Prototype for everything corner.

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

.... Originally they would put a steam pilot (Grange/Hall) in front of a Warship (or a pair of Baby Warships) but this was soon stopped due to loose coal breaking the diesel cab windows.

After that the kettle had to go inside. ........

Not so much the occasional stray lump of coal ( which shouldn't be stray, of course ) but the inevitable fine char from the chimney which upset them poor delicate filtered diesels !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It's not the idea of a diesel pilot that surprised me, it's the fact that it was in rail blue.

Are you sure it is in rail blue? 

17 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Are you sure it is in rail blue? 

What else would it be with an all yellow end, and the SR was slow to adopt the full yellow end. There was a long period when blue diesels and steam locos were together on the SR. Even though steam persisted longer in the North West it was the SR that used them latest on the majority of express passenger trains to the South West. It didn't finish until 9 July 1967.

And as others have mentioned, plenty of diesel plus steam photos, especially in the far west.

Paul

10 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

What else would it be with an all yellow end, and the SR was slow to adopt the full yellow end. There was a long period when blue diesels and steam locos were together on the SR. Even though steam persisted longer in the North West it was the SR that used them latest on the majority of express passenger trains to the South West. It didn't finish until 9 July 1967.

And as others have mentioned, plenty of diesel plus steam photos, especially in the far west.

Paul

Not you as well? 

I don't think we are referring to the same photo. 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, daveyb said:

Train set curves and a large loco? Here's the prototype situation... (plus a few nearly 90 degree crossings and a mix of modern and steam traction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlK61l6yQI

And the operator is demonstrating how very very slowly it will go, even though they drive a bit quicker on the real railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Not you as well? 

I don't think we are referring to the same photo. 

I think the blue loco montyburns56 is referring to is a class 33 at the end of the previous page. What has caused confusion is that his comment “It's not the idea of a diesel pilot that surprised me, it's the fact that it was in rail blue“ appears below a different picture. I don’t think he’s suggesting that the split headcode box peak is blue. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

The yellow end on the peak is unusual, I thought it either stayed below the headcode boxes or went right to the top of the nose. Stopping at the top of the headcode boxes is something I've not seen before.

Possibly D82 as there are other pictures of that loco with that panel rendition.

June1965 Bath:

15003048753_8263a01e63_b.jpg

However August 62 Leeds ('t other end?):

p2748441077-3.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

I think the blue loco montyburns56 is referring to is a class 33 at the end of the previous page. What has caused confusion is that his comment “It's not the idea of a diesel pilot that surprised me, it's the fact that it was in rail blue“ appears below a different picture. I don’t think he’s suggesting that the split headcode box peak is blue. 

I first saw the top of this current page, which seems to imply that he was suggesting the peak is blue, unless montyburns has pasted in the wrong photo and didn't notice?

I cannot imagine someone would ask the question of the colour photo, immediately underneath a single b/w photo; but I may be wrong. 

37 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I first saw the top of this current page, which seems to imply that he was suggesting the peak is blue, unless montyburns has pasted in the wrong photo and didn't notice?

I cannot imagine someone would ask the question of the colour photo, immediately underneath a single b/w photo; but I may be wrong. 

I was referring to the Class 33 picture that I posted. I was also replying to someone else who posted a picture of a Peak piloting a stream loco as they thought that was what I thought was unusual, but it's a rail blue loco piloting a steam loco that I thought was noteworthy.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I was referring to the Class 33 picture that I posted. I was also replying to someone else who posted a picture of a Peak piloting a stream loco as they thought that was what I thought was unusual, but it's a rail blue loco piloting a steam loco that I thought was noteworthy.

Ok, I'm sorry about my misunderstanding. 

I believe the push-pull fitted 33s were painted blue by early 1967 in order to work with the new electric units and present the corporate image as the EMUs/TCs were delivered. So there was about 6 months where the combination of a 33/1 and a steam loco might have occurred.

That must be quite a rare photo, nevertheless. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Possibly D82 as there are other pictures of that loco with that panel rendition.

June1965 Bath:

15003048753_8263a01e63_b.jpg

However August 62 Leeds ('t other end?):

p2748441077-3.jpg

They are different ends of the same loco. The radiator is trailing in the first picture and leading in the second.

I really should know which end is #1 and which is #2, especially on a 45, with the amount of time I've spent in one. IIRC the radiator is the obvious external clue which determines it (obviously doesn't work in a symmetrical loco like a Deltic or a Western).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

They are different ends of the same loco. The radiator is trailing in the first picture and leading in the second.

I really should know which end is #1 and which is #2, especially on a 45, with the amount of time I've spent in one. IIRC the radiator is the obvious external clue which determines it (obviously doesn't work in a symmetrical loco like a Deltic or a Western).

No1 end is the radiator end on real locos 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Ok, I'm sorry about my misunderstanding. 

I believe the push-pull fitted 33s were painted blue by early 1967 in order to work with the new electric units and present the corporate image as the EMUs/TCs were delivered. So there was about 6 months where the combination of a 33/1 and a steam loco might have occurred.

That must be quite a rare photo, nevertheless. 

Early '67 wasn't too far off being able to see a 33, still in original green (no yellow panel/end), hauling a blue TC.

(pic in BR Fleet Survey 3 or 4, Haresnape/Ian Allan, don't have it any more so don't know the date of the pic)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Where there's a will there's generally a way - I once oversaw the crossing of a tamping machine between two tracks using just a diamond crossing (following the 4-CEP / 319 collision outside London Bridge in '99) …………. daresay others have similar tales :D

• Like 1

AFAIK all of the push pull fitted BRCW Type 3s were painted blue as part of the conversion process.

The first one however was still green when the equipment was first fitted for trials and IIRC had a different size/shape of syp. I'm not sure if the rubbing plate wasn't slightly different too.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79136-class-25s-in-two-tone-green-and-later-numbers/&do=findComment&comment=1307275

Edit: added link and there is no rubbing plate.

Edited by leopardml2341

14 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

AFAIK all of the push pull fitted BRCW Type 3s were painted blue as part of the conversion process.

The first one however was still green when the equipment was first fitted for trials and IIRC had a different size/shape of syp. I'm not sure if the rubbing plate wasn't slightly different too.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79136-class-25s-in-two-tone-green-and-later-numbers/&do=findComment&comment=1307275

Edit: added link and there is no rubbing plate.

I remember being a bit gobsmacked by that photo the first time around. 

• Like 1