Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

When I lived in wolverton in the late 80's, their was what looked like a nuclear flask wagon in a siding next too the main carpark.

At the Bletchley end of the Bedford to bletchley line. Theirs an old coach which looks burnt out and rotting away just past the old TMD .

Try this LMS CCT at Leeman Road it has stood for over twenty years!

Does anyone know its identity as almost all trace of Lettering has been lost to the elements?

attachicon.gifLMS CCT.jpg

Mark Saunders

a 2 second search on the vintage carriage trust website gives us-

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4635

• RMweb Premium

There has been a wooden bodied carriage in field next to Whistely Bridge between Twyford and Reading for many years. I first found it in the early 90s . It's very ancient and was used as a log store. I just checked on Google Earth (street view ) and it's still there although covered in vegetation. I can't post a screen capture as it's copyright, but if you search fir Whistley Green Berkshire, it's just on the north side of the bridge in street view. Anyone know anything about it?

Looks to be a four wheeled coach.

• RMweb Premium

When I lived in wolverton in the late 80's, their was what looked like a nuclear flask wagon in a siding next too the main carpark.

At the Bletchley end of the Bedford to bletchley line. Theirs an old coach which looks burnt out and rotting away just past the old TMD .

Is that the burnt-out LMS 50' BG?? That's been there for decades... used to see it every year when expoEM was at Bletchley!   And, looking at Bletchley yards on Googlemaps, there what appears to be a brakevan chassis off the rails next to the yellow trackmachine: http://goo.gl/maps/dllks

Got a better picture of the GUV at Three bridges

attachicon.gif2014-01-30 11.14.08_s.JPG

attachicon.gif2014-01-30 11.14.16_s.JPG

BR CCT, rather than a GUV, based on it's length and roof detail . Looks like additional window(s) at each end though?? or maybe just rust...

Edited by CloggyDeux

• RMweb Premium
Tim H, on 20 Jan 2014 - 21:46, said:

Longer than that - they were there in 1988!

Aren't they used for fuel storage?

No, not anymore. I think there was a heating oil business there at one time.

They are still there but are slowly being consumed by nature and the sea air, they're in a very poor state.

The following wagon was until recently a feature of the small ex Telecoms yard just outside Exeter St Davids station.

I grabbed this pic of it whilst refurbishment works were under way in the sidings about 12 months ago.

I sadly neglected to take any pictures of it before it was lifted from its resting place, saw it many times over the last few years. It was practically encroached in mature Silver Birch trees that were just to the right in the shot!

When I returned to the yard a couple of weeks later, it had gone, presumably sold for scrap.

Shame really, it looked like it was in fairly good condition.

post-299-0-60495200-1391198477_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-51431500-1391198512_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

No, not anymore. I think there was a heating oil business there at one time.

They are still there but are slowly being consumed by nature and the sea air, they're in a very poor state.

The following wagon was until recently a feature of the small ex Telecoms yard just outside Exeter St Davids station.

I grabbed this pic of it whilst refurbishment works were under way in the sidings about 12 months ago.

I sadly neglected to take any pictures of it before it was lifted from its resting place, saw it many times over the last few years. It was practically encroached in mature Silver Birch trees that were just to the right in the shot!

When I returned to the yard a couple of weeks later, it had gone, presumably sold for scrap.

Shame really, it looked like it was in fairly good condition.

attachicon.gifZCV.jpg

attachicon.gifZKV.jpg

Managed to get a couple pi'c of this one also. I believe a preservation group may have looked also.

There was a couple of mineral wagons at nearby Hele and Bradninch sidings (Paper mill) long after disconnection.

What type of wagon is that? I don't think it's a type i've ever noticed before.

It's an ex ARC or Yeoman PGA hopper converted to a Gunnell with lowered sides and extended ends. They where converted in the early 1990's and usually painted in Dutch colours and used for ballast movements.

Vin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

BR Brake van at Frome Station just noticed

Ah yes, I remember that one although its not actually abandoned as such, its being restored by its present owners. I was up that way about 18 months ago and it was covered in tarps with various evidence of it being worked on. Progress looked to be very slow and sporadic though.

• RMweb Premium

Gary, No tarps at beset just bare wooden framing. Probably blown away by the recent wind.

Well it would be a shame if the owners have given up on it / lost interest. I also remember it having some scaffold around it?

Lovely vehicle to restore I reckon!

There has been a wooden bodied carriage in field next to Whistely Bridge between Twyford and Reading for many years. I first found it in the early 90s . It's very ancient and was used as a log store. I just checked on Google Earth (street view ) and it's still there although covered in vegetation. I can't post a screen capture as it's copyright, but if you search fir Whistley Green Berkshire, it's just on the north side of the bridge in street view. Anyone know anything about it?

Looks to be a four wheeled coach.

Could you post the link to that? (That doesn't breach copyright) as I'm struggling to find it on Google.

Many thanks

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

I just checked it on a Google earth. It's at 5degrees27'50.90"N, 0degrees51'58.28"W.

You need to look NNW from the road on street view. Just south of Whistley Green bridge. The coach is in the field covered with vegetation.

Hi Richard

I just checked it on a Google earth. It's at 5degrees27'50.90"N, 0degrees51'58.28"W.

You need to look NNW from the road on street view. Just south of Whistley Green bridge. The coach is in the field covered with vegetation.

5º27'N, 0º58'W put s you somewhere near Accra in Ghana.  Try  51º27'50.90"N, 0º51'58.28"W

• RMweb Premium

5º27'N, 0º58'W put s you somewhere near Accra in Ghana.  Try  51º27'50.90"N, 0º51'58.28"W

I really must get some new fingers, or eye balls.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding Ripple Lane, the large storage shed is the old Stora depot (still called that unofficially), now with DB Schencker signs. The two sidings with the diggers are used for unloading the Peak Forest - Stora 6Z46 stone train, usually hauled by a EWS 66 comprising around 10 EWS-liveried MEA 2-axles at the "London" end and a similar number of varying bogie boxes.I pass every day on my commute into London.

The train runs onto a spur from the down line, then reverses into the two sidings. Once unloaded,  it crosses the down line from the spur, into the wilderness behind the container terminal, where the engine runs round, and waits in the old depot approach track under the Renwick Road bridge. It's there waiting at 17:30, but the WTT shows it departing at 19:37.

There is definitely a line of cartics on the down side of the shrubbery. The whole site is a real disgrace but would cost probably in excess of £100k to make presentable and remove the eyesore wagons.