Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Actually yesterday coming home I thought "it would be great if Rob had just done one of his excellent pictures of a Duchess" - and he had!

Thanks. It was a bit tentative and I really intended early crest no speedo,  here is another version...

post-7929-0-93280000-1544392169_thumb.jpg

In a moment of madness yesterday, just before I received a lovely 6241 LMS lined black Duchess, I bought a 2-10-4 Chesapeake and Ohio T1 class...with a plan of weathering it over Xmas....all before Maunsell madness (SR 851) takes over next week. Never a dull moment!  

cheers

• Like 3

Nice one, Rob. They are a very impressive loco.

I always liked Duchess of Montrose because of the Hornby Dublo 3 rail model. One of my friends had that one but I started with  the Flying Scotsman set so had Mallard. Which was the better Hornby Dublo model?  H'mm.

[Mallard was obviously faster ha ha  :jester: ]

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

Here is the aformentioned T1 class...  I used to own this one but sold it ove a year ago...  the one I bought yesterday was UKP115 with DCC and Quantum sound.

who would try to make money from models these days?

post-7929-0-80251200-1544392865_thumb.jpg

Hornby do an excellent Rivarossi C&O H8 2-6-6-6 which was used on similar work.. 14,000-ton coal trains, 1-in-100 grades. No wonder 'we' won the war!

post-7929-0-56211700-1544393048_thumb.jpg

The H8 achieved 7,450 drawbar hp in tests at 50mph...  wouldn't have had much trouble on Shap...

a 30-ton axle load on drivers might have had the civil engineers losing sleep though.

typos as ever....   British habit of mine.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Nice one, Rob. They are a very impressive loco.

I always liked Duchess of Montrose because of the Hornby Dublo 3 rail model. One of my friends had that one but I started with  the Flying Scotsman set so had Mallard. Which was the better Hornby Dublo model?  H'mm.

[Mallard was obviously faster ha ha  :jester: ]

Now there's a question, A4 or Duchess,  two examples of engineering art. I prefer one or t'other on alternate weeks. :)

post-7929-0-09955900-1544393597_thumb.jpg

This Hornby model is quite hard to find in BR super-detail... only in the trainset of 2005,  and the one in the pic was bought from Rails on its own, with slight damage, for UKP79 ...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Here is the aformentioned T1 class...  I used to own this one but sold it ove a year ago...  the one I bought yesterday was UKP115 with DCC and Quantum sound.

who would try to make money from models these days?

attachicon.gif3004_T1_portrait50_3a_r1200.jpg

Hornby do an excellent Rivarossi C&O H8 2-6-6-6 which was used on similar work.. 14,000-ton coal trains, 1-in-100 grades.

attachicon.gif1633_shed_2-6-6-6_H8_1abcdefg_r1200.jpg

The H8 acheived 7,450bhp in tests at 50mph...  wouldn't have had much trouble on Shap...

a 30-ton axle load on drivers might have had the civil engineers losing sleep though.

When I see that last photo, I'm reminded of a line of dialogue certain scene in Predator.. ' You're one ugly Mother. (insert expletive)'  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Hornby do an excellent Rivarossi C&O H8 2-6-6-6 which was used on similar work.. 14,000-ton coal trains, 1-in-100 grades. No wonder 'we' won the war!

attachicon.gif1633_shed_2-6-6-6_H8_1abcdefg_r1200.jpg

The H8 achieved 7,450 drawbar hp in tests at 50mph...  wouldn't have had much trouble on Shap...

typos as ever....   British habit of mine.

Shap wouldn't be a problem, I suppose, apart from getting stuck in bridge-holes and on station platforms...  :locomotive:

• Like 1

Not such a bad model really, given sympathetic photography with mild editing.

post-7929-0-93860300-1544562347_thumb.jpg

Wheel flanges reduced, front drivers have brakes, otherwise straight out of the box really.

cheers

here is the Duchess of Montrose we had in the 1950s early 60s 3-rail..  it was used mostly on front room floor layouts. I changed the drivers/chassis to a Triang? 2-rail B12 c1966 with Kitmaster valve gear but it has been restored as seen here..  :)

post-7929-0-78633000-1544563207_thumb.jpg

Hard to see any improvement really.

Unless you prefer blue...

post-7929-0-61831400-1544578232_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

The HD Duchess looks like a refugee from Barry Island......

What happened to the pony truck?  Mazak Rot got it?

(What would modern Hornby models look like in 60 years time given the same degree of use?)

The HD Duchess looks like a refugee from Barry Island......

What happened to the pony truck?  Mazak Rot got it?

(What would modern Hornby models look like in 60 years time given the same degree of use?)

We were aged between 5yrs and about 16 years when our DoM was in use, stored in cupboard loose with 3-rail track, carriages and wagons all loose, but 'carefully handled' at all times.  Sort of.  It always looked tidier than the photo, in my memory at least, and I have no idea what happened to the trailing truck, that may have been after I put a Triang B12 2-rail chassis in it... then it may have spent 20 years being shifted around without being used. 

It is a good question though, how will current models look in 60 years?

• Like 2

It is a good question though, how will current models look in 60 years?

A very good question indeed - if they are like modern cars they will simply electronically die.

I also have a mid 60's 2 rail Hornby "City of London" and she still runs very well indeed - though she's now a little tatty. I run her now & again. She will outlive me !!

Brit15

• Like 1

Well at least it looks better than the knock-off copy of the Lord Nelson the LMS commissioned after they found that a GWR Castle would knock spots off any of their express locos and that the GWR wouldn't lend them a set of Castle plans!

post-21933-0-92600300-1544859872_thumb.jpg

The slab-sided, parallel-boilered Royal Scot class, which brutalised its way up Shap until the LMS managed to get access to proper GWR technology by poaching Stanier....

I just had the thought that the reason the GWR wouldn't lend the LMS the plans was that they knew what would happen in the ham-fisted hands of Fowler and his chums!

post-21933-0-92600300-1544859872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3