Level crossing stupidity...

Earlier today.  BBC Spotlight reported a level crossing collision, showing very briefly a picture of a DMU buried into the left hand side of a courier van. 

The local paper reports:-  https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/live-trains-plymouth-gunnislake-cancelled-2325675

I'm not sure why they had to show an HST in their illustration.  The usual charabanc on this quiet branch line is either a two-car 150, or a single 153.

Thankfully, no casualties.

John

An HST in Bath as well. Their picture editor must have decided that it's a train so that will do.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

An HST in Bath as well. Their picture editor must have decided that it's a train so that will do.

Geoff Endacott

The other annoying thing, is to show a photo of emergency vehicles - just in case we don't know what a police car/ambulance/fire appliance looks like. Anyone for tapes around a scene, with a 'live' reporter, reporting on well nothing!

I'm not sure why they had to show an HST in their illustration.  The usual charabanc on this quiet branch line is either a two-car 150, or a single 153.

Well at least he did manage to pick a current GWR train

Probably lucky they didn't post a pic of a 'Castle'!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two very lucky car drivers in Illinois:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/12/28/officer-misses-train-dashcam-newday-vpx.cnn

I've just watched that again, and realised they are very, very lucky! The barriers don't start to come down till half the train is over the crossing.

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

Two very lucky car drivers in Illinois:https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/12/28/officer-misses-train-dashcam-newday-vpx.cnn

I've just watched that again, and realised they are very, very lucky! The barriers don't start to come down till half the train is over the crossing.

Interestingly, there can be seen what look like S&T guys working in the relay room at the end of the clip (briefly).

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I presume the collision occurred at this level crossing, Okeltor, which is the nearer to Calstock of the two level crossings on the branch.  Presumably a road service operated between Calstock and Gunnislake?

attachicon.gifOkelktor LC.jpg

Shouldn't those "Give Way" signs really be "Stop" signs in such a case?

Not that it would probably make that much difference as to how they are obeyed.

• RMweb Premium

Two very lucky car drivers in Illinois:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/12/28/officer-misses-train-dashcam-newday-vpx.cnn

Just as well the microphone is turned off in that clip. PO Peter Stanglewicz would not have been a happy man!

It would appear that the S&T guys turned the barriers back on, when they realised a train was coming. Almost had a fatality on their hands, but for sheer luck & quick thinking. Be interesting to read of what the NTSB think of that.

Just as well the microphone is turned off in that clip. PO Peter Stanglewicz would not have been a happy man!

It would appear that the S&T guys turned the barriers back on, when they realised a train was coming. Almost had a fatality on their hands, but for sheer luck & quick thinking. Be interesting to read of what the NTSB think of that.

They do things differently in the States, it seems. Over here the S&T (or equivalent) wouldn't have been let loose in that situation without a full line block...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

That's probably not far off the mark. The cynic in me is saying that they had them on local control before the train turned up.

UK practice would be to agree with the signaller if and when you can take local control.

All speculation ofcourse but worth mentioning. 

With some sort of intelligent local control?

With some sort of intelligent local control?

Hi Catkins,

To my thinking the solution of such a problem comes from the inversion of what is the perceived problem, this is is to actually activate ones own intelligent local control by engaging ones own brain.

Controversial I know !

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Shouldn't those "Give Way" signs really be "Stop" signs in such a case?

Not that it would probably make that much difference as to how they are obeyed.

All trains that use that particular crossing are required to stop and sound the horn before working over the crossing. Its the same method of working at Sandways a little further up the hill from there!

Reading between the lines and seeing it was a poor old DPD driver with a 15 hour day and 100+ drops, I think we can draw our own conclusions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/be-aware-level-crossings-greater-anglia-testing-brand-new-trains

Not really stupidity but it shows what the railway are up against, people have to be warned that level crossings may be in use at funny times - surely you just obey the lights rather than checking your watch and thinking "Mmm, it's 23:37, there's no trains booked here at that time so I'll weave around the barriers"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last week I had an incident at an occupational crossing where a tractor began crossing the line without permission from the signaller, he entered the crossing as I could see the front jib over the tree tops approaching the line but not slowing down, I blew the horn and he stopped blocking the other line before reversing back off the crossing rather sharpishly, since then I have given a blast if the horn approaching the crossing for my own safety’s sake

Anyway today I found out that there has since been a complaint about excessive use of the horn at the crossing by my train in the days following the incident!

Needless to say that after finding that out I still blew the horn approaching the crossing today, and will do tomorrow and Thursday too and in every other train I work over the crossing while it is continued to be misused

As an aside a work colleague at Colas also nearly hit a tractor on the same crossing with the Boston steel train a few years back, his was a lot closer miss than mine, so much so he put the loco into emergency and went in the engine room!

• RMweb Premium

If it’s a true occupational crossing (ie one without telephones) then there is no requirement for the tractor driver to ask permission to cross, it is up to him to assess wether it is safe for him to cross.

There are two problems with this, NR seem to struggle keeping the vegetation back so that the driver of a tractor can see sufficiently from about 4 yards back from the gates, and that the drivers don’t seem to be able to appreciate how long trains take to approach.

You could say that the answer is more uwc’s with telephones on them, but then that makes signaller workload almost impossible. Down our bit of fen Railway, we have some crossings where you can get calls every 5 mins during harvest, planting or tending season.....

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/be-aware-level-crossings-greater-anglia-testing-brand-new-trains

Not really stupidity but it shows what the railway are up against, people have to be warned that level crossings may be in use at funny times - surely you just obey the lights rather than checking your watch and thinking "Mmm, it's 23:37, there's no trains booked here at that time so I'll weave around the barriers"

I have crossed (on foot) at a crossing with red-green lights when the lights were on red.

It was clear that there was a possession because there were replacement buses running for that section of line and I could see the workers on the track,. Therefore anything running would presumably have been slow enough

to see it in plenty of time.

I still phoned the signaller first though.

• Like 1

Last week I had an incident at an occupational crossing where a tractor began crossing the line without permission from the signaller, he entered the crossing as I could see the front jib over the tree tops approaching the line but not slowing down, I blew the horn and he stopped blocking the other line before reversing back off the crossing rather sharpishly, since then I have given a blast if the horn approaching the crossing for my own safety’s sake

Anyway today I found out that there has since been a complaint about excessive use of the horn at the crossing by my train in the days following the incident!

Needless to say that after finding that out I still blew the horn approaching the crossing today, and will do tomorrow and Thursday too and in every other train I work over the crossing while it is continued to be misused

As an aside a work colleague at Colas also nearly hit a tractor on the same crossing with the Boston steel train a few years back, his was a lot closer miss than mine, so much so he put the loco into emergency and went in the engine room!

Hi Big Jim,

Some years back, when I was at the ELR there was once a framer who would insist upon leaving the level crossing gates open despite being asked numerous times to shut them.

He did this so that he could drive his Land Rover over the railway without looking.

He also did this once too often and bent the rear tender steps of the 42765, is Land Rover went to the crusher and he was put in a box.

Fortunately no one else was injured.

Gibbo.

• Like 1