ban. Pleads that would affect his job . Gets off.

Average Joe after racking up enough points for a ban. Pleads that would affect his job Gets a ban.

Keith

Is that so?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35958910

• Like 1

Not to trivialise the incident but I think the Daily Heil and the witneses have a fairly limited understanding of the workings of full-barrier crossings and the concept of "a few seconds" (if it was so short, why did it have to be edited out?).

As I understand it, full barrier crossings are under CCTV observation and are protected by signals, to guard against exactly this kind of stupidity. I guess I could be wrong though.

If you look at the time stamp in the lower left corner you can see that from when the barrier came down for the second time there was a delay of about 35 sec before the train arrived! Not a few sec as DM puts it!

Hmmm! 35seconds eh?

Even if the car stalled you could still get out of the car and run, probably.

Oh, the baby in the back, are there's the rub.

Not only did she not show any sense of self preservation but didn't show any thought for the baby!

35 seconds eh?

Saw this on facebook. Moron doesn't begin to cover it. And 68 months is still far too short a sentence for such a stupid act.

It is still more than I expected him to get, as far as realistic sentences go its a start.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm! 35seconds eh?

Even if the car stalled you could still get out of the car and run, probably.

Oh, the baby in the back, are there's the rub.

Not only did she not show any sense of self preservation but didn't show any thought for the baby!

35 seconds eh?

It's a CCTV crossing. If the car had stalled, the train would have been stopped at the protecting signal. No-one was in any danger, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

Edited by 4069

• RMweb Gold

I see train services between Norwich and Cambridge have been suspended as a result of this incident. That seems a tad unfair for the long-suffering train-travelling public.

• RMweb Premium

As I know some of the men that will be on the ground there, I'm sure they are doing their utmost to pick up the pieces and get things moving again...

But theres also investigation work to do, both by the RAIB and the police, which again takes time.

As an example, I had a person found next to a footpath crossing a couple of months back. He was alive, but with injuries that were consistant with a train having hit him (never conclusively proved one way or another). The emergency services required a total block, and that was on for three hours.....

Also I'm not sure I'd want to have the emergency services on site with the other road open to traffic, its hard enough keeping trained staff in the right place....

Andy G

Edited to correct spelling misflakes

Edited by uax6

I see train services between Norwich and Cambridge have been suspended as a result of this incident. That seems a tad unfair for the long-suffering train-travelling public.

the railway is blocked by bits of train and big bits of tractor, what else can be done when the line is physically blocked in both directions.

Not to mention everything will have to be left as it is until the Police and investigators have got all the information they need.

I am sure we can all guess what has happened but that won't stand up in Court so the evidence has to be gathered up to present.

Edited by royaloak