Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

The wagons at Diss have now gone, there was a mineral wagon at Whittlesford for a while. There was also a 4 wheel van at Norwich station for a long time, as well as a departmental 'staff training coach' that was in intercity livery, and I believe was used as a testbed for Anglia livery. I would have thought the wagon at Snape Maltings might hold some sort of record, I believe it was refurbished for the opening of the concert hall by the Queen in 1967!

Edited by Lord Summerisle

A slight deviation...

If you follow the link that Andi gives, there is a large shed in the foreground (Barking Storage?)- on the opposite side of that to the yard are a pair of sidings in a fenced-off area, with two large tractor-shovels being used to handle what looks to be coal. Does anyone know what that traffic might be? It's definitely being used to load wagons, not unload them, as this type of machine would be no use in unloading wagons.

Coal from Tilbury Power Station, roaded to Barking then it went by rail to Didcot. This was a couple of years ago now.

• RMweb Premium

Was still there when I went past before Christmas (well at least I thought I saw it).

For years there was a MR (not LMS) box van in the yard in st Helens Shaw st. Still there as late as perhaps 88 when it was cut up.

Also seem to remember 2 oe 3 very old wagons stationary for years in the BICC siding at Prescot too.

I remember seeing in Belgium a line of vans which had been there so long in a siding that trees with trunks 3 or 4 inches wide had grown right through them!

There is the wring train sitting outside the Network Rail yard at Portabello. There is a tank wagon(45158), a burnt out break van(B954479), a SPA(460951), and a van(096053/B783686)

in an old yard just outside Shettleston. There is also meant to be a flat wagon at Cleland station with a tree in it + some mermaids down the side of the bank at Glen Falloch

I was going to mention the ones in shettleston down yard but I didn't know the numbers. There is another wagon looks like a pipe wagon on the other side of the line in the up yard.

At Three Bridges there is a GUV used for station cleaning materials suronded by bushes on one side of the loading dock oposite platform1. However the points giving access to the rest of the network were lifted decades ago and the vehicle itself is so surrounded by trees and Buddleia, etc you wouldn't know it is actually sitting an rails.

Still there, not the best of pictures, (understatement of the year!!) Only had camera phone, wasn't expecting to be there!

post-3744-0-13003900-1390392955_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Longer than that - they were there in 1988!

Aren't they used for fuel storage?

They may have been but are well past it now. Hopefully they were emptied a long time ago. Vegetation and waste spoil have taken over most of the track work in the yard.

• RMweb Gold

Two wagons went down the bank too and I'm not sure if they are still there in the undergrowth about 200yds Walsall side of the bridge.

Andy

the 2 down the bank, aka "badgers lunchbox", were finally removed when sutton park was resignalled a few years back

• RMweb Premium

There was (or if it still is it won't be for long) a hopper wagon in the undergrowth in the engineers sidings at Chesterton just north of Cambridge. It's days must be numbered as the whole site is going to become the Science Park Station...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

For many years after the Leeds London line was electrified there was a brake van abandoned on the 'Viaduct Line' that used to be the main approach line from London before Geldred road Junction ws removed in 1990 (I think).  The line from the station onto the viaduct was electrified for several hundred yards to act as a stabling siding for mark IV sets until the line to Neville Hill was wired.   The track was left in place as far as Geldered road and the brake van was parked near Domestic Street as a form of buffer stops.  It gradually got smaller and ended up as a chassis with a brake column in the middle of it.  It dissappeered around the Millennium when the connection and the track on the viaduct was lifted during the reconstruction of Leeds  Station.   

Jamie

Literally dug up during the Northfleet project on the site of the old cripple sidings.  ID anyone?  (I wonder if it might not be the remains of one of the old quarry wagons  - solebars look too unsubstantial for anything main line).

post-11245-0-25300800-1390609523_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brake Compo
  • Like 3