Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Well at least it looks better than the knock-off copy of the Lord Nelson the LMS commissioned after they found that a GWR Castle would knock spots off any of their express locos and that the GWR wouldn't lend them a set of Castle plans!

attachicon.gifLMS Royal Scot 6137 Vesta.jpg

The slab-sided, parallel-boilered Royal Scot class, which brutalised its way up Shap until the LMS managed to get access to proper GWR technology by poaching Stanier....

I just had the thought that the reason the GWR wouldn't lend the LMS the plans was that they knew what would happen in the ham-fisted hands of Fowler and his chums!

Wouldnt it be nice if Hornby tooled this body, onto its current Royal Scot/Patriot chassis ?

Their fowler tender would need a bit of work though.

Edited by adb968008

I took the current Duchess or Princess Coronation wheels and coloured them for this of R3623 6221... the body is from the Hornby Magazine pics.

post-7929-0-94108500-1545000214_thumb.jpg

This is rather how I hope my model will look when I receive it, change the front wheels and possibly re-do some paintwork. The wheels themselves are not photo-shopped, the front brakes are, though.

post-7929-0-94108500-1545000214_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

post-4032-0-25785800-1545004461_thumb.jpg

We've had some Hornby Dublo 3 rail locos recently, here's one I think was about the best they did (although the rebuilt WC/BB might have had the edge).  This one's got the original smaller motor, which didn't stick out the back of the cab like the ringfield ones did. Bought it in a local toy shop for a bargain price, 2 rail had come out by then. Must be at least 55 years ago...

• Like 2

Maybe this will be Hornby's 7 Jan surprise...

attachicon.gif6106_LMS_Royal_Scot_Portrait30_3abcdef_crop1a_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif6148_Royal_Scot_bridge_frosty_morning_3ab_r1200.jpg

I am doing a pic of 6221 on Shap so I have to get in the mood.. :)

Hands up who wants to see Hornby's take on these models including pre-rebuild versions of No. 6100 Royal Scot (or, at least, No. 6152 The King's Dragoon Guardsman) and No. 6115 Scots Guardsman as either a seperate model or part of a special train pack?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hands up who wants to see Hornby's take on these models including pre-rebuild versions of No. 6100 Royal Scot (or, at least, No. 6152 The King's Dragoon Guardsman) and No. 6115 Scots Guardsman as either a seperate model or part of a special train pack?

And 6399 ?

• RMweb Gold

With my 100th commission for the year safely back home with her very happy owner.

The Growler (Shackleton AEW) is finally back on the workbench, when I put her away the main structure was complete - what was left to do was a myriad of small parts to paint and an awful lot of transfers (including those Xtra Decal one's specific to Zebedee)

post-7000-0-57783900-1545067435_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And 6399 ?

6170.? As rebuilt by Stanier.The “worth an extra coach “ Scot. In theory Hornby should have the tooling for this one as they also do the rebuilt Patriot.

Now that Bachmann have dropped the Fowler Scot from development,no reason for Hornby not to take it on too.

attachicon.gifP1090099.JPG

We've had some Hornby Dublo 3 rail locos recently, here's one I think was about the best they did (although the rebuilt WC/BB might have had the edge).  This one's got the original smaller motor, which didn't stick out the back of the cab like the ringfield ones did. Bought it in a local toy shop for a bargain price, 2 rail had come out by then. Must be at least 55 years ago...

The first loco I ever had. A shared Christmas present with my brother, along with some wagons, track and a baseboard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe this will be Hornby's 7 Jan surprise...

attachicon.gif6106_LMS_Royal_Scot_Portrait30_3abcdef_crop1a_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif6148_Royal_Scot_bridge_frosty_morning_3ab_r1200.jpg

I am doing a pic of 6221 on Shap so I have to get in the mood.. :)

46148 The Manchester Regiment,Last parallel boiler Scot I saw...Colwyn Bay August 1952...but in green with Stanier tender.

Can’t make my mind up about 6221. Is there really enough “tweak” to justify the not inconsiderable outlay ? I suppose the only way to know is to pay a visit to a retail establishment with an older version,put the two together and judge for myself.Intriguing.If the difference is as marked as with the current crop of Duchesses...46256 etc.....then maybe.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well at least it looks better than the knock-off copy of the Lord Nelson the LMS commissioned after they found that a GWR Castle would knock spots off any of their express locos and that the GWR wouldn't lend them a set of Castle plans!

attachicon.gifLMS Royal Scot 6137 Vesta.jpg

The slab-sided, parallel-boilered Royal Scot class, which brutalised its way up Shap until the LMS managed to get access to proper GWR technology by poaching Stanier....

I just had the thought that the reason the GWR wouldn't lend the LMS the plans was that they knew what would happen in the ham-fisted hands of Fowler and his chums!

By coincidence you have chosen to post an image of the last Scot to remain in parallel boiler form.46137 The Prince Of Wales Volunteers,.South Lancashire Regt.

46148 The Manchester Regiment,Last parallel boiler Scot I saw...Colwyn Bay August 1952...but in green with Stanier tender.

Can’t make my mind up about 6221. Is there really enough “tweak” to justify the not inconsiderable outlay ? I suppose the only way to know is to pay a visit to a retail establishment with an older version,put the two together and judge for myself.Intriguing.If the difference is as marked as with the current crop of Duchesses...46256 etc.....then maybe.

The current ad pictures for the Princess Coronation in blue look awful with white trim around wheel hubs, even though '6220' may have had this when in crimson   together with the small front bogie wheels.

I have bought one regardless, knowing I can change the front wheels and paint out any white excesses, if they are on production models.  My model was despatched from Kernows this morning...   before Xmas would be a miracle, but we all live in hope. :)  Main issue for we in the summer-antipodes is usual occasional manufacturing defects or transit damage,  neither happen all that often.

this from the Princess Coronation/Duchess thread...  derived from Hornby Magazine/Mike Wild's photos... with acknowledgements to them.

post-7929-0-35659900-1545077408_thumb.jpg

edit I could be in for MiM re-education using my lovely Hornby carriages...   !

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

The current ad pictures for the Princess Coronation in blue look awful with white trim around wheel hubs, even though '6220' may have had this when in crimson   together with the small front bogie wheels.

I have bought one regardless, knowing I can change the front wheels and paint out any white excesses, if they are on production models.  My model was despatched from Kernows this morning...   before Xmas would be a miracle, but we all live in hope. :)  Main issue for we in the summer-antipodes is usual occasional manufacturing defects or transit damage,  neither happen all that often.

this from the Princess Coronation/Duchess thread...  derived from Hornby Magazine/Mike Wild's photos... with acknowledgements to them.

attachicon.gif6221_coronation_duchess_shap_5a_r1200.jpg

edit I could be in for MiM re-education using my lovely Hornby carriages...   !

Really looks like it's hammering up Shap, or at least out in  stone wall country moorland. Good one, Rob.

attachicon.gifP1090099.JPG

I too recall those days with great affection.  Didn't Hornby do some great publicity stunt with a Ringfield motor in a Castle running it for 7 days, or something?

We forgave them for the motors sticking out in the cab because they ran so well!

• Like 1

I too recall those days with great affection.  Didn't Hornby do some great publicity stunt with a Ringfield motor in a Castle running it for 7 days, or something?

We forgave them for the motors sticking out in the cab because they ran so well!

Looked it up in an old H-D 3 rail leaflet and it says

"A standard locomotive fitted with this amazing unit hauling 6 coaches travelled non-stop for 153 miles, more than the distance from London to Cardiff in 4 days and 4 nights. 11600 scale miles were covered."

What schoolboy wouldn't want an hd loco with a ringfield motor, eh?

• Like 2