A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

For such a puissant loco, the tender looks a little modest. After all these were intended for heavy freight. I know that because Deb had a tee-shirt many years ago with a pic of one and the words 'heavy freight' across her chest. The ensemble - and 'contents' - were much admired by a number of enthusiasts.

Good point, although 4K tenders weren't around when the class was introduced, they probably would have looked better with the larger one behind as did the 4700s  later.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Did any of the 28XX and (related) run with 4000 gallon Collet tenders?

I've never seen a picture of one (or saw one) with a 4,000 gallon tender.

But that poses the simple question of why they might need one and the answer to that is they almost certainly didn't.  Not only were they very economical on coal and water but freight trains stopped or were looped more than sufficiently to allow water to be taken enroute and at 6 tons the coal capacity of the tender was equal to that quoted for a 4,000 gallon tender.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Did any of the 28XX and (related) run with 4000 gallon Collet tenders?

Well, you did ask....

Warning! Pedantry Mode ON!

The solitary example of a 28' running with a Collett 4000 gallon tender in the BR era seems to be Croes Newydd's 2871 which was attached to one between January '54 and June '57

There is a rare photo of the loco in this condition in Mr. John Hodge's definitive article on the class in "Steam Days" February 2001. As with so much of Mr. Hodge's work it's an exceptionally well researched review of the class.

Turning now to David Maidment's (equally) excellent book "Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locos" there appear to be a couple of instances when 28's ran with a 4000 gallon tender. 

The class prototype itself, No 97 (later 2800) ran with "an early 4000 gallon design, of which twenty were built between 1901 and 1904." This would, of course, not be the Collett 4000 gallon design which we are all familiar with.

Between these two instances, some 50 years apart there is only one other recorded example. 2816 was attached to a Collett 4000 gallon tender between May 1943 and February 1944.

Turning to "Olddudder's" observation about the modest size of the normal 3,500 gallon tender: Mr. Maidment explains it well as follows. "Thanks to good quality coal, economic working and carefully spaced water troughs, a light six wheeled tender holding 7 tons of coal and 3,500 gallons of water was suitable."

I'd just like to say it's nice to see Rob post some pics of his 2884 (No gents, that not a 28'!), The GWR has become synonymous over the years with its glamorous four cylinder express locos, handsome mixed traffic engines named after stately homes and bucolic rural branch lines. Because of that the company's freight operations tend to get overlooked, which is a shame since the 2800 class, and its successor the 2884, were among the finest designs the company ever produced. I've read many accounts by former Western enginemen over the years and all agree the 28s were engines that would never let you down: Immensely powerful, sure footed, very fuel efficient and excellent tool for the job. Fortunately the Hornby models of the 28' and 2884 are very good indeed. I should know. I've got seven!  :blush:

Pedantry Mode OFF!

Andy.

PS. I have no connection to either publication mentioned above, merely a satisfied customer.

• Like 2

Guest 7007GreatWestern

The solitary example of a 28' running with a Collett 4000 gallon tender in the BR era seems to be Croes Newydd's 2871 which was attached to one between January '54 and June '57

As it happens, RMWeb contributor phil_sutters has uploaded a photo of 2871 itself, taken at Bristol Bath Road on 7th September 1956:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/77234-gwr-2-8-0-2871-bath-road-shed-bristol-7-9-1956/

The taller 4000 gallon tender is very apparent in this view. Interesting that it was seen at Bath Road, I thought St. Philip's Marsh was the depot for freight engines?

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

including the general Knowledge (in which I normally only get about 2 corrtect answers).

Sorry Ducky, but..........

Clearly no spelling questions in that show then?

Well Herbert, thank you for that kind comment. Normally I would not mind, however the way I am feeling health wise at the moment I'm going to ask that you don't be quite so quick to correct my failings.

Thank you.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Why couldn't 2816 have it between 46 and 47 rather than 43/44

Must say I'm tempted to dig out the modellers licence as that has an interesting look to it. There's something very old fashioned about the small tender compared with the 4000gl

• Like 1

I think you should all get a little culture this weekend, and I've got just the event for you:

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/events/detail/spring-steam-gala-2

Just spent a superb weekend at Swanage for the Bullied Fest.  All those Bullieds, superb weather and a lovely railway - what more could you want?  Our accomodation was within earshot of the loco shed so as we had breakfast we could here locos being prepared and smell the coal smoke!  Indeed last night I went to bed a little earlier than usual and heard the Wessex Belle return to Swanage - I realised that I hadn't lain in bed and heard a Bullied pacific running at night since 1967 - I really am getting old now!

• Like 4

As it happens, RMWeb contributor phil_sutters has uploaded a photo of 2871 itself, taken at Bristol Bath Road on 7th September 1956:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/77234-gwr-2-8-0-2871-bath-road-shed-bristol-7-9-1956/

The taller 4000 gallon tender is very apparent in this view. Interesting that it was seen at Bath Road, I thought St. Philip's Marsh was the depot for freight engines?

Andy.

The pictures are worth a lot of words!  My reason was that with the larger engines a bigger tender looked better aesthetically, or at least I thought so.  After seeing the pictures, I'm not so sure in this case.  While railways don't care that much for aesthetics there are some in this community who fret about such things and its always good to find satisfaction in such cases.  Another example was the eight wheeler from the Great Bear which fount itself behind even a 2251, which did appear overpowering.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Gold

I'm back after a great day out in North London.We might be nearly in the fourth division but our support was Premier League today.PUSB.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy.

Having just noticed this reference to Dad's photo of 2871, I have checked his log book and established that it was seen at Bath Road,  82A, but it was shedded at 84J Croes Newydd at that time. His visit to Bristol from our home on Mendip was a fruitful one, running to 12 pages in his log book. I have uploaded the entries to a new album in my gallery at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4209-john-sutters-loco-log-for-791956-bristol/ - just to make you jealous of the wide range of motive power he saw on one day.

• Like 5

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Having just noticed this reference to Dad's photo of 2871, I have checked his log book and established that it was seen at Bath Road,  82A, but it was shedded at 84J Croes Newydd at that time. His visit to Bristol from our home on Mendip was a fruitful one, running to 12 pages in his log book. I have uploaded the entries to a new album in my gallery at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4209-john-sutters-loco-log-for-791956-bristol/ - just to make you jealous of the wide range of motive power he saw on one day.

Hello Phil,

Thanks for sharing your Dad's photo and I hope you don't mind me posting a link to it. Did you know how rare photos of a 28' with that tender are? It appears it only happened twice in the history of a class of locomotive that was in service for around sixty years!

I've been wondering about 2871's presence at Bath Road, Bristol's premier shed and usually home to passenger locos. Freight locos generally resided at SPM I believe. Of course it wouldn't be unusual for a 28' to turn up at a shed miles from home. They were I believe often away from their home depots for long periods of time. But why 82A? What is intriguing is the possibility that it may, just may, have worked a passenger turn the next day. 7th September 1956 was within the 1956 Summer Timetable which ran from 11th June to 16th September. As it happens it was also a Friday. As we know, freight locos were often pressed into passenger service on Summer Saturdays in the 50s. So, did Bath Road's Shedmaster artfully get 2871 positioned at Bath Road ready to rescue the timetable in the event of an ailing "Hall" or "Castle" the following day? Did 2871 work a heavy North West-South West express through Brent the following day and if so what did the Finching sisters have to say about it? "Railway going to hell in a handcart Ethel!"?

I understand that 28s were pretty handy when pressed into passenger usage and rode considerably better than ROD or WD 2-8-0s. That being said, the footplate could become distinctly lively and running much above 50 m.p.h was not recommended!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil,

Thanks for sharing your Dad's photo and I hope you don't mind me posting a link to it. Did you know how rare photos of a 28' with that tender are? It appears it only happened twice in the history of a class of locomotive that was in service for around sixty years!

I've been wondering about 2871's presence at Bath Road, Bristol's premier shed and usually home to passenger locos. Freight locos generally resided at SPM I believe. Of course it wouldn't be unusual for a 28' to turn up at a shed miles from home. They were I believe often away from their home depots for long periods of time. But why 82A? What is intriguing is the possibility that it may, just may, have worked a passenger turn the next day. 7th September 1956 was within the 1956 Summer Timetable which ran from 11th June to 16th September. As it happens it was also a Friday. As we know, freight locos were often pressed into passenger service on Summer Saturdays in the 50s. So, did Bath Road's Shedmaster artfully get 2871 positioned at Bath Road ready to rescue the timetable in the event of an ailing "Hall" or "Castle" the following day? Did 2871 work a heavy North West-South West express through Brent the following day and if so what did the Finching sisters have to say about it? "Railway going to hell in a handcart Ethel!"?

I understand that 28s were pretty handy when pressed into passenger usage and rode considerably better than ROD or WD 2-8-0s. That being said, the footplate could become distinctly lively and running much above 50 m.p.h was not recommended!

I am afraid Dad was not in Bristol the following day to record what 2871 did next. In later years he made more extensive notes about the duties he saw locos perform, so had he been there he might well have recorded what 2871 did then.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I am afraid Dad was not in Bristol the following day to record what 2871 did next. In later years he made more extensive notes about the duties he saw locos perform, so had he been there he might well have recorded what 2871 did then.

Hello Phil,

I've just perused you Dad's wonderful records of the day; as you say quite enough to make one jealous!

'G.J Churchward' on the Down Merchant Venturer. 'Launceston Castle'on the 2:20 Bristol - Bath Spa. 'Leander', 'Rooke' and 'Morning Star' on shed. 5718 on the Bristol-Radstock-Frome local.  Sighhhhhhhh..............

Oh for an H.G. Wellsian Time Machine to transport one back to that day. I wonder if Amazon do them....?

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil,

I've just perused you Dad's wonderful records of the day; as you say quite enough to make one jealous!

'G.J Churchward' on the Down Merchant Venturer. 'Launceston Castle'on the 2:20 Bristol - Bath Spa. 'Leander', 'Rooke' and 'Morning Star' on shed. 5718 on the Bristol-Radstock-Frome local.  Sighhhhhhhh..............

Oh for an H.G. Wellsian Time Machine to transport one back to that day. I wonder if Amazon do them....?

Andy.

If he is looking down from on high (he was a clergyman and a well-behaved one as far as I know) I am sure he would be very pleased with the enjoyment his records and photos are giving people like yourself. Or we could work the time machine back just a bit so he could see for himself! Thanks for your kind comments, Andy.

• Like 4