A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

My first reaction was that the photo was ‘early’.

Except that the 9 Car sign isn’t!

Early modernisation plan so late 50s early 60s is my guess.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

My first reaction was that the photo was ‘early’.

Except that the 9 Car sign isn’t!

Early modernisation plan so late 50s early 60s is my guess.

Paul.

Makes sense.  At first I thought, "That can't be a DMU 9 car sign can it?  Must be something else I don't understand.".  But that's because I was assuming from the loco and the people that it was a 1920s photo.  Perhaps in its latter days 1363 was tarted up a bit by shed crews, including an attempt at a GWR buffer beam number?  

I remember a family holiday at Totnes in 1961, during which my 13 year old self took a train to Plymouth and managed to get into Laira depot for an hour or two without being turfed out. 1363 was present, IIRC, but I don't remember it being tarted up like that.  No doubt Robin will reveal all.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The photo in question is in the Middleton Press book 'Newton Abbot to Plymouth.' Taken in August '64 it would have been one of the last engines to take water there as we know the station closed in the October. 1363 had just been preserved and was heading to Totnes as there are other photos of her on the quay in the same book. The small numbers were obviously put on by the new owners.

Edited by gwrrob
talking bill hooks
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, john dew said:

What are the principal differences between the two makes?

Not that much John but they're readily available and have the straight boom I wanted. Ratio do a kit but it has the cranked version. I'd been watching Ebay for years for a MM one but got sick of waiting and so bit the bullet with Skytrex.

Better photos will be had when I build the down platform one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Not that much John but they're readily available and have the straight boom I wanted. Ratio do a kit but it has the cranked version. I'd been watching Ebay for years for a MM one but got sick of waiting and so bit the bullet with Skytrex.

Better photos will be had when I build the down platform one.

i has completely missed that, and just ended up buying the Ratio kit.  Another thing to replace...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 88C said:

I’m not an expert but have you tried Greenscene?

Yes but I think their fine scatter is better suited to trees than ground cover.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seen the Hornby Collett suburban coaches this cheap before.;) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R4880-Collett-Compartment-W5507W-Era/dp/B07N8BMS7J?pldnSite=1

Was listed at £25 but an hour later Amazon have put it to nearer rrp.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2020 at 15:59, The Fatadder said:

i has completely missed that, and just ended up buying the Ratio kit.  Another thing to replace...

Here is a photo of the down platform crane and it's interesting that this one doesn't have a fire devil. In the background is a very nice shed of sorts too.

1886449570_brentwatercrane(2).jpg.831569df8e3b7fc80b89d2eed2479590.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Yet another rabbit hole to disappear down, is there a corporate design for the wavy line dividing the brown/stone paint on the columns?
Rich

I was thinking the same thing......I spent forever trying to get my join lines perfect....shouldnt have bothered!

cheers

john

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2020 at 17:59, gwrrob said:

Can I ask any scenic experts for recommendations for a fine turf like Woodland Scenics do but in a range of various greens.

I would echo the Captain here, Rob. 

WWS in Swansea. Very good range and very decent to deal with. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I would echo the Captain here, Rob. 

WWS in Swansea. Very good range and very decent to deal with. 

Rob. 

And a free sheep with every order over £1368.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I do worry about ewe at times.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

You can always rely on young Spams to not say much for weeks, then slyly ,taunting us with a grenade.:angry:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

I have been the recipient of an act of kindness from Simon Castens at the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop. With my order of a couple of new books he kindly sent an additional item - a small book on the Somersetshire Coal Canal by Roger Halse. In keeping with the spirit of his action I'm now happy to post this on to anyone who would like to read it next. Please PM me your address if you are interested, first come first served.

20200416_143116.jpg.0c7c2c7e08a6089b9c5d7b12ffe476d1.jpg20200416_143056.jpg.656a0705cf1ad5971083e2cff0d8cdd6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Hi all.

I have been the recipient of an act of kindness from Simon Castens at the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop. With my order of a couple of new books he kindly sent an additional item - a small book on the Somersetshire Coal Canal by Roger Halse. In keeping with the spirit of his action I'm now happy to post this on to anyone who would like to read it next. Please PM me your address if you are interested, first come first served.

20200416_143116.jpg.0c7c2c7e08a6089b9c5d7b12ffe476d1.jpg20200416_143056.jpg.656a0705cf1ad5971083e2cff0d8cdd6.jpg

You could not bring it to the Virtual Show next weekend and sell it for a donation to the NHS fund.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys. had you heard that the lovely Graham Bean has died just recently. Sudden and not C19 related. I think Stubby met him at the real Seaton Junction as I had some time ago? RIP GB.

Sad news and in the Obituaries section.

All the best to you all my friends.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 8