Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

i certainly dont want my bosses listening to me talking to the voices in my head while i drive along!

It's to make sure you ARE talking to yourself, risk triggered c.... The bloke behind that lot started it here

• RMweb Gold

About right for that lot

Reading that link - and not just the bit about the camera - started to give me a very uneasy feeling about that lot.

As Jim has said front facing cameras are one thing (and a good thing in my view) - this idea from this bunch strikes me as a good way of trying to avoid various managerial responsibilities, not clever and definitely not to be encouraged in my view.

• Like 1

Talk about jumping to conclusions! In fact you seem to be jumping so high you must be in a low Earth orbit by now!

It is also very poor Level Crossing design where all four barriers lower simultaneously - increases the risk of trapping vehicles as happened here. If the exit barriers had lowered just a few seconds after the the entry barriers the accident would very likely not have happened.

I'm still firmly grounded on planet Earth, thank you.

There is a link to the Wikipedia account of the incident in one of the comments under the video on YouTube.  The Wikipedia article states:

"The driver drove through a rail crossing near the Studénka train station. The crossing was protected by signal lighting and gates, and the driver entered the crossing when the red lights accompanied by acoustic signal were on for at least 30 seconds. The driver drove into the crossing despite warnings and as the gates went down, he stopped the truck on the tracks.[4] Instead of ramming through the gate, which is constructed so as to allow even a motorbike to penetrate the barrier and automatically sends a stop signal to all approaching trains if breached, the driver moved the truck only a few metres forward in order to avoid a direct impact to its cab, with its trailer carrying aluminium sheets remaining on the track."

The Czech news article in linked from the Wikipedia article states that the operation of the warning lights was confirmed by the preliminary investigation.

You seem to have jumped to the conclusion that my comment was based purely on viewing the video.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's another one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35639164

From Holland - train hit a crane on a level crossing and killed the train driver

Not a crane but by all accounts a tele-handler. One of the pieces of modern machinery used on farms today. They usually have the operators cab set low down on the side resulting in the operators view being obstructed by the lifting arm. I was wondering if this contributed to the accident.

http://www.rocketrentals.co.uk/images/Upload/Telehandlers/THL_540-170_02S1.jpg

Edited by PhilJ W

I wonder, if we were to put the barries across the tack instead of the roadway, would this make more people feel sorry for train drivers and passengers. Instead of the idiots, and they are idiots!, who cause these crashes. Notice I did not say accident, it is not an accident if it is caused by deliberate action.

I think there are enough confused folk already - something I've been doing over the past few months is scanning Ebay for Duplo trains (for my 2yo, honest...) - it doesn't seem at all unusual for somebody to post a pic of the level crossing parts with the lifting barriers blocking the track...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little incident in Lincoln, I'd suggest a box junction on the crossing, but people just ignore those anyway so probably not worth the yellow paint. However, I do find it worrying that the police have described this as a minor accident, nothing accidental about deliberately driving onto a crossing without adequate space to clear it on the opposite side.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/heart-stopping-moment-mum-three-7559039

• RMweb Gold

Here's a little incident in Lincoln, I'd suggest a box junction on the crossing, but people just ignore those anyway so probably not worth the yellow paint. However, I do find it worrying that the police have described this as a minor accident, nothing accidental about deliberately driving onto a crossing without adequate space to clear it on the opposite side.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/heart-stopping-moment-mum-three-7559039

Prosecution material for several offences I would have imagined - but she probably got off because she hurt her pinky.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And yet did anyone get on the barrier phones to tell the signalman what had happened?

Andy G

He would have known something was (or wasn't) happening because the offside barrier failed to lower.  She was rather daft/even dafter driving her car into the nearside barrier after it had lowered. 

• RMweb Premium

Indeed he would, but why is the first reaction never to phone the bobby? Being in the box I would love a call when something like that happens, but usually we hear nothing......

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

"""Heart stopping moment"""

Well, mine certainly didn't, all I saw was another muppet that shouldn't have the privilege of holding a driving license.

Question though, that is a full CCTV crossing.

Should the signaller have started the sequence of lowering the barriers whilst the crossing was blocked?

Indeed he would, but why is the first reaction never to phone the bobby? Being in the box I would love a call when something like that happens, but usually we hear nothing......

Andy G

They probably think all this happens by magic!

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it in the highway code somewhere that you always stop before the first track if the exit isn't clear.

The signalman stopped the barrier before it hit her car, he can see her car on the CCTV. It's 100% her fault. I hope she gets a ticket.

The papers always make something of stuff like this,blaming the railway just because she has a kid in the car.

So on that, if she'd done this on an automated crossing such as an AHB she could have caused a fatal derailment.

A murderer! So to speak, you wouldn't leave your kids with one of those would you.

So lock her up,kids in care and demolish her house....job done!!

Edited by russ p
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rule 291

A level crossing is where a road crosses a railway or tramway line. Approach and cross it with care. Never drive onto a crossing until the road is clear on the other side and do not get too close to the car in front. Never stop or park on, or near, a crossing.

Anyone notice the bus going the other way and the pedestrian - jeez

• RMweb Gold

When I was a kid I was a book lad in the boxes on the NYMR. At Grosmont is was the book lads job to do the gates. The more conscientious motorists would always stop before the smaller second set of gates as it used to be.

Today if I do gates on the railway I'm always very careful as a lot of motorists don't care. I threw a gate at a van as he wouldn't wait until I'd opened both sets to road on a four gate crossing

"""Heart stopping moment"""

Well, mine certainly didn't, all I saw was another muppet that shouldn't have the privilege of holding a driving license.

Question though, that is a full CCTV crossing.

Should the signaller have started the sequence of lowering the barriers whilst the crossing was blocked?

At CCTV Level Crossings the Signaller checks the picture after the barriers are down, to ensure that no-one or nothing is trapped on the crossing, before pressing the 'Crossing Clear' button to allow the protecting signals to come off. AFAIK the barrier lowering sequence normally starts automatically on the approach of a train.