Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

Evening

Whilst reading the GUV thread, I wondered what the longest time a wagon has been abandoned for and is still there. Until very recently the GUV at the back of Derby station would have stood a good chance. Any other contenders?

NB! I've discovered google to correct the mis-splat title.

Edited by 18B

• RMweb Gold

There are still a couple of guvs in oxford station

There was some sort of s&t training train in preston for a while too but that has gone now

Wagon wise, a couple still sat in sutton park next to the old post office, one in longport and one in cockshute sidings that have been there for a long long time

As for a whole train, the "drain train" has been sat in bescot out of use for a good 20 years

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether it is still there or not because it's a long time since I travelled through Bolton by train, but there was a Sealion or Seacow full of ballast in a siding near the site of Burnden Junction for the 17 years I lived in Bolton (until 2008).

Edited by Moxy

• RMweb Premium

At Three Bridges there is a GUV used for station cleaning materials suronded by bushes on one side of the loading dock oposite platform1. However the points giving access to the rest of the network were lifted decades ago and the vehicle itself is so surrounded by trees and Buddleia, etc you wouldn't know it is actually sitting an rails.

post-658-0-13022100-1389902695_thumb.png

I don't know whether it is still there or not because it's a long time since I travelled through Bolton by train, but there was a Sealion or Seacow full of ballast in a siding near the site of Burnden Junction for the 17 years I lived in Bolton (until 2008).

Both Sealion/cow wagons are still there and just visible through the trees now the leaves have dropped off. Now joined by some newer wagons parked on the other side of the lines on the west side - two crippled EWS (DBS) MLAs and one Network Rail MLA that were shunted out of an engineers train in autumn last year. Originally there was another NR MLA but this was removed sometime at the start of December one night and the other wagons shunted and split up. The remaining NR MLA is on three wheel skates and is parked near to the lattice footbridge that crosses the lines south of the station.

Is the Grampus at Helsby station still there? On the Chester side of the station just beyond the station platform.

Cheers Paul

Are the 2 derailed flatrols still sat next to the Up Catford loop near Bellingham ??

That'll be 20 years ish if they are...............

Yes they are still there but now covered in grass I saw them when on a railtour.

Lee,HSTFAN13

The panel-less frame of an SPV, ex-Fish Van is still at the blocks inside the old roofless Wembley Heavy Repair Depot, next door to the wheel lathe.  It's visible on Google Earth.  It's been there since approx 1988.  It had been a bedding store.

I recall some camera crew did a glamour calendar shoot in there sometime circa 1999.  There were a couple of standard brake vans there too at that time, which later got weighed-in during a scrap purge.

Guest spet0114

There's a bunch of old locos, coaches and wagons in a big building just north of York station. They never seem to go anywhere.....

There used to be a load of Cartics, BR ferry vans and other odds and sods somewhere near Ripple Lane. If still they're still there (they were certainly there last April) then it must be 20 years+ since they last turned a wheel.

There is the wring train sitting outside the Network Rail yard at Portabello. There is a tank wagon(45158), a burnt out break van(B954479), a SPA(460951), and a van(096053/B783686)

in an old yard just outside Shettleston. There is also meant to be a flat wagon at Cleland station with a tree in it + some mermaids down the side of the bank at Glen Falloch

Wagon wise, a couple still sat in sutton park next to the old post office, one in longport and one in cockshute sidings that have been there for a long long time

These were left there after two ballast trains collided near the Chester Rd bridge in either 1998 or 1999 (I think). One ended up inside the other.

Two wagons went down the bank too and I'm not sure if they are still there in the undergrowth about 200yds Walsall side of the bridge.

Andy

There used to be a load of Cartics, BR ferry vans and other odds and sods somewhere near Ripple Lane. If still they're still there (they were certainly there last April) then it must be 20 years+ since they last turned a wheel.

IF there is a Cartic and it is the BR designed type (used by several private companies) then it should be a candidate for preservation!

Paul

There's two in the former Northwich yard:

1. A SNCF four wheeled flat wagon. I think these were used to convey anti-knock compound from Plumley to the continent. Not sure when the traffic ceased, but it must be by the end of the train ferry in the early 90's - and the plumley plant closed before then as well, I think. As I pass it in the morning, I often wonder if they're still looking for it.

2. There's a grampus as well, which is now getting well hidden by the usual collection of silver birch on the north side of the line.

Regards

Richard.