class 33

Robert Shrives

simmonds25

You seem to missing an explanation why you did not by the CJM 33 on your first visit if it was so good?

The omission of the rubbing plate may be a commercial decision, if its that or no model which option is acceptable? The only read issue is that Dapol to often muck up liveries while doing it correctly would no be any more expensive.

As for me my GF 33 is still an acceptable model.

• RMweb Premium

It was fitted to the buffer beam of the 33/1's upon their conversion, it's like the bottom part of a coaching stock or EMU corridor connection bellows and Class 73;s have them as well.

I for one think that the Dutch livery one irrespective of any visual error is still waaayy better than the old Farish lump.

Edited by John M Upton

I was buying an O gauge Class 08 until I read about the livery errors Thanks RMweb! (lucky for me Tower were brilliant and refunded my payment, they also told me I was not the only one and they were forced to reduce their order with Dapol as a consequence - no wonder model shops go out of business when they loose money through others carelessness)

John

Now it seems that these are not livery errors at all, but liveries that some expert RMwebbers were not aware of! Dapol have explained in detail on their Digest. Seems you cannot believe everything posted by "experts".

Sorry for the length of this post, but I've been looking forward to one of these for for almost 5 years and need sound off.

I've lived through the soap opera like development. I've been shocked at the horrific 1st attempt that Dapol proudly showed off (and then promptly scraped) I've waited patiently for retooling, I've held my breath as dapols financial crisis deepened and I'd concluded that it would never arrive. But, the grey plastic version did arrive and I thought Dapol were finally listening to us and we would get a great model, despite the numerous price rises they imposed.

At TINGS at the weekend I heard Dapol had a limited number of class 33's for sale. Thinking all my Christmases had arrived at once, I paid quickly the full RRP (£128.00!)  and agreed to make a special trip back from Bournemouth the next day to collect it (it was needed for display). On Sunday, I gave it a quick check and noticed the rubbing plate was not in the accessory pack. when I asked, a panicked look appeared and it transpired that they had decided not to include this part after-all with the 33/1s because they considered it too expensive to factory fit and that modellers would not notice!).

Pretty P*SS poor show actually, especially after a 5am start.

Needless to say I requested immediate return of my cash (not as simple as you may think though - no receipt was issued! - should be able to trust a big company, right?) but eventually I got my cash and was able to use it as part payment for a CJM class 33 I'd spotted at another traders stand. Overall the CJM actually cost me about the same as two return trips from Bournemouth plus the full RRP of the Dapol product and I get a faultless quality product - you live and learn.

Perhaps a lucky escape though. Looking at the photos of the 33 from Saturday, the blue looks rather similar to the recent OO gauge class 73 colour and something is not right with the front window area, too narrow I think?

But the question is, why do they do this? why do the public still put up with it? Its the second disappointment in a week with Dapol - I was buying an O gauge Class 08 until I read about the livery errors Thanks RMweb! (lucky for me Tower were brilliant and refunded my payment, they also told me I was not the only one and they were forced to reduce their order with Dapol as a consequence - no wonder model shops go out of business when they loose money through others carelessness)

Every Dapol model is the same, Years and years of delays and penny pinching with inaccuracy and poor quality at the end. They are clearly a company struggling for survival in a world demanding increasing quality that they cannot or are unwilling to provide.

John

Sorry, but this does seem like an OTT rant, although for a first post perhaps understandably so.

However, I think it's potentially a little 'cut your nose off to spite your face'. Are you sure that the rubbing plate will not be supplied and isn't just missing on your example? After all it is pictured and mentioned in the instructions as an extra in the goody bag for the purchaser to fit. But it wouldn't be the first time a part was left off a model for claimed cost reasons - Farish did that with the cooling pipe on their class 47/7. And if it is it wouldn't be difficult to make them yourself or source from someone like Chris (CJM).

You mention getting a CJM class 33 instead but AFAIA they never produced their own class 33, just repainting the Farish version and, later, sitting it on an adapted Kato chassis because the Farish one is so inaccurate and weedy. Plus the 'push pull' 33/1 variant would have been converted with a TPM kit. That means your 'CJM' class 33 will be basically a Farish body, decent enough in it's day, but in comparison with the new Dapol one lacking glazed body-side windows, having a rather crudely moulded horn cover without the grill ends and top cut-outs, no wire cab door handrails, windscreen wipers moulded in to the glazing, and no working lights, as well as lacking being DCC ready, incorporating NEM pockets and so on.

G.

True enough, but CJM are upfront about this, and having a choice of handing my cash to an honest trader or a company with a history of serial errors and, [shall we just say] 'disappointing' end results I chose the former. Especially after the rather nondescript shoulder shrug I received in reply when I asked why an already tooled part had been cancelled - its even in the instruction sheet.

Also, once the initial buyers frenzy had worn off a little, I checked the pictures and the purple tint ain't right. The green also looks a bit too grassy for my taste.

Sounds like Dapol were also 'upfront' in telling you that the part was 'cancelled'. And there are more compromises/errors on the Farish body you now have than just a missing part. With it having less current 'standards' and features (no NEM pockets, no working lighting, not DCC ready, lacking wire handrails and finer more accurate details) than the Dapol version has, I think I'd have preferred the Dapol version without buffing plates and sorted them out myself - which would be a lot easier than trying to add those missing standards and fitting them to the CJM/Farish model. BTW Dapol do produce a rubbing plate in N gauge - it comes with their class 73 so you might well have been able to obtain them as spares from their nominated service provider. 

Finally, making colour comparisons with photo/pictures is fraught and definitely not an acceptable method of ascertaining colour accuracy.

G.

Before people start cancelling orders on what might be hearsay, can anyone point people in the direction of a stockist who would have n gauge rubbing plates (spares for the Dapol n gauge 73, a small supplier who does them in brass etc)?

Also, can someone who is a member of Dapol Digest please go on there (https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/class-33/project-managers-blog/331-class-33-decorated-samples) and ask if this part will be included.  Thanks. 

Edited by BR(S)

I won't attempt to impose my standards on to others, each to his or her own. But my decision was questioned by others on this forum and I simply attempted to explain that my ethical standards played a higher part in this transaction than my modelling needs.

I do not like to encourage deviousness and bad communication. It is accepted that Dapol do seem to consistently create excitement and then penny pinch at the last moment. I for one have made my choice in this respect.

Perhaps, if one is not a photographic professional then the intricacies of white balance under differing lighting and inconsistent application of colour spaces may yield inexact results, however I am fortunate in that although I earn my crust through the legal profession I am blessed with an understanding of these technicalities. My blessing also gives me a keen eye for colour match.

Sounds like you're more prepared to accept double standards in spending more on a model that has more features missing and more errors than a cheaper alternative.

And you think Dapol are the only ones to penny pinch - check out the missing cooling pipe on the Farish class 47/7. Or Heljan and Hornby in OO. I certainly don't accept that Dapol are any more guilty of your claims than many other manufacturers.

It's nothing to do with white balance but more about emulsions, printing and the effects of time. Trying to colour match with photographs is pointless regardless of your blessings. And being able to compare with liveries applied years ago is fraught as there is no specific standard - paint was mixed by depots (not necessary to an exact recipe) - for example it's accepted that some of the SR depots tended to paint their BR blue locos in a more greeny/turquoise colour than other parts of the country.

G.

I picked up the Dutch Cl33/1 (2D-001-021)  last week at TINGS, I've just got round to testing the loco and had a quick search through the detail bag and along with snowploughs, etched silver arrows and lots of pipes I found two moulded rubbing plates ready to be pushed on to the chassis. Must admit having read this topic I was having regrets purchasing at fully retail price, much happier now!

• Like 3

Excellent news about the rubbing plates.. Thankyou!

As regards paint colours, I read an article in a magazine that stated the depot foreman sent an apprentice to Woolworths for some yellow paint because Willesden depot had ran out of yellow to paint the ends of an electric loco! :scratchhead:

Cheers

Mark

As confirmed by correspondents the rubbing plates should be supplied in the detail parts bag.

If missing, then you need to go back to the retailer rather than start making your own surely?

Rubbing plates would be easy to make if they were missing. A nice little challenge. More importantly, is how good do they run and is the wiring inside any better than past models?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at the photos on the Hattons website and I notice that the GSYP version D6539 has the later exhaust arrangement and the uncovered horn enclosure. As far as I am aware no GSYP locos had this arrangement as it seemed to occur when in works for a repaint into BR blue.

Just been looking at the photos on the Rails website and wondering if Dapol have go their wires crossed again

D6539 has "late" exhaust plus open horn cover. D6571 has "original" exhaust and close horn cover.

As far as I know no green one ever had open horns - could be wrong but they were also closed early on in blue.

However there were a handful of green examples built with "late" style exhausts though without roof panel clips.

There was a deal of discussion on the old RMweb when the first Heljan examples appeared. Anyone with a copy of Power of the 33's can find a couple of photos. These were numbered in the 70's so have Dapol transposed the numbers and should the green syp be D6571 and plain green D6539 ?

Stu

Got my blue 33030 today.

Much better looking in the flesh.

Two minor errors...no ole warnings and mine has an ED shed sticker...about as far from EH as you can get!

Not sure about the roller blind as it wouldn't show when loco is on shed. What I might do is paint the whole middle window gloss black and use Fox route code numbers and cover with glass varnish. I think this might look better.

Blue and yellow shades are great. Just wish my 26&27 were the same colour.

Overall great model which is easy to correct livery for those that feel they need to.

Hope they produce dummies. Real shame there were no 26 dummies as if any loco needed double heading it's 33s and 26s.

Well done Dapol.

Got my blue 33030 today.

Much better looking in the flesh.

Two minor errors...no ole warnings and mine has an ED shed sticker...about as far from EH as you can get!

Not sure about the roller blind as it wouldn't show when loco is on shed. What I might do is paint the whole middle window gloss black and use Fox route code numbers and cover with glass varnish. I think this might look better.

Blue and yellow shades are great. Just wish my 26&27 were the same colour.

Overall great model which is easy to correct livery for those that feel they need to.

Hope they produce dummies. Real shame there were no 26 dummies as if any loco needed double heading it's 33s and 26s.

Well done Dapol.

With today's manufacturing costs...I don't think dummies are practical at all. Best look out for second hand ones in future.

And I'm glad they got the blue right. Now I hope they keep it as standard.

• RMweb Gold

Now these are in the shops, can anyone remember when they were initially announced? The period of time between announcement and availability might help to predict when the 50s will be on sale (not before 2018 is my gut feeling...).

Now these are in the shops, can anyone remember when they were initially announced? The period of time between announcement and availability might help to predict when the 50s will be on sale (not before 2018 is my gut feeling...).

So you're gonna base all your predictions on this one model? Nice...

FYI, The Class 33's went through an entire re-design and re-tool phase because Dapol wasn't happy with it. Little over 4 years for a model is not bad considering the average time from start to end is 3 years.

They are superb models, funny how you never predicted how good the Class 50's will be based on the Class 33.

PS: My apologies if you intended it to be funny..but knowing people's hatred towards two main manufacturers on this forum, it's simple posts like that that can make start another unwanted discussion.

Edited by MGR Hooper!