A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Hi guys. had you heard that the lovely Graham Bean has died just recently. Sudden and not C19 related. I think Stubby met him at the real Seaton Junction as I had some time ago? RIP GB.

Sad news and in the Obituaries section.

All the best to you all my friends.

Phil

A friend sadly lost.

Sleep well good friend

G

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning all and maybe John in Oz.... I have just found some old Kings Cross Plates for IKB (Black and Brass) and 3 X 86C Shedplates. Any use to anyone? Free of course.
To boldly go, I have Modelmaster Plates and Number decals  for 34050 and 30453. Free of course to friends.
Rob and friends, in the EM Gauge mag there is a large collection of  GWR stock (EM at the moment) available from the Club Sec for 'donations. Also some unconverted stuff and kits. 

If anyone wants the contact to discover the items then just ask me.

There are also some pro built LMS Period 1 & 2 Coaches.

Free to a good home is a 35' x 2'9" EM layout, based on SR 1950s/early 60s; ex Milton Keynes Xhibition layout, fully functional but no stock. Alsi a 12' x 8' U shaped SR Third Rail layout (no price mentioned for this one). Again info from me.

All the best chaps, keep the faith.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Good moaning all and maybe John in Oz.... I have just found some old Kings Cross Plates for IKB (Black and Brass) and 3 X 86C Shedplates. Any use to anyone? Free of course.
To boldly go, I have Modelmaster Plates and Number decals  for 34050 and 30453. Free of course to friends.
Rob and friends, in the EM Gauge mag there is a large collection of  GWR stock (EM at the moment) available from the Club Sec for 'donations. Also some unconverted stuff and kits. 

Free to a good home is a 35' x 2'9" EM layout, based on SR 1950s/early 60s; ex Milton Keynes Xhibition layout, fully functional but no stock. Alsi a 12' x 8' U shaped SR Third Rail layout (no price mentioned for this one). Again info from me.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Unfortunately none of those are on my own shopping list. However, I do know a man with an EM GWR layout who might be interested in the stock. If you could send me the contact details please I'll pass them on.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Phil, if no one else wants them for imideate use, IKB is on my planned locos list I am just not sure when I will get round to buying another Castle in order to model it.

I would also be interested in having a look at the GWR stock / kits list if I may please, Not entirely sure what I am looking for at the moment, but will know if I see it:P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just like Rich (The Fatadder) I would be interested "in having a look at the GWR stock / kits list if I may please, Not entirely sure what I am looking for at the moment, but will know if I see it"

And thanks for posting this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Phil, if no one else wants them for imideate use, IKB is on my planned locos list I am just not sure when I will get round to buying another Castle in order to model it.

I would also be interested in having a look at the GWR stock / kits list if I may please, Not entirely sure what I am looking for at the moment, but will know if I see it:P

Just remind me where to send those plates or let me know later if you would rather. The contact for the GWR stuff is Steve Young at editor@emgs.org    there is no actual list published; he has the details. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Trains&armour said:

Just like Rich (The Fatadder) I would be interested "in having a look at the GWR stock / kits list if I may please, Not entirely sure what I am looking for at the moment, but will know if I see it"

And thanks for posting this.

See above dude.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Well it has got a crimson colour to it, but that's down to the paint you used on it ;) 

whatsinthepot_04.jpg.5a708452de3ce0517cdb0f671c556363.jpg

And the whitemetal bits haven't fallen off (yet...). Amazing.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

And the whitemetal bits haven't fallen off (yet...). Amazing.

It looks like he's eaten all the ice cream though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Excellent,  great to see the mogul back in action!!!

I'm hoping it's appearance will encourage an invite to next weekend's virtual exhibition.:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi All, and especially Robin,

All the brilliant pics on this and all the other great (G)WR sites has frustrated me that I have nothing to show you!

Thursday's not unexpected news that the UK Government had extended the lock down a further 3 weeks added to my frustration as it also pushed back progress on my "Lower Thames Yard" layout dependent as it is on others for all aspects of the construction apart from scenic, which is one of the few areas I can do for myself to the standards I need.

So  yesterday, as reported on my layout thread, I started to think about how I could turn my small test track into more of a layout.  

I am pleased to report that my thinking has moved on since yesterday!

Firstly, checking the size of the "test track" board I realized that the 4ft x 2ft 6in dimensions I quoted in my thread yesterday was not the size of the board, but the size of the old desk that it sits on! The board is in fact 5ft 6ins x  3ft.

So space is not (quite) so restricted as I first thought.

Secondly, having played around with the layouts of all the intermediate stations on my chosen area, the Maidenhead to High Wycombe branch in 1960/2, none quite fitted.

However, last night while thinking out something entirely non railway related I had a brainwave!

So I have now started to look at the detail for what I am calling "Lower Thames Goods Shed".

This has a viewing position across the Branch from that described some days ago when detailing the trains on the branch in 1960/2.

Thus I am standing on the base of the old Maidenhead Middle Signal Box. I can see the branch tracks left and right, the Branch siding to the left, and kicking back off of it to the right the siding I had put into "Lower Thames Yard" for the repositioned Goods Shed.

Also to the left on my side of the branch line track is a short siding that in "Lower Thames Yard" leads to a pair of sidings for coal wagons and wagons dropped off of up goods trains, but here is just long enough to hold a few wagons or maybe a parcels van. To my right is the station and the ends of platforms 4 /5 but platform 4 only has a line that connects to the branch line, there is no up (or down) relief line.

Compromises will be several:-

Trains can only be tank engine plus 2 or 2.5 coaches long,  freights 5/6 wagons.

Curves will be second radius.

Although DCC can be used, the points will be manual as will signals.

Positives are that this layout will enable me to make a start on the goods shed. I think that will be in two halves so that the longer shed for "Lower Thames Yard" can be constructed by inserting a middle section.

I can also start on the Plat form 5 (Branch platform) overall roof, although this will probably need altering on the larger layout!

And I can also build one or two other buildings that can serve on both layouts. 

Most of all, of course, the big Positive, I can get to run some trains not just engines under test!!

Thus I am feeling positive about this idea, and if the weather stays good, later this coming week, I hope to make a start!

However, I mustn't get ahead of my self, there needs to be some further planning and some drawing first.

I will be reporting further on "Lower Thames Yard".

I hope your models are all proceeding well, and that you are all safe and well?

Best regards

Paul 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Whilst looking for something else I stumbled across an old, Summer 2000, issue of the Great Western Journal. Very pleased to find an article on main line freight from the Autumn of '46 that was very informative. Lots of trips to Tavistock Junction from the likes of Avonmouth, Oxley, Bristol, Bassaleg, Scours Lane, Rogerstone and Severn Tunnel. Most of the services were 28xx, Hall or Grange hauled, supplemented by the odd Austerity , 84xx ? and 30xx.

If anyone wants the finer details give me a pm.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3