Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

My father's 3-rail Bristol Castle never faltered! We would time it circulating on a floor-based layout to have it averaging 60mph.. but 71mph as per 'Cheltenham Flyer' was just looked too fast in 15" curves!

meanwhile...

attachicon.gif5068_Beverston_Castle_running well_7abcd_r1200ab.jpg

My Ludlow Castle is in very good shape for an oldie and has been in "revenue earning service" for almost twice as long as the prototype (I've had her from new).  However, being three rail, she doesn't get out as often as she used to do nowadays!

The Castle's have been multiplying ...

They're very clever locos.

Meanwhile back on the workbench a very familiar class and Best Ever stalwart, makes a surprise return in amongst the numerous Swindon classes, I'm currently trying to fight off..

..it can only be the King Arthur Class!! 

attachicon.gif771_lh.jpg

attachicon.gif771_rhfan.jpg

"Arfurs" are nice but different.   It must be due to that tender, almost as long as the locomotive itself!  I like to view them as the Camels* of the railways (One hump or two, sir?).  I've Sir Sagramore, and also the "Arthur That Dare Not Speak His Name", aka Sir Dinadan...

* Not to be confused with the GWR 3300 class, which were originally called the Camel class, but eventually metamorphosed into Bulldogs.  The further evolution into Birds is beyond this train of thought as is the curious crossbreeding that resulted in DukeDogs.....

• Like 1

New release by Hornby for April 2019.

Assembly to be done by contracted UK workers in China during Chinese New Year.  A new range aimed at the nostagia market is envisaged in the medium term, leveraging the brand name, going forward. 'Hornby's Wonderful Railway'

post-7929-0-52030300-1542227888_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

If it wasn't pointed out, you'd almost miss the running plate thing...

attachicon.gifImg_2376a_r1200.jpg

Modern digital photography can be cruel. Bring back the Box Brownie, that's what I say.

You probably wouldn't notice it at normal viewing distances, but that downturn behind the cylinder, the bow over the cylinder and the twerk up towards the buffers won't go away once pointed out!

Bristol Castle, otoh, has an eyewateringly straight running plate.

Its a pity about the diameter of the handrail......

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

I did promise a Castle (there'll be two more to come, though I have a lot of rolling stock and loco crew's to do first)

My client had done most of the hard work - all I did was add buffer beam numbers, shed code, touch up some of the paint, weather, add crew and coal. 

post-7000-0-06665200-1542478684_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-07745900-1542478709_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

That lower pic really captures the great beauty of the Castle, and shows how great a Hornby version can be..  

Is it to receive more weathering? The subtleties in the existing pic are sublime.

post-7929-0-81320800-1542480819_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That lower pic really captures the great beauty of the Castle.  

Is it to receive more weathering?

It has been, it's been cleaned for a Z48 special - though the shed apprentice needs a clip round the ear for not cleaning one side of the boiler properly!

It has been, it's been cleaned for a Z48 special - though the shed apprentice needs a clip round the ear for not cleaning one side of the boiler properly!

Still looks the cat's whiskers.

post-7929-0-93924900-1542497234_thumb.jpg

I have hoped neither nor your client you will mind.

I think the model above is a very fine example of enhanced RTR 00 modelling.   The pinnacle has been reached, there is no purpose in any further effort. :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Not a GWR fan as a rule, but the castle model is just breath taking. Makes me want one!

That'll be down mostly to Tobolygo's superb subtle weathering, in my humble opinion.  I've never been a great GWR fan either but sometime Swindonitis can strike the unwary!  

Cheers

Edit; as to buying a Castle, there are a few with assembly and detail issues, pays to be wary?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Still looks the cat's whiskers.

attachicon.gif4079_Castle_portrait2_1abcdefg_r1200.jpg

I have hoped neither nor your client you will mind.

I think the model above is a very fine example of enhanced RTR 00 modelling.   The pinnacle has been reached, there is no purpose in any further effort. :)

Considering the donor was the NRM Caerphilly Castle with a Churchward Tender - my client did a super job of updating her - I just gave her some tlc ;)

Worth noting, to those who are going to touch up paint on Hornby BR(WR) Green Loco's - don't use Railmatch post 56 Loco Green - use GWR post 1928 Green instead ;)

Edited by toboldlygo

As mentioned in the Duchess Princess Coronation thread I have bought a 46225 'Duchess of Gloucester' in BR blue,  but while waiting have done this shameless editing of Hornby's catalogue photo.

post-7929-0-90898700-1542516052_thumb.jpg

What more can you say? Except it would, no, will look good with blue box Porthole carriages, which Rails used to have on special.... and I bought eight  of them.

Lovely engine!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Here is 4079 again and the apprentice has given her another wipe of an oily rag...

post-7929-0-26589100-1542582676_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Rob you're going to hate me - as I have another 42xx in Toboldlygo's Railway Works  :jester:

Absolutely not, they are the world's finest ever steam locomotives.

Smooth riding, easy to fire, comfortable cabs....

Nurse!   where are my pills?  

toboldlygo, on 19 Nov 2018 - 14:21, said:snapback.png

Rob you're going to hate me - as I have another 42xx in Toboldlygo's Railway Works 

Absolutely not, they are the world's finest ever steam locomotives.

Smooth riding, easy to fire, comfortable cabs....

Nurse!   where are my pills?  

The Doctor prescribes more 42/52s, with a double dose of 72xx’s

Regards,

• Like 1

...I think the model above is a very fine example of enhanced RTR 00 modelling.   The pinnacle has been reached, there is no purpose in any further effort.

I beg to differ in one respect: the tender is very obviously too far adrift from the cab. An easy gauge, look at a side elevation photograph and the gap between the loco and tender steps is about a quarter the width of the step backplate at its narrowest.

This wouldn't matter if it was a crude old model; but when the rest is so fine, I feel it is a detail worth attending to. Easy enough on this model, a replacement drawbar does the job (make it a two holer if layout operation requires a longer setting than 'correct spacing' display posing).

• RMweb Premium

I beg to differ in one respect: the tender is very obviously too far adrift from the cab. An easy gauge, look at a side elevation photograph and the gap between the loco and tender steps is about a quarter the width of the step backplate at its narrowest.

This wouldn't matter if it was a crude old model; but when the rest is so fine, I feel it is a detail worth attending to. Easy enough on this model, a replacement drawbar does the job (make it a two holer if layout operation requires a longer setting than 'correct spacing' display posing).

The Castles do have a 2 hole drawbar don’t they? My 3 did.

The Castles do have a 2 hole drawbar don’t they? My 3 did.

Yes, but neither gave the scale spacing as I recollect. I thought this odd as the box sleeve illustration showed loco and tender correctly positioned in relation to each other, with the rear of the fall plate positioned over the tender step. The model couldn't be assembled like that as supplied.

• RMweb Gold

I did promise another 42xx didn't I?

One of the much maligned first batch - this one had a straight running plate and run's as well as those with bearings, wonky running plates and separately fitted smoke-box darts!

I've made a few tweaks to this one for my client (smoke-box dart, Romford couplings, bunker doors, crew and Brassmaster's brake rigging courtesy of another ANTB member).

post-7000-0-17418100-1542838346_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-28257900-1542838374_thumb.jpg

The same client asked me to add detailing and etched plates to this 'Custom Weathered' and very expensive Grange from a very well known source..

I've ended up reworking and re-weathering it (couldn't do anything about the slightly wonky running plate however) - I also had to add a proper screw-link coupling to the front (they'd used the Hornby dummy coupling at the front and Smiths Screw-link at the back).

post-7000-0-54075200-1542839694_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-55040500-1542839723_thumb.jpg

• Like 6