A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I hope no one takes a fence at this afternoons posts

Nope, I'd rather take the wire between 'em, you get more for scrap ! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Recently a few on here recommended the products of War World Scenics. This month's BRM features in both the mag and on video, the new Pro Grass Precision Detailer for static grass application. This looks quite promising for someone who doesn't have swathes of scenery to cover and likes the idea of covering small areas such as my cuttings and embankment in small instalments.

https://www.wwscenics.com/product/war-world-scenics-pro-grass-precision-applicator/

• Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The fencing looks good, it's great to see the railway defined.

My dictionary defines ‘railway‘ as

noun

a permanent track composed of a line of parallel metal rails fixed to sleepers, for transport of passengers and goods in trains

any track on which the wheels of a vehicle may runa cable railway

the entire equipment, rolling stock, buildings, property, and system of tracks used in such a transport system

the organization responsible for operating a railway network

(modifier) of, relating to, or used on a railway or railwaysa railway engine; a railway strike

cant see a fence anywhere!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

That's not International Rescue popping up in the middle of the first photo is it?

FAB.:D It's the screw that holds my large tree in place.;)

12 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The fencing looks good, it's great to see the railway defined.

Should have done it before I put the buildings in but that needs planning.:rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

I have no hesitation in recommending WWS products. I use a Pro Grass applicator which deals with 1mm to 6mm fibres. 

Grass wise, WWS own brand or PECO (Which I believe are supplied by WWS) are in my opinion, the best. 

I've used Woodland scenic grass and I find them not as good and more likely not to stand up. 

I use their layering spray to build up the layers ( strange but true). One thing to remember is a light spray of matt varnish when it's all finished. It cuts down on the shine from the fibres. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I use their layering spray to build up the layers ( strange but true). One thing to remember is a light spray of matt varnish when it's all finished. It cuts down on the shine from the fibres. 

Interesting to see the layering spray available in aerosol and bottle, which I assume has a mist head attached. Which did you use Rob ?

I'm impressed with the range of different colours, bewildering for a novice but just the choice a discerning modeller who remembers coloured sawdust for scenics not that long ago.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I have no hesitation in recommending WWS products

Totally agree with you on this, I purchased the original application many years ago and still gives good service, one of the the owners , Martyn has always been enthusiastic and willing to help which I like.

Can't be a bad product if Peco have rebranded it for their lines and the layering spray works well ( better than hairspray IMHO ).

I noticed the newer smaller applicator last week and i am tempted.

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Anyone know the difference between basing glue and normal pva ? Is it the drying time perhaps.

I haven't made any specific comparisons Rob, I have used both but never considered what differences there may be, that said I have used Tacky PVA for most of my work / trial pieces and I've just gone with it time wise to be honest, no sense in rushing it I think.

G

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, bgman said:

I noticed the newer smaller applicator last week and i am tempted

If you mean the new(ish) Peco small grass applicator, then just remember that it has a very small space for fibres and doesn't do that much more that a larger applicator or a puff bottle can do.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Anyone know the difference between basing glue and normal pva ? Is it the drying time perhaps.

I'm not persuaded that there's enough of a difference to warrant the extra cost of the Peco product, having gone and bought a bottle of the stuff. I believe that the likes of Gordon Gravett still uses PVA.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A few blobs then spread about with an old credit card or similar

I use a cheap paint brush, one used for kids painting pictures, available from Hobbycraft and the like.

Just wash it in water when you've finished spreading the glue around.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

This afternoons shoot features Hall class 5998 Trevor Hall and a bit later, Castle class 5078 Beaufort.

Wasn't Trevor Hall on BBC Breakfast in the mid 80s?

And Bill Beaufort was on Question of Sport...

Ok, I'll go.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Having a long needed clear out in the railway room to make room for some more maybe use one day junk again.:rolleyes:

Plenty of old Hornby/Bachmann catalogues dating back to 2009 if interested. Free to a good home except for postage.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I see that the new Model Rail 16xx is being tested on what looks like Chris Nevard’s layout.

D789A4AB-A8D5-4CD0-BB78-7BCB087ADBEF.jpeg.8dd2f8622509e0eefd0e9d68594b79d1.jpeg

Interesting.

Yes, that's unmistakably a Chris Nevard layout and very nice it looks too, although I've lost track now of the layouts he's built!

By sheer chance, a Kernow Towers 16XX (in OO) is currently in the early stages of construction here, at Kernow Towers, whilst a P4 16XX, belonging to Re6/6, is currently sitting on the Kernow Towers rolling road.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3