Washout at Dawlish

Just of the end of Canvey Island is the site of the sinking of a wooden barge carrying barrels of cement. Naturally the barge and the barrels have rotted away but the cargo is still there in barrel shaped lumps!

Reminds me of that story of the "paint tin" found at Pendre Works when the Preservation Society took over - all the "tin" had rusted away and all that was left was a skin of dried-up paint in the shape of the tin!

• Like 1

Taska 1 is a 'road transportable workboat' - very innovative vessel it seems and has a 4 ton bollard pull which means it's not exactly a slouch when it comes to towing.  Did it come by sea or lorry?

could not say, it was already moored up when I photoed it yesterday afternoon

• RMweb Premium

I took a trip down to Gravesend today. At about 1:45 pm I saw a barge of the same type with a crane aboard going downriver. Unfortunately I was too far away to see any details. I was just wondering if this was the second barge en route to Dawlish.

• RMweb Gold

I took a trip down to Gravesend today. At about 1:45 pm I saw a barge of the same type with a crane aboard going downriver. Unfortunately I was too far away to see any details. I was just wondering if this was the second barge en route to Dawlish.

The second barge is coming from the Netherlands, so it may have come via Gravesend...

Glad to see the first one was in position as previously informed to me!

leaving Teignmouth docks

post-22449-0-15527700-1410031507_thumb.jpg

not a lot of clearance with the moored boats

post-22449-0-18720200-1410031547_thumb.jpg

coming through the narrows off point car park

post-22449-0-64067900-1410031617_thumb.jpg

coming up to The Ness

post-22449-0-92484700-1410031663_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-72511400-1410031710_thumb.jpg

Reaching Dawlish off the Old Lifeboat House

post-22449-0-44853100-1410031741_thumb.jpg

approaching site

post-22449-0-01559800-1410031815_thumb.jpg

at this point maneuvers hesitated

and the far off left leg appeared to be dropped down onto the seabed

post-22449-0-65922900-1410031865_thumb.jpg

so that the whole rig could be slewed round, pivoting on that leg

post-22449-0-01160900-1410031901_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-65625000-1410031920_thumb.jpg

just before final placement

Network Rail sent a special train down to check on the guys!!!!!!!

post-22449-0-80045000-1410031965_thumb.jpg

in position, with another train in frame

post-22449-0-91054800-1410032651_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-24410100-1410031426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 11

Don,

Really appreciate your photos sir.

Next time your down at Boat Cove can you see if some 'cops' by some intrepid spotter in the 70s/ early 80s are still there - I'm sure it used to say 46044 and 45xxx on the left hand side of the Kennaway tunnel portal, and last time I looked I think they were still there.

In about 1983 I repainted a mainline 00 peak and renumbered it as 46044 using A1 detailing parts (who remembers them), with sealed beam headlights on the strength of the 46044 number at the tunnel entrance.

If the number is still there god knows what was in the paint.......

My favourite lower quadrant home signal, ( with sighting board) used to show a train was imminent in my summer holidays at the Beach Hotel in the 70s. Love your photos of Dawlish Don - just wish there was more freight.

Something new seems to have arrived

Matt Wood

9post-19606-0-78978800-1410040174_thumb.jpeg

Light Engine,

Cor. Your quote of my original post makes it sound as though I have spotted 'something new seems to have arrived'' -

I'd love to be in South Devon, but I am continuing to do the devils work here in the east. trying to plan for things like new schools, housing etc 'as an enemy of enterprise' (conservative government choice of words referring to the planning system and I am a town planner by profession).

Not normally a fan of misapplication of paint (something to do with being a middle aged grumpy old git I think), however that is a quality bit of art work.

And whoever did it had the decency not to mask the loco numbers.

Beats the 'tags' on every signal cabinet, bridge, line side building etc from here in Watton on the Hertford loop, in to London. (Though those less artistic additions have not yet peppered the ERTMS signalling equipment, of which there is an unbelievable amount, currently being trialled on the Hertford loop).

I wonder whether the paint will withstand the elements for as long, or as well, as the peak numbers. - the yellow always made my Dad refer to the episode of Only Fools and Horses when Trotters Independent Traders redecorate a Chinese restaurant using hooky tins of luminous speed sign paint for use in tunnels!

Less talented artists ought to resist the temptation to amend, deface or add their own inferior work, and simply jump straight in the English Channel, returning to something akin to the primordial ooze from which I consider, ( turning on grumpy old git mode again), most taggers and outdoor painting 'artistes' have emerged so recently.

NB not that I am comparing the soothing waters of Dawlish, Teignmouth etc to primordial ooze - beautiful clean water these days but you take the fundamental analogy.

However - that is undeniably art of some quality.

Regards Matt W

Edited by D826

Most of yesterdays photos were stills from a HD video cam

but here's 3 from my camera of the big tug

it proves to be 

the INDUS 

with 

FALMOUTH

on the side

they appeared to use hydraulic jib to keep the tow, when slack, free from the prop

post-22449-0-71740100-1410075161_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-63404000-1410075180.jpg

post-22449-0-69455300-1410075199.jpg

jib detail from HD still

post-22449-0-19420000-1410075424.jpg

• Like 6

NB not that I am comparing the soothing waters of Dawlish, Teignmouth etc to primordial ooze - beautiful clean water these days but you take the fundamental analogy.

However - that is undeniably art of some quality.

Regards Matt W

Hi Matt

Presently the sea, for 20 metres or so extent from the beach looks like a primordial ooze. From Sprey Point towards Dawlish the red stained sea remains. Hopefully a good thrashing by the winter wave action may clear it.

I am not sure that the sea wall repair gang made repairs to the base of the sea wall where damage existed. So we may well find that wave action in those areas causes problems. The beach groynes at Teignmouth, Dawlish and the Warren have over the years been wrecked and in large parts are non existent. Since February the height of the sand along our beach has varied quite a lot and that is with fairly calm seas. What will happen this winter remains to be seen.

Earlier in the year I photographed some rusting metalwork and timber that had been exposed on Teignmouth beach (nearest the town), this is now buried again and cannot be seen.

In February, after the storm, I stood on the sand and could see over the sea wall just along from the pier. Now it is back down to a more natural level.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Most of yesterdays photos were stills from a HD video cam

but here's 3 from my camera of the big tug

it proves to be 

the INDUS 

with 

FALMOUTH

on the side

they appeared to use hydraulic jib to keep the tow, when slack, free from the prop

attachicon.gif100_3990 detail 3 .JPG

attachicon.gif100_3990 detail 2 .JPG

attachicon.gif100_3990 (detail 1) .jpg

jib detail from HD still

attachicon.gif9-6-2014_026 jib.jpg

With a name like Indus has Falmouth been over run by Indian takeaways?

• RMweb Premium
Siberian Snooper, on 07 Sept 2014 - 11:41, said:Siberian Snooper, on 07 Sept 2014 - 11:41, said:

With a name like Indus has Falmouth been over run by Indian takeaways?

It used to be 'Findus' but the F fell off. :D

Some interesting stats on the MTS Indus-

http://www.mtsgroupltd.com/vessels/tugs-towage/mts-indus-specification

Edited by Gary H

Just after low tide today Sunday

attachicon.gif100_3994 detail.JPG

must have used divers to ensure legs did not come down on 

obstacles like groynes & the OLD sewer

I think this excellent picture confirms what I have suspected for some time, that the Network rail camera we can see on the web is not being updated some / most of the time - shame  :(

I think this excellent picture confirms what I have suspected for some time, that the Network rail camera we can see on the web is not being updated some / most of the time - shame   :(

I think you'l find that the searaiser 4 is just to the north of the warren end of the shipping containers

and thus out of shot of the NWR web cam

I don't know about the timing of the updates but

I have seen frames with different vehicles in all this last week

I think this excellent picture confirms what I have suspected for some time, that the Network rail camera we can see on the web is not being updated some / most of the time - shame  :(

Saw one picture saturday where the edge of the orange tug was just in view

I think you'l find that the searaiser 4 is just to the north of the warren end of the shipping containers

and thus out of shot of the NWR web cam

I don't know about the timing of the updates but

I have seen frames with different vehicles in all this last week

yes I think you are right, the angle of the camera is such that it cant see the work

I'm going to watch the camera more carefully to see how often it updates...