Level crossing stupidity...

Yes, I remember the incident. Must have been about twenty years ago.

Hi There,

I was thinking about 16 years, anyhow, quite some while back. Mick Roberts was the driver can't remember who was firing, I repaired the tender steps.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Another one mistook the track for a road? Pratnav strikes again.

Interesting that the linked article states it was 'near Warden crossing', which raises a couple of possibilities;

At Warden crossing itself, the road dog legs curving sharply on both sides of the crossing, in fact on the north side the road runs virtually parallel with the railway. It also says the incident was at 7.15 pm, so it would have been dark...

and out there I mean pitch-black dark.

There's also though, as I recall (been several years since last worked that route), an occupation/uwc nearby.

Edited by Ken.W

Headlights are excellent these days, though, Ken. If it was that dark he'd have been using full beams as well. No, he's an idiot as others have said, pure and simple...

Yes, but was simply describing the location, which few on here would know, as a possible explaination, not suggesting it's an excuse.

It could also, as I was saying, have been a nearby occupation/uwc crossing as the article described it as being 'near Warden crossing'

Although the photo in that article, showing the 156 appears to have rear ended the car, does suggest the car turning onto the track at Warden crossing appears the more likely of the two, the occupation crossing's square-on to the railway

• Like 1

Headlights are excellent these days, though, Ken. If it was that dark he'd have been using full beams as well. No, he's an idiot as others have said, pure and simple...

Headlights might be good, but there is no guarantee that the drivers will use full beam - I've seen some people in newer cars with the daytime running lights not even realise that they still need to put the lights on in the dark!

there are a lot of idiot drivers out there!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Headlights might be good, but there is no guarantee that the drivers will use full beam - I've seen some people in newer cars with the daytime running lights not even realise that they still need to put the lights on in the dark!

there are a lot of idiot drivers out there!!

Was waiting to back into my drive this evening when a learner came past in the pitch dark - DRLs at the front, totally black at the back. Fantastic...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was waiting to back into my drive this evening when a learner came past in the pitch dark - DRLs at the front, totally black at the back. Fantastic...

Can't understand these cars that only have DRLs on the front. (Quite a few makes)

Why?

Keith

They are meant to make the car more visible as it approaches you (same reason any good motorcyclist will have their headlights on as well)... Not much point to have the rears on, it'd be too late by then!

It's not just cars with DRLs who forget to turn their main lights on at night, plenty without do as well... If you are on a well lit road and don't look at your dials...

Weren't the Saab (and, the more well known, Volvo) lights set so you couldn't have anything else but front and backs, they were more like extra-bright front sidelights, the rears were just standard brightness.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They are meant to make the car more visible as it approaches you (same reason any good motorcyclist will have their headlights on as well)... Not much point to have the rears on, it'd be too late by then!

It's not just cars with DRLs who forget to turn their main lights on at night, plenty without do as well... If you are on a well lit road and don't look at your dials...

And then there are those cyclops drivers, where they only have lights on one side.

Is it beyond people to be able to change a light bulb these days?

Then again they're probably waiting Alexa or Siri, or some other digital assistant to do it for them......

Dave

Guest teacupteacup

And then there are those cyclops drivers, where they only have lights on one side.

Is it beyond people to be able to change a light bulb these days?

Then again they're probably waiting Alexa or Siri, or some other digital assistant to do it for them......

Dave

In a word yes!

Mind you, a lot of cars these days need the full light unit to come out to change bulbs. 

• RMweb Premium

In a word yes!

Mind you, a lot of cars these days need the full light unit to come out to change bulbs.

My 14 year old Volvo has defeated me several times in trying to change headlamp bulbs. One garage that I used, used to put the car on the hoist and remove the front bumper to get at the right place. I now use a garage where the owner's wife, who has got smaller hands, does the job. With the dipped beam being on all the time the lamps do need changing fairly regularly.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Weren't the Saab (and, the more well known, Volvo) lights set so you couldn't have anything else but front and backs, they were more like extra-bright front sidelights, the rears were just standard brightness.

Yup :) very useful!

• RMweb Premium

Renault Clio, to change a headlight bulb the front bumper has to come off unless  you have access to a ramp. Even then the arch protectors have an access hatch in them or have to be removed. The book time to change a headlight bulb on certain models is 90 minutes so about £150 to change one bulb.

A friend had a Skoda Fabia and needed a headlight bulb replaced, took it to Halfords and they refused to fit the bulb. My son did it for free.

Had to change an HID bulb on a Golf a couple of years ago. normally the bulbs can be removed from under the bonnet, this one had been in the car from new. I couldn't shift the bulb and nor could my son who has slightly slimmer hands than me due to slight 'dirt' around the bulb socket. We ended up removing the bumper and then the headlight unit complete ...

Despite it being a requirement in many countries that you have to carry spare bulbs there aren't many cars that I'd try to change bulbs on at the roadside. Even my Audi says take it to your nearest dealer, the same as the Golf. I changed all 4 bulbs in the Audi in about 20 minutes when I got it, fitting slightly better bulbs that the OEM ones.

Anyway we digress.

• Like 1

My 14 year old Volvo has defeated me several times in trying to change headlamp bulbs. One garage that I used, used to put the car on the hoist and remove the front bumper to get at the right place. I now use a garage where the owner's wife, who has got smaller hands, does the job. With the dipped beam being on all the time the lamps do need changing fairly regularly.Jamie

Have you tried to do a Corsa, I turned up at work one day to find the front of one dismantled just to change a bulb!

• RMweb Gold

I recently got rid of a mk3 Clio. Drivers side headlight was a pain as you had to remove the funnel for the washer bottle and then go in blind as the plug either blocked your view or was a b****** to fit afterwards.

I tried for an hour one evening and gave up as cold and dark by then, wandered out next morning and clipped bulb in on first attempt..

Passenger side had a lot more visibility and was a doodle....

• Like 1

I recently got rid of a mk3 Clio. Drivers side headlight was a pain as you had to remove the funnel for the washer bottle and then go in blind as the plug either blocked your view or was a b****** to fit afterwards.

I tried for an hour one evening and gave up as cold and dark by then, wandered out next morning and clipped bulb in on first attempt..

Passenger side had a lot more visibility and was a doodle....

I had an 02 reg Golf and you could do the Drivers side ok but the other side, I looked at it and took it to a main dealer, two cps of their coffe , three packets of biscuits and three quarter of an hour later it was done, but better still they said they would do it for the price of the bulb! Glad I did not try it if it took them that long!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One area that perhaps requires more legislation-if it's a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs, then it also ought to be a regulatory requirement that such bulbs are easy for the user to fit at the roadside, without special tools other than say a screwdriver. It also ought to be possible at night and in under a given time, say 15 mins, for a non-technical person.

One area that perhaps requires more legislation-if it's a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs, then it also ought to be a regulatory requirement that such bulbs are easy for the user to fit at the roadside, without special tools other than say a screwdriver. It also ought to be possible at night and in under a given time, say 15 mins, for a non-technical person.

It is probably the wording that just says must be carried and nothing about being able to fit it!

I'd rather change a wheel than a bulb... on my first car (Hyundai Pony) bulbs were easy to change, my second (Ford Focus) they were tricky, but possible, with my current car (Toyota Auris) the front lights have to be done by touch (no chance of getting a hand AND being able to see what you're doing) & it's easier to get the guy from Halfords* who changes bulbs every day to do it.

* - especially as my car appears to be a change year so their listed bulbs for my car are the wrong ones

• Like 1