A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Going back to the book "The Great Western in South Devon", I was perusing the rest of the book and found a couple of Brent area photos I had not seen previously, page 31, western approaches to Brent circa 1937 and 38 to 39 circa 1905 and Brent circa 1908 page 40, for those interested

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason I prefer this photo of them.

1662404470_DSCN5936(2).jpg.a12e088b35f7db8ace984e34563f9e08.jpg

Yes that's better, the coaches are arranged correctly. Train just needs to move on a further coach to the left to get all the best bits in shot...

Edit: just found a lockdown task for you Rob - adding some railway boundary fencing. :ok:

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Here is my BCK in close up and has a SR tail lamp fitted as I use it [ 6592] to tag on the end of my three coach set 239. I might be wrong but it would be also correct to put it in front of the set too.;)

1426361420_DSCN6707(2).JPG.54bf52598a5c0768430fee02b034e13f.JPG

See you do know which is which. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Going back to the book "The Great Western in South Devon", I was perusing the rest of the book and found a couple of Brent area photos I had not seen previously, page 31, western approaches to Brent circa 1937 and 38 to 39 circa 1905 and Brent circa 1908 page 40, for those interested

Interesting to see in one of those photos that the freight train's toad is travelling veranda first, something I rarely see modelled.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Interesting to see in one of those photos that the freight train's toad is travelling veranda first, something I rarely see modelled.

I thought every GWR BLT had a toad turntable. :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

See you do know which is which. 

I seem to remember you drawing me a diagram for the order.;)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Edit: just found a lockdown task for you Rob - adding some railway boundary fencing. :ok:

Where would the boundary be though ? I'd be tempted to follow a line across level from the bottom of the bridge. Any thoughts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Where would the boundary be though ? I'd be tempted to follow a line across level from the bottom of the bridge. Any thoughts.

Bottom of the embankment, top of the cutting. Basically claiming the features needed for the railway.

• Agree 7

22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Where would the boundary be though ?

I was always lead to believe that this thread never had any boundaries !

I will now wonder as lonely as a cloud :biggrin_mini2:

Yours

Not too Cirrus

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

12 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Bottom of the embankment, top of the cutting. Basically claiming the features needed for the railway.

I can't, unfortunately, remember where I read this, but the fence was actually set in from the boundary (a yard and a half comes to mind) to allow the railway access to the outside of the fence on its own land.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

I can't, unfortunately, remember where I read this, but the fence was actually set in from the boundary (a yard and a half comes to mind) to allow the railway access to the outside of the fence on its own land.

Yes, that's right. That space was used for drainage at the top and bottom of slopes.

• Informative/Useful 7

3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

I thought every GWR BLT had a toad turntable. :jester:

Through a lifetime of GW train sets, the Toad's veranda is always to the rear so subsequently we have all been seduced to think that is the correct way.  Is there a correct way?:)

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Just noticed the link to my review & thought I should expand a bit (the review that is, although I have been over indulging in cakes!)

I'd say it is very much a diesel era book, the first chapters have some history but the bulk is post modernisation. Lots of info given in chapters based around each traffic type (coal, cement, timber, agricultural, clay, etc, Speedlink and then Enterprise traffic). So very good for diesel fans (I've got a lot from it) but perhaps not so much for ANTB followers. ;)

HTH

Thanks Rich. Not for me either then.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Through a lifetime of GW train sets, the Toad's veranda is always to the rear so subsequently we have all been seduced to think that is the correct way.  Is there a correct way?:)

Brian.

I always understood there was a less draughty way round. They’ve only got a door at one end.

Rich 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I always understood there was a less draughty way round. They’ve only got a door at one end.

Rich 

That's probably true, Rich, but in general it wasn't possible to turn Toads between journeys (and even where it was I suspect it wasn't done as a matter of course).

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I need to put some stickers underneath the coaches A,B,C,D for their correct order as my failing eyesight, I need glasses, I can't easily read the coach numbers.

Funny you should mention glasses. I've needed them since my late '40s, which is fairly typical. I made tea about 5 this morning - not an un usual time for me - and while doing so one lens fell out onto the floor. Being plastic it survived, and, implausibly, I was able to find my unopened cheapo glasses repair kit and effect a full repair (tightening a screw) before the tea had cooled enough to drink. 

I'm glad you have a tail lamp on the BCK, because coincidentally the only vehicle I have so far fitted with one is the same high-window configuration, but in lined olive. Some of my operations require trains to split and join, and I have yet to work out how to achieve the addition and extraction of lamps to suit. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Isn't it the fence at the bottom to stop the sheep climbing up the embankment and at the top of a cutting to stop them falling on to track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Finally found the sketches I was looking for... Drawn by @Old Gringo for the BCB write up in the December 2012 BRM, here are three of John's drawings showing typical cross sections at grade,  cuttings and embankments.

rps20200606_123804.jpg.5609c28ec0145f7a18dce0d73a61d20e.jpg

rps20200606_124043.jpg.1cb6fbb3f98f93a327fe133861091041.jpg

rps20200606_124126.jpg.49a2439f526ec5f2e556c294caadb7a5.jpg

Plus some short notes on railway infrastructure he penned. 

rps20200606_123836.jpg.b7e9b932e1d197639bb790efafa64f18.jpg

Worth getting a back copy and reading the full article IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Isn't it the fence at the bottom to stop the sheep climbing up the embankment and at the top of a cutting to stop them falling on to track.

That's haggis you're thinking of Clive. Sheep don't fall. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

That's haggis you're thinking of Clive. Sheep don't fall. 

Only if you chase them “wrong road”.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at those sketches and it seems Mrs Honeyman isn't going to be happy with losing 6ft [24mm] along the length of her property at the boundary.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3