Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

My theory about the poor steaming of the early Lord Nelsons is that it took a lot of experimentation and skill on the part of enginemen to wrk out how best to feed the 10-ft long grate.

Early test runs in 1926 ? with 850 bear this out, it lost time at first when returning from Salisbury with the up ACE, at first, but got into its stride and averaged about 70mph for long distances through Fleet.  In theory with the division of cylinder exhaust arrangements it should have breathed well..

http://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/lord_nelson.html

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

I have succumbed and pre-ordered E851 from Rails - as a reward for all my hard GWR work this year ;)

Will order the plates from Fox shortly ;)

Wonders what E851 is. It appears to fall between antibiotics and glazing agents, gases and sweeteners.....  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Wonders what E851 is. It appears to fall between antibiotics and glazing agents, gases and sweeteners.....  :scratchhead:

One wonders, do you really want to spend Christmas in the gloved hands of the MiM, Hroth or would you like to duck that?

E851 Sir Francis Drake to be precise

• RMweb Gold

I have succumbed and pre-ordered E851 from Rails - as a reward for all my hard GWR work this year ;)

Will order the plates from Fox shortly ;)

You've never been busier, roll on 2019.

One wonders, do you really want to spend Christmas in the gloved hands of the MiM, Hroth or would you like to duck that?

E851 Sir Francis Drake to be precise

Quackers, thats what I say!

I must admit I put in for 30850 when they were first announced as most of my Southern stuff is "Late Crest".  That it chuffs is neither here nor there.

Whatever happened to instant gratification?

I too have an e851 on order, and I observe, without any sense of confidence, that these models will be with retailers by the end of the second week in December (according to Rails. Another retailer just said 'good luck'.)

so as an antidote I bought an NRM weathered C1 Atlantic  

post-7929-0-02247600-1543958985_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

So that's 4 colletts and 2 stars and I still haven't fallen asleep yet...   :-)

Actually the button logo doesn't look bad on the small tender

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

antidote....

post-7929-0-33757500-1544146787_thumb.jpg

or if you prefer 

post-7929-0-08139900-1544146927_thumb.jpg

or even this...

post-7929-0-23683900-1544146982_thumb.jpg

It keeps the influence of Isambard Kingdom Brunel at bay   :)

p.s. toboldlygo  re the star  a couple of posts ago, did Hornby put 10-spoke front bogie wheels on 4018 or did you have to supply them?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

antidote....

attachicon.gif11_30843_S15_side_11abcd_r1200.jpg

or if you prefer 

attachicon.gif60128_haymarket_A1_portrait1_5abcdef_r1200.jpg

or even this...

attachicon.gif4901_A4_wartime_7abc_r1200.jpg

It keeps the influence of Isambard Kingdom Brunel at bay   :)

p.s. toboldlygo  re the star  a couple of posts ago, did Hornby put 10-spoke front bogie wheels on 4018 or did you have to supply them?

I fitted them - well I replaced the bogie, as one of the guard irons had snapped off.

• Like 2

I fitted them - well I replaced the bogie, as one of the guard irons had snapped off.

Thanks. 

I like the Star but I'm not sure which if any come with correct 10-spoke front bogie wheels.

Moving away from the corrosive effects of Swindon for a moment, I am told by a retailer that the 851 Sir Francis is expected later this week, with various forms of superstition being enabled as I write...

so here here for your edification and pleasure is my edited version of the Bachmann Lord Nelson...

post-7929-0-39833500-1544306406_thumb.jpg

but in the meantime, like a kid at Christmas I wait for Hornby.

I will create a 46232 'Duchess of Montrose' and 70045 'Anzac' in preparation for Xmas 2019.  :)

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Old X04 powered Jinty. Solid, reliable, durable. Accurate enough to be unmistakably what they were supposed to be even if not dimensionally spot on. My old one's still run well today.

• Like 4

The second batch aka British Monarch, not unusually it reverted back to the 12 Spoke variety for Knight of the Grand Cross..  :banghead:  :banghead:

Ah well, they could sell truckloads of these...

post-7929-0-83885100-1544322113_thumb.jpg

I left the injector pipes in bright copper as is Hornby's habit. :) I used a pic of 46235 for much of this.

Late crest, the possible 2019 version might be early crest.

typos, errors as ever 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

You're right about the figures, it's also the absence of plastic squares to make the figures stand up that is the real give-away.   :sungum:  

Mind you. photoshop can be used indoors, rather than having to stand on a freezing cold platform.  

The only tips I need at my age are PG ones... :jester: :jester:

Duchess of Sutherland has a tractive effort of 40000lb I've just looked up, high for an express steam loco.  The class 91 to the right will pull 43000lb. but can still develop nearly that at 100 mph with a continuous rating of 6090 hp, so just a bit better, not surprisingly. :sungum:

• Like 1