A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Is Brent the new Ashburton ? :jester:

I think my mate Chris Lamacraft might have something to say about that ! :jester:

p.s. I believe his iconic layout is on display at Buckfastliegh station.

Edited by bgman

Well a Manor certainly never offends, so we see 7804 again , this time on an up service.

attachicon.gifDSCN0283.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0284.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0285.jpg

Robin

You may be able to tell me its prototypically correct, but that up starter looks to be the wrong side of the bridge to me.

Looking at the photo from the other end of the station its very difficult to view.

(Discuss)

• RMweb Gold

I think my mate Chris Lamacraft might have something to say about that !  :jester:

p.s. I believe his iconic layout is on display at Ashburton station.

I'm in Devon in July is the layout for general viewing ?.

N.O.Se-B'tard

• RMweb Gold

Robin

You may be able to tell me its prototypically correct, but that up starter looks to be the wrong side of the bridge to me.

Looking at the photo from the other end of the station its very difficult to view.

(Discuss)

Tony, its position is prototypically correct and I'm sure Mike will concur and give the reason for the position and lack of visibility for the crews.

• RMweb Gold

Robin

(Discuss)

The signal is in the right place - the point isn't.   It's Rob's railway but I think he's done it the right way in order to capture the correct appearance from the station end as moving the signal back would have looked distinctly odd.  It's only when you see it from certain viewpoints on the far side of the bridge that it doesn't look right because it is, of course, then obviously in advance of the fouling point.

I think that when 'nodding to Brent' you also need to nod to various other things and you have got to make some compromises - and this is one of them and I agreed with Rob that it would be the visually best place to put the signal.  So yes - it's not quite right but at least he's got a signal there and in any case with Great Western locking that point also locks the signal in rear of this signal (the Starter).

The signal is in the right place - the point isn't.   It's Rob's railway but I think he's done it the right way in order to capture the correct appearance from the station end as moving the signal back would have looked distinctly odd.  It's only when you see it from certain viewpoints on the far side of the bridge that it doesn't look right because it is, of course, then obviously in advance of the fouling point.

I think that when 'nodding to Brent' you also need to nod to various other things and you have got to make some compromises - and this is one of them and I agreed with Rob that it would be the visually best place to put the signal.  So yes - it's not quite right but at least he's got a signal there and in any case with Great Western locking that point also locks the signal in rear of this signal (the Starter).

Surely a lot of our layouts are compromises; the point is whether it still appears appropriate for the area modeled

Brian.

I'm in Devon in July is the layout for general viewing ?.

N.O.Se-B'tard

As far as I am aware, I will ask Chris next time we meet and let you know. He sometimes goes down and has a running session himself but has versed others in the running of the layout.

• RMweb Premium

chev32

Member Since 15 Oct 2009Offline Last Active Sep 09 2016 22:56

Rob, if you want to contact "chev32" there are other currently active members from Melbourne who may know him. Gwiwer and SRman come to mind immediately.

• RMweb Gold

Rob, if you want to contact "chev32" there are other currently active members from Melbourne who may know him. Gwiwer and SRman come to mind immediately.

Yes please, like Rich I'd like to see more photos if he still has it.

To follow up Mike's point [pun intended] here's what it should look like in model form.I have no knowledge of the owners name but the photos shew it to be a superb rendition. The photos were taken in 2003.Gorgeous.

post-126-0-26684200-1490807072_thumb.jpg

Nice, but not a great model when compared to yours Robin. The devil is in the details.

NO CORDYLINES!

How could he have missed them....   Unforgivable...    :punish:   :fool:

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

Someone else has had a go at building it once upon a time.If I thought it could work I'd try a low relief version.

Robin - do you need me to go and take some surreptitious photos of the outside of the building and get myself some funny looks in the process? There's not much any of us wouldn't do for ANTB.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3