Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

One thing is for sure -  the K.O.C. at St. Agnes will be the first to know (but will they remember to tell anyone)?.

They've also got new binoculars, and the cheese sandwich is an incentive to remember to tell the rest of Swagonia...

and a case of Doombar.

They’ll definitely “forget” then....................and they are suspicious of the Cap’n’s Devonian motives viz Pasty suppliers.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When is work on raising the wall going to start?

There's further preparatory drilling into the low-level walkway going on, so in effect, the work of raising the walkway has now started. The first barge will be in position pretty soon, as well.

Don,

Really appreciate your photos sir.

Next time your down at Boat Cove can you see if some 'cops' by some intrepid spotter in the 70s/ early 80s are still there - I'm sure it used to say 46044 and 45xxx on the left hand side of the Kennaway tunnel portal, and last time I looked I think they were still there.

In about 1983 I repainted a mainline 00 peak and renumbered it as 46044 using A1 detailing parts (who remembers them), with sealed beam headlights on the strength of the 46044 number at the tunnel entrance.

If the number is still there god knows what was in the paint.......

My favourite lower quadrant home signal, ( with sighting board) used to show a train was imminent in my summer holidays at the Beach Hotel in the 70s. Love your photos of Dawlish Don - just wish there was more freight.

Matt Wood

Just to confirm BR(S) photo refs

took this photo this morning 

post-22449-0-51521100-1409348630_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Shifting sands

The small  breakwater  by the Old Lifeboat House

on 18 th Aug

post-22449-0-75724200-1409349343_thumb.jpg

and on 29th Aug

post-22449-0-73831300-1409349455_thumb.jpg

The sand/ shingle against the breakwater has dropped one to two courses of stone

and the concrete slip ways & bottom flat sill between them

is now uncovered for the first time that I have seen it this year

BRUNEL'S ATMOSPHERIC PIPE

Tues was in Newton Abbot getting the car MOT'd

so killed time with a visit to the GWR Museum near Devon Square (2a St. Paul's Road)

having seen a pic on their web site a few months ago

I was disappointed as it had been sent back to Swindon

however there was a 12 inch "Slice" of one mounted on the wall

post-22449-0-75202200-1409349962_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-92207200-1409350296_thumb.jpg

post-22449-0-30058500-1409350365_thumb.jpg

surface close up showing corrosion of approx  one & a half centuries

post-22449-0-92644500-1409350422_thumb.jpg

Dimensions

This example was 22.25 ins inside diameter

outside diam. 23.375 ins

slot was very corroded varying from  2.625 ins to 2.75 ins 

Top longitudinal flanges were  2.75 ins high

the flanges around the pipe were at bottom max of 9 inches deep

and about an inch thick ( forgot to actually measure them)

The curator told me that Brunel also used a 16 " version of the pipe

but as I was short on time did not get to see how he used two sizes on one railway

anyone know more on that??

Edited by Granitechops

Just to confirm BR(S) photo refs

took this photo this morning 

attachicon.gif100_3722 (Large).JPG

Thanks Don.

Oh the time I spent there listening to a muffled Sulzer/English electric throb /Maybach (and later valenta) scream and waited in eager anticipation of what was going to come out of Kennaway on the up line. You knew when it was the up milk cos the three axle wagons made such a distinctive staccato noise......happy days.

Matt Wood

• Like 1

Some  Ex Totnes Dairies? Some Hayle Dairy?  or were they on separate trains?

There used to be a whopper, early evening up from St Erth, combining with others at Lostwithiel.....often hauled by a 1000, and then post 76, by a 50 or 47. I don't remember whether that combined with traffic from Totnes or whether that was tripped to Riverside.

Matt wood

There used to be a whopper, early evening up from St Erth, combining with others at Lostwithiel.....often hauled by a 1000, and then post 76, by a 50 or 47. I don't remember whether that combined with traffic from Totnes or whether that was tripped to Riverside.

Matt wood

Yes of course St Erth, not Hayle, my dad worked in accounts there about '56 -'57

next door to Pickfords Removers depot.

and in the late '60s I was involved in demolition  at Totnes Dairies, right on the Station, cant remember, was it Dawes Creameries??

milk wagons were in a bay siding up towards the road overbridge

• RMweb Premium

I see that the containers are still there. When they are removed I assume that they will be cut up in situ. Would it be possible for some of the pieces to be auctioned off for charity? I am thinking of the more identifiable bits that have numbers or similar markings.

I see that the containers are still there. When they are removed I assume that they will be cut up in situ. Would it be possible for some of the pieces to be auctioned off for charity? I am thinking of the more identifiable bits that have numbers or similar markings.

I would have thought that for speed, the quickest way would be

to cut just the joining angle iron thats welded on holding them together, & lift them off loaded.

A  large road crane 'lashed' to the deck would do the trick,

lifting capacity depending on how close to the containers the barge can be located on the sea bed

and cut them up at a shore base

the crucial thing will be the limited amount of time working on the shore line available between neap tides

and the onset of winter storms & heavy swells

plus of course the high cost of such marine plant (jacking barges etc)

Possibly a six week window

And

and if the drilling the Cap'n refered to earlier on the seawall is 

prescision drilling to a template, and already completed

the precast concrete units will drop into place,

bolts down through and 

with a cross between lego & meccano

Voila, a structure

ready to be filled with reinforced concrete

( ignoring little details like shimming level,anchoring together etc., etc.)

Either Network Rail will dazzle with the speed of execution,

or

or it will be

plan "B"

Edited by Granitechops

• RMweb Premium

Do you really think those containers would stay in one piece if they were to be lifted full of all that rock?  I reckon most of them would quickly head for whatever banana shape their contents allowed as they buckled under the load!

They might be lifted using a spreader beam, possibly jack them up and put a raft underneath, not sure how viable it might be. A lot of mights but most of it depends on the structural integrity of the containers. The big plus is no contamination from the contents of the containers.

Do you really think those containers would stay in one piece if they were to be lifted full of all that rock?  I reckon most of them would quickly head for whatever banana shape their contents allowed as they buckled under the load!

It all depends on how you sling your hook

• Like 1