Jump to content

gwrrob

A Nod To Brent - Fun , friendly, frivolity and happy days in the South Hams 1947.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

 

It is our beholden duty then, to stand at the end of every heritage railway platform wearing a light brown anorak and to accost members of the public, saying, in a slightly strangulated voice:

"Of course, you know that livery is all wrong, don't you? I think you'll find that when it first left the works (I'll come back to that later) it wouldn't have been lined at all. You see..." Etc, etc...

:jester:

 

Then take a sip of your weak lemon drink.

 

 

I hope you don't spill the lemon drink on your notepad or camera?

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/meet-the-stars-of-new-tv-show-trainspotting-live/

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

 

Did you notice that when Mr Portillo and his companion got out of that train the loco had magically changed to a GW variety with a proper (brass) safety valve bonnet?

 

I love an old bit of Brass with a Bonnet. Must be the Mr Darcy in me (no sniggereing about that either).

  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reference Mr. Portfolio, what colour trousers has he worn this week, if I may ask such a sensitive question?  Don't suppose he even stopped at Plymuff or noticed Rob's Station as he struggled through on a nasty little bog cart that probably fell of as it was wafted by a light breeze and was crapped on by a seagull at Dawlish. Bet he knows nothing about the Splendid heritage of Spam at Exeter either. He needs a decent researcher (CK is free...…..)

Ar$£ 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

He needs a decent researcher

 

We could have told him about the secret railway at Starcross.

(no, nothing to do with the Atmospheric Railway)

  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

 

We could have told him about the secret railway at Starcross.

(no, nothing to do with the Atmospheric Railway)

Now I am hooked...…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't suppose anyone got anything from the Vectis Auction today? Their commission is a bit steep IMO.

Ar$£

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don't suppose anyone got anything from the Vectis Auction today? Their commission is a bit steep IMO.

Ar$£

Out bided on the ones I wanted. :cry:But you lot won't care as they were LNER or BR standards that ran on the ER. :cry:

  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the old us -v- them thing again, those who enjoy trains but don't know much about them versus those who profess to know about trains as they would have them.  The latter would like their trains as turned out in their original form (nothing wrong with that) but ignoring the fact that the average family could care less; all they want is a pleasant day out and a train ride.  A similar situation exists in the model world, some are content with Railroad series while others must have every detail whether you can see it or not! (nothing wrong with that either)  The fact that fare revenue is a prime source of income for the railway and the railway must generate that income as it sees fit.  Perhaps its Christmas lights or WW2 events, whatever, but whatever it is, it keeps the railway going for both factions to enjoy like the emergence of new builds and track extensions and other infrastructure additions such as the extension to Broadway.:)

     Brian.

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

, and a couple of seasons ago had a Manor painted in black (good ) and renumbered (bad, bad, bad, very naughty!). 

 

 

 

A black Manor,7827, near Saltern Cove.

 

2012720365_blackmanor.jpg.b8d72047b5c1cd889cd137f082635c1a.jpg

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Now I am hooked...…..

 

Just pulling your leg. Here it is on RailMap Online.

 

image.png.9cbd734e3b5230415fdf22dd71a11893.png

 

The officially history is that it was a light railway constructed in WW2 by the Canadian Foresters to haul out logs from the forests west of Starcross.

 

If you wanted to spin a yarn, some might say that it was also a supply route for the construction of one of the biggest Auxiliary Units bases and secret arms dumps in the Devon hills. I couldn't possibly comment.

 

Quote

Auxiliary Units were a secret resistance network of highly trained volunteers prepared to be Britain's last ditch line of defence during World War Two. They operated in a network of cells from hidden underground bases around the UK.

 

In effect, the SAS of the Home Guard. They weren't all the bumbling idiots portrayed on Dads Army.

 

In 1940, my dear old Dad literally bumped into one of their members here, at Eastrop Farm, close to their GHQ at Coleshill House:

https://www.coleshillhouse.com/eastrop-farm-anti-aircraft-battery.php

 

He was minding his own business minding one of the Anti-Aircraft Guns scattered around the Supermarine Spitfire factory east of Swindon, when the local Auxiliary Unit decided to use it for a training exercise.

 

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to explore what Auxiliary Units bases were in Devon and where they were hidden.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don't suppose anyone got anything from the Vectis Auction today? Their commission is a bit steep IMO.

Ar$£

 

Is that the one with 30% commission (plus VAT), and you have to arrange your own collection and delivery?

 

I was tempted by six Hornby Super-detailed Pullman cars, and bid £65 before I realised what the hidden costs would be. So in the end, glad I didn't win.

  • Friendly/supportive 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It's all about looking for custom from generations who post-date working steam, and trying to appeal to the kids, who know Thomas, Gordon, Henry et al by name and colour, not number. ISTR the same railway has a 'Braveheart' plate on a BR standard, and a couple of seasons ago had a Manor painted in black (good ) and renumbered (bad, bad, bad, very naughty!). 

 

The heritage sector, as often noted in these pages, needs income to survive. We, the true enthusiasts, form a small and diminishing part of the market that supports them. Sad fact. 

 

It was done from the start though. So late 1960s or early 1970s when steam was still a current memory, rather than being a modern thing. The BR built locomotives were either in fake GWR livery or Dart Valley.

 

Here's 1420 Bulliver on an old postcard. 1450 was Ashburton, 4555 Warrior and 4588 Trojan.

 

s-l300.jpg

 

 

 

 

Jason

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Out bided on the ones I wanted. :cry:But you lot won't care as they were LNER or BR standards that ran on the ER. :cry:

Oddly there was one of the types I wanted on E bay. It looked more expensive but having worked out had I won the one on Vectis with my maximum bid with all their extras added on the E bay one is cheaper. It needs repainting and possibly some work but I am still a modeller (I think). OK it is a B16/2 not a B16/3 but it will still look right on Sheffield Exchange. There was also a Black 5 and a Standard 5 at reasonable "buy it now" prices, these will become Caprotti locos.

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

 

Just pulling your leg. Here it is on RailMap Online.

 

image.png.9cbd734e3b5230415fdf22dd71a11893.png

 

The officially history is that it was a light railway constructed in WW2 by the Canadian Foresters to haul out logs from the forests west of Starcross.

 

If you wanted to spin a yarn, some might say that it was also a supply route for the construction of one of the biggest Auxiliary Units bases and secret arms dumps in the Devon hills. I couldn't possibly comment.

 

 

In effect, the SAS of the Home Guard. They weren't all the bumbling idiots portrayed on Dad's Army.

......

 

Interesting twist on the idea, although looks like it was actually WW1

https://starcrosshistory.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-black-forest-railway.html?m=1

There used to be some pictures in the Devon Arms in Kenton, before it converted to the Chi restaurant. I haven't seen any other pictures online.

  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting twist on the idea, although looks like it was actually WW1

https://starcrosshistory.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-black-forest-railway.html?m=1

There used to be some pictures in the Devon Arms in Kenton, before it converted to the Chi restaurant. I haven't seen any other pictures online.

I see a slight problem with the researcher's work. "The Line was worked by Italian and German POWs....." During the 1914 to 1919 conflict Italy was on our side.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting twist on the idea, although looks like it was actually WW1

https://starcrosshistory.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-black-forest-railway.html?m=1

There used to be some pictures in the Devon Arms in Kenton, before it converted to the Chi restaurant. I haven't seen any other pictures online.

 

Thanks, I had confused it with these:

https://www.devonnewscentre.info/remembering-the-sawdust-fusiliers-at-stover/


 

Quote

 

By October 1917, when the Canadian Forestry Corps left Stover, the 250 skilled foresters and sawyers based there had felled 700 acres of the estate, producing over 650,000 cubic feet of timber for the British Army.

It was sent to the battlefields in France and Belgium to be used for constructing trenches, dug-outs and roads and to make railway sleepers, huts, planking, posts and ammunition boxes as well as for fuel.

After the initial draft, the Timber Supply Department identified several other locations in Devon, and in June 1917 new camps were built at Mamhead and Starcross. They were supported by satellite camps at Chudleigh, Ashcombe, and Kenton.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

 

Is that the one with 30% commission (plus VAT), and you have to arrange your own collection and delivery?

 

I was tempted by six Hornby Super-detailed Pullman cars, and bid £65 before I realised what the hidden costs would be. So in the end, glad I didn't win.

Yes, on line is 30% but postage is free (I think). Think those auctions would be OK if attending and seeing stuff, but even then it is 25% Commission! Perhaps the only saving grace is that  one off stuff from Goddard et al seem to be reasonable prices even with the mark up.

P

P

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I'm sure the Starcross & Mamhead was also a Canadian Forestry outfit, I think it was mentioned as such in the old photos. I love to find out more, wonder if the Newton Abbot museum railway section has anything...

Apologies for going off topic (although it does seem to happen here!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

So that's where Kenton went then.

P

Kenton's been our home for 15 years! ;)

Edited by Ramblin Rich
silly phone keyboard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Kenton's been our home for 15 years! ;)

 

A village I know only for driving through it on my way to holidays for the last 35 years.:P

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

It was done from the start though. So late 1960s or early 1970s when steam was still a current memory, rather than being a modern thing. The BR built locomotives were either in fake GWR livery or Dart Valley.

 

Here's 1420 Bulliver on an old postcard. 1450 was Ashburton, 4555 Warrior and 4588 Trojan.

 

s-l300.jpg

 

 

 

 

Jason

 

A cute little tank.

 

Speaking of which...

 

E8_09c.jpg.92f029d4bbb894072b145b8ec0f989ed.jpg

 

Easy 8 needs a belly rub ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

 

A village I know only for driving through it on my way to holidays for the last 35 years.:P

 

Talking of holidays in the West Country and this place looks to be rather nicely done. Don't just book it, go to Luckett !

 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/24769626?check_in=2020-03-14&adults=2&source_impression_id=p3_1579367045_kBAY1kbe3JYUDW6Q&guests=2

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2020 at 08:51, Oldddudders said:

It's all about looking for custom from generations who post-date working steam, and trying to appeal to the kids, who know Thomas, Gordon, Henry et al by name and colour, not number.

 

ISTR the same railway has a 'Braveheart' plate on a BR standard,

 

In fairness, 75014 was named Braveheart by it's previous owners while it was being used up in Scotland on the summer Jacobite train.  The DSR simply kept its name.

 

On 17/01/2020 at 08:51, Oldddudders said:

and a couple of seasons ago had a Manor painted in black (good ) and renumbered (bad, bad, bad, very naughty!). 

 

Agree that renumbering not ideal, but sort of understand it given that they went for "Torquay Manor" which likely helped bring in some local customers.

 

On 17/01/2020 at 08:51, Oldddudders said:

The heritage sector, as often noted in these pages, needs income to survive. We, the true enthusiasts, form a small and diminishing part of the market that supports them. Sad fact. 

 

And unlike most of the heritage sector, the DSR is run as a business and isn't relying on donations or volunteers (my understanding), which means it has a better looking future than many heritage operations.

 

So yes, it's not for everyone.  But the plus side is that they aren't competing with the more authentic heritage operations for donations, and likely provide some much needed money to some when they hire in locos.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

 

Talking of holidays in the West Country and this place looks to be rather nicely done. Don't just book it, go to Luckett !

 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/24769626?check_in=2020-03-14&adults=2&source_impression_id=p3_1579367045_kBAY1kbe3JYUDW6Q&guests=2

 

Not only does being on RMWeb encourage me to spend money on toy trains it's now acting as a holiday agent! Saw this and we both said YES instantly. Booked for three nights on our journey to parts further west! :dirol_mini:

  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.