Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Fairly unusual to see British photos on there (join up and have a go - it’s a great site).

Usually they are kind of mind-twistingly beautiful like this one:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/491670

Like to work on that one, Cap’n? It may be a mountain of guano.......

Best, Pete.

I agree, the screening process on there is very tight!

I must have checked in there to look at new shots every day for the last 8 years! Its an excellent site indeed.

Unfortunately the Teignmouth to Smugglers path didn't reopen today, and has been put back by a week, due to damage to the works on the Sprey Point ramp by the High Seas on Sunday. Reopening is now scheduled for Tuesday 19th August.

Here are a few photos at the Dawlish end taken on a site inspection this afternoon:

attachicon.gifIMG_4091.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4095.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4096.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4104.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4105.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4109.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4115.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4117.JPG

attachicon.gif [url=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=456182]IMG_4135.JPG[/

Painted up in bright colours, a few hanging baskets and deck chairs placed on the beach.........yep! These would make a grand addition to Dawlish rent 'em out as beach huts to the grockles oops! Sorry....... tourists , next summer with complimentary orange jackets and hard hats.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fairly unusual to see British photos on there (join up and have a go - it’s a great site).

Best, Pete.

That's absolutely stunning Pete.

I wonder how often they get rock slides and derailments?

It looks a decidedly risky line to operate.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Best, Pete.

Incredible photo, thanks for the link. I'll stick to Dawlish, though, thanks!

• Like 1

Friday 15th August 2014

the contractors finally have appeared to have finished work on the stone breakwater by Kenaway  tunnel

early this morning their works compound on boat cove slip had finally been removed.

thought I had taken a photo today but not on my camera, sorry

but here is pic from wednesday, before everything is removed

post-22449-0-00476800-1408141092.jpg

• Like 1

Incredible photo, thanks for the link. I'll stick to Dawlish, though, thanks!

No sense.....of adventure, I've heard there's a barbecue at the end of the line with Texan sausages and they're a real treat ! :)

• Like 1

No sense.....of adventure, I've heard there's a barbecue at the end of the line with Texan sausages and they're a real treat ! :)

They don’t allow “Texan sausages” in Mordor................................................actually it’s in Chile...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Do the PW gang walk between stations each day?

If you mean track inspection / patrol it depends on the category of the line concerned which is influenced by line speed, track fastenings used and gross annual tonnage and also wether its CWR, jointed or switches and crossings, so there's a few variables!

Being as its not my patch, I'm not 100% sure but I think its a Cat 3 line (60 mph to 75 mph along the wall) CWR so once per 4 weeks.

Around the corner towards Powderham its over 90 mph so the frequency will increase to once per 2 weeks for CWR.

Don't forget though we also have the NMT go down and up over it all every 2 weeks aswell.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold

If you mean track inspection / patrol it depends on the category of the line concerned which is influenced by line speed, track fastenings used and gross annual tonnage and also wether its CWR, jointed or switches and crossings, so there's a few variables!

Being as its not my patch, I'm not 100% sure but I think its a Cat 3 line (60 mph to 75 mph along the wall) CWR so once per 4 weeks.

Around the corner towards Powderham its over 90 mph so the frequency will increase to once per 2 weeks for CWR.

Don't forget though we also have the NMT go down and up over it all every 2 weeks aswell.

Apart from the regular official patrols, as mentioned by Gary, we do tend to get the odd unofficial patrol report too.... ;)

Gary H,

I was replying to 3991 but didnt do the quoting bit.

Fascinating to read that. When I was down on Southern steels in the 80's the Brighton west coastway route was walked every day.

Cheers

LE

I know its a bit late for this but-

We had heavy rain in Teignmouth during the night but so far I have not been to the seafront. The winds at present time, 11.00, dont seem too strong here. I am only about 800m 700m from the beach.

Update at 12:00-

600m

etc etc.

I know its a bit late for this but-

Apologies for lack of updates. After wiping the sand out of my eyes I was busy removing roof tiles embedded in the lawn and attempting to placate neighbours who seemed to be sharing our trees.

We do, however, have a nice view of the sea now!

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 1

Update on yesterdays posting

re the breakwater at Boat Cove

photo today of site where the contractors had their compound,

their workboat left behind for further use

post-22449-0-53891600-1408211016_thumb.jpg

sea like a millpond this morning

post-22449-0-25155200-1408210992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 9

HEARSAY 

according to contractors operatives

permits/licences for work on raising the seawall walk way

is held up  due to paperwork available,

but authorising personages with signatures  are on holiday

One would hope that is not true?????

• RMweb Gold

HEARSAY 

Not sure about the 'being on holiday' bit....

Not sure about the 'being on holiday' bit....

They’ve gone on a “busman’s holiday” to that line up the mountain in Chile for some R&R...it only carries sulfuric acid down the hill instead of passengers.

In good humor, Pete.

HEARSAY 

So

more than likely work won't start

and/or the jacking barge wont be in place

until

after the Dawlish airshow on Saturday?????

• RMweb Gold

So

more than likely work won't start

and/or the jacking barge wont be in place

until

after the Dawlish airshow on Saturday?????

Preliminary work may start, but no, the barges are almost certainly not going to be in place before Saturday....

Preliminary work may start, but no, the barges are almost certainly not going to be in place before Saturday....

Yes , I met some orange clad lads carrying wire cable this lunch time,

& was told it was for the base wire for anchoring the work harnesses to

EDIT;-

I expect very low flying aircraft pilots would not welcome tall barge legs protruding up near their flight path!!

:nono:  :nono:  :pilot:  :scare:  :stop:

Edited by Granitechops

Yes , I met some orange clad lads carrying wire cable this lunch time,

& was told it was for the base wire for anchoring the work harnesses to

Did observe today that anchor eyes have been fixed along the top of the parapet

seaward side along the high walkway from the old lifeboat house along to the washout site,

& steel cables  have been threaded through for anchoring the workmen's safety harnesses

security guy said the same had been done all the way along from the other end

• RMweb Premium
Granitechops, on 21 Aug 2014 - 12:21, said:

Earlier this am saw Network Rail lorry come out from Dawlish station with odds & ends cleared from the (mini) compound there (I assume)

Hi Gary!!

Nice to see you again albeit very briefly Don! :bye:

That'll be the final visit from me for a while too.

• Like 1

Don,

Really appreciate your photos sir.

Next time your down at Boat Cove can you see if some 'cops' by some intrepid spotter in the 70s/ early 80s are still there - I'm sure it used to say 46044 and 45xxx on the left hand side of the Kennaway tunnel portal, and last time I looked I think they were still there.

In about 1983 I repainted a mainline 00 peak and renumbered it as 46044 using A1 detailing parts (who remembers them), with sealed beam headlights on the strength of the 46044 number at the tunnel entrance.

If the number is still there god knows what was in the paint.......

My favourite lower quadrant home signal, ( with sighting board) used to show a train was imminent in my summer holidays at the Beach Hotel in the 70s. Love your photos of Dawlish Don - just wish there was more freight.

Matt Wood