Washout at Dawlish

For anyone travelling towards Barnstaple I've just arrived home on the 11.27 service and all running ok. Nice to be home after a few days marooned ! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In Japan they built a new major two runway airport in the sea. I'm sure that an adequate sea wall can be built at Dawlish.

ecn15120509110010-m1.jpg

Brit15

That's Kansai International Airport outside (obviously!) Osaka.

It opened in 1994 and I used it for the first time in 97 (I think).

Kobe is also offshore and so is Hong Kong. There are quite a few advantages in building in the middle of nowhere.

I always thought, though, that they 'looked' insubstantial but the storms don't seem to bother them much - except crosswinds.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

That's Kansai International Airport outside (obviously!) Osaka.It opened in 1994 and I used it for the first time in 97 (I think).Kobe is also offshore and so is Hong Kong. There are quite a few advantages in building in the middle of nowhere.I always thought, though, that they 'looked' insubstantial but the storms don't seem to bother them much - except crosswinds.Kev.

Kansai is named after the region, rather than the nearest city, Japan does not go for the London Stansted, etc, nonsense.

• Like 2

Both were signalled for bi-directional working some years back to allow for just such an event as this while passing some traffic

Only the up line is bi-di.

Sounds like level 2 is in place.

• RMweb Premium

GWR are currently advising that delays to 15 minutes are expected between Exeter and Newton Abbot.  Assuming the Cross Country trains may have been removed to thin the service that's not too bad at all for a single main line.

• Like 1

GWR are currently advising that delays to 15 minutes are expected between Exeter and Newton Abbot.  Assuming the Cross Country trains may have been removed to thin the service that's not too bad at all for a single main line.

Cross country threw the towel in hours before the situation was known about, they certainly have a cant do attitude to running trains.

• RMweb Premium

With enough money almost anything is possible.

Looking at where this airport is, I suspect that it does not have to deal with waves of the size of power of those seen regularly at Dawlish, let alone the exceptional sized waves that are seen when trains are cancelled.

Osaka Bay sees some horrendous storms in the typhoon season. I saw far worse weather off Japan than I ever saw in the English Channel.

• RMweb Premium

TI always thought, though, that they 'looked' insubstantial but the storms don't seem to bother them much - except crosswinds.

Approaching on an ANA 767 with a forward facing camera on the front wheels, looking towards the terminal building until just before the rear wheels touch down, whereupon the white lines down the middle of the runway appear. Not for those scared of flying, because the angles they sometimes slip in at can seem quite severe.

Compensated for by the overland approach with the front wheel doors open, giving a view of the dormant volcanoes directly below.

Dave

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

With enough money almost anything is possible. 

Looking at where this airport is, I suspect that it does not have to deal with waves of the size of power of those seen regularly at Dawlish, let alone the exceptional sized waves that are seen when trains are cancelled. 

It was actually flooded I think in a recent typhoon.

According to the local BBC report this evening it's a collapsed culvert along the Teign Estuary near Bishopsteignton. The culvert runs underneath the main lines.

Edited by bgman

I wonder whether the same would have happened to Boris Island if that airport had ever been built.

Jamie

All available evidence suggests that the former mayor is apparently some sort of unsinkable, unflushable turd. Maybe the island/airport would have displayed similar properties?

• Like 3

According to the local BBC report this evening it's a collapsed culvert along the Teign Estuary near Bishopsteignton. The culvert runs underneath the main lines.

Indeed it is, so it is nowhere near Dawlish.

Indeed it is, so it is nowhere near Dawlish.

And nothing to do with the sea wall, of course, despite the press attaching the story to the sea wall collapse of a while ago.

Once again the press at its disingenuous best!

It was expected to settle, hence the design allows for the structures to be adjusted.

Jim

There is 'settling' and then there is 'sinking', the 2 are rather different and it has 'settled' a lot more than they thought it would and it continues to 'settle'.

• Like 2

I'm sure the first BBC report I heard said 'Tynemouth' ........... corrected to 'Teignmouth' later ................................................... whatever happened to their Pronunciation Unit ?

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure the first BBC report I heard said 'Tynemouth' ........... corrected to 'Teignmouth' later ................................................... whatever happened to their Pronunciation Unit ?

I'm sure that it could well be in the pronunciation. My step sister in law pronounces "stuff" as "Staff".

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That man-made island is sinking - it is costing billions to fix....

Best, Pete.

And it's in an earthquake zone, so one day the sea floor might drop a couple of metres after a 'quake.

Would then be ideal for Seaplanes! :jester:

Keith