Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a long way round to get to Barmouth from Fairbourne by road, compared to the distance by train...

That’s why my mum gets her Iceland shopping delivered to llwyngwril rather than drive or lug it back on the train!

• Like 2

Who would like to let the train approach her slowly then, when about 6 feet (2 euromeasurements) away from her, give a long blast of the two tones and then stop, I would!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mum's not gone to Iceland.? ;-)

Not quite, she goes into barmouth by train and spends enough to get it delivered for free!

I’d really hate the job of Iceland delivery driver there having to go the best part of 20 mile to do a delivery that in a straight line is 2-3 miles or by rail is half the distance

Saying that in the early 80s when my dad was the local Bobby in llwyngwril we did our monthly ‘big shop’ in kwik save in Ffestiniog, that was a fair old trek

• Like 1

Bit of a long way round to get to Barmouth from Fairbourne by road, compared to the distance by train...

Correct, although as the train service is two hourly I'd have a long wait to come back just to pick up my monthly drug fix.  Two hours of the sickly smell of doughnuts wafting over the station from the fast food place nest to the station is my idea of hell.

It does actually work out quicker by car for my drug run because of the timetables although more expensive than the train.  The train is actually quite busy from Fairbourne to Barmouth because it is quick and cheap if you want to spend a couple of hours or more in the town.  Sadly, most of the time I don't...

• Like 2

Not quite, she goes into barmouth by train and spends enough to get it delivered for free!

I’d really hate the job of Iceland delivery driver there having to go the best part of 20 mile to do a delivery that in a straight line is 2-3 miles or by rail is half the distance

Saying that in the early 80s when my dad was the local Bobby in llwyngwril we did our monthly ‘big shop’ in kwik save in Ffestiniog, that was a fair old trek

I go to Porthmadog for a choice of German discount retailers although Asda do home delivery to Fairbourne all the way from St Asaph, which according to Asda's delivery software, is two miles closer to us than the previous deliveries that came from Wrexham.

Neither are what you call just down the road.

• RMweb Premium

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-works-level-crossings-and-tramways-288-to-307

Rule 293

Controlled Crossings. Most crossings have traffic light signals with a steady amber light, twin flashing red stop lights (see ‘Light signals controlling traffic’ and ‘Traffic signs’) and an audible alarm for pedestrians. They may have full, half or no barriers.
  • You MUST always obey the flashing red stop lights.
  • You MUST stop behind the white line across the road.
  • Keep going if you have already crossed the white line when the amber light comes on.
  • Do not reverse onto or over a controlled crossing.
  • You MUST wait if a train goes by and the red lights continue to flash. This means another train will be passing soon.
  • Only cross when the lights go off and barriers open.
  • Never zig-zag around half-barriers, they lower automatically because a train is approaching.
  • At crossings where there are no barriers, a train is approaching when the lights show.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/light-signals-controlling-traffic

gallery_23983_3473_36565.jpg

(FWIW the amber light means the same as it does on a normal traffic light.  Rule 293 merely expands on this a bit by saying you shouldn't stop if you see the amber once you've already crossed the white line.  Not stopping such circumstances at a normal traffic light would be legal anyway, but at a level crossing the emphasis moves from "it's OK not to stop" to "if you do stop the outcome might be painful".)

So the Highway Code doesn't really differentiate between the myriad of different types of level crossings, especially for barriers & half barriers, with or without cameras. The rule is very simple, if the red lights are flashing, it means a road user MUST STOP.

As for the issue of people dodging around half barriers, surely the problem can be largely resolved with a simple barrier down the centre of the road for a short distance, like this example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_crossing#/media/File:Bourke-Docker_Street_level_crossing.jpg

It doesn't need to be a full island, such as in the photo, even a couple of rows of kerbing, back to back, so does the job for narrower road widths. If people hit the kerbing, that's their problem, if they can't drive in a straight line & damage their suspension/wheel alignment.

I can't think of a single example in Melbourne, where there are full barriers, an unnecessary complication IMO.

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 3

passenger service has increased train frequency, therefore increased horn use.

The locals have complained.

The proposed solution to create a quiet zone is to completely fence the line and put full barriers across (with obstacle detection) so that horns aren't required.

The locals then complain that they can't cross the line when a train is near................

Ah, the logic of the General Public, eh! All to save themselves a couple of minutes! ;)

• RMweb Premium

There are some truly shocking ones on You Tube from webcams at crossings.

In one case (Russia IIRC), a lorry overshoots a crossing on a double track line a hits the side of a coal train on the far track.

The lorry is naturally dragged side ways by the train and just as it does a high speed train comes the other way and hits the lorry full on.

The result is horrendous as both trains are derailed and lineside equipment etc is taken down and the remains of the tractor unit thrown through the air by the impact.

I would imagine there were several fatalities including the lorry driver & passenger train driver as well as possibly several passengers.

All because the lorry driver couldn't be bothered to stop.

In the US there seem to be quite a lot of strikes on Semis that get grounded and then can't move on slightly humped crossings, usually all that happens is the trailer gets reduced to it's component parts and the goods get scattered far and wide.

The loco quite often just gets away with a few scratches and dents at the front.

Keith

There are quite a few "quiet zones" I know of at least one I  the Riverside area of East LA through one particular township.  The crews don't like them, according to the driver that I talked to.  I believe that they have upgraded the crossings but don't know the details.   There are certainly a lot of towns pushing for quiet zones but I don't think that many get created.  I also am not aware of the safety record in such zones.

Jamie

Strange that you should mention Riverside and its aversion to noise. In a previous life I used to parachute just by there at Elsinore and Perris Valley. Whilst we didn't make much noise, every few minutes there would be a tremendous racket as March Air Force Base's SAC's KC-135 tankers and even the odd B-52 would take off. I'm told that to increase thrust and get off the ground more quickly, they injected water into the engines - with consequent increase in noise. 

I don't recall ever hearing a complaint about aircraft noise!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are some truly shocking ones on You Tube from webcams at crossings.

In one case (Russia IIRC), a lorry overshoots a crossing on a double track line a hits the side of a coal train on the far track.

The lorry is naturally dragged side ways by the train and just as it does a high speed train comes the other way and hits the lorry full on.

The result is horrendous as both trains are derailed and lineside equipment etc is taken down and the remains of the tractor unit thrown through the air by the impact.

I would imagine there were several fatalities including the lorry driver & passenger train driver as well as possibly several passengers.

All because the lorry driver couldn't be bothered to stop.

Keith

If thats the one I'm thinking of there was black ice on the road and the driver tried to stop but the truck just slid onto the crossing.

• RMweb Premium

If thats the one I'm thinking of there was black ice on the road and the driver tried to stop but the truck just slid onto the crossing.

A quick look for Russian car crashes on Youtube, soon reveals that many Russians, drive far too fast for the conditions.

• RMweb Premium

A quick look for Russian car crashes on Youtube, soon reveals that many Russians, drive far too fast for the conditions.

Plenty of drivers worldwide that drive too fast for the conditions. It's just that a lot of Russians have dashcams.....

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of drivers worldwide that drive too fast for the conditions. It's just that a lot of Russians have dashcams.....

I think there are probably more dodgy Russian drivers per head of population than many other places.

They have so many dashcams because of the problems with other drivers.

That's possible, but again they get lots of ice but don't seem to drive appropriately.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think there are probably more dodgy Russian drivers per head of population than many other places.

They have so many dashcams because of the problems with other drivers.

and pedestrians....

Apologies for the OT - I hope it doesn't stray for as long as the headlamp saga.........

1 min 50 is not predictable

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ooh new page, Anyone know how to change a bulb on a 2003 mini?

Yes, see the RMweb thread "Level crossing stupidity...."!

I know the thread is badly named but there is a large section in there about car main-beam light source changing procedures and the correct nomenclature.

Kev.

• Funny 1