• Administrators

Do the extra tweaks work in the android version?

Yes - anyone downloading the Digital Version (iPad, Android, Kindle, PC and Mac) can view all video, picture galleries, interactive captions etc. www.pocketmags.com/BRM

I do get rather tired of reading peoples problems with the digital version of magazines (Not just BRM) rather than reading comments about the content of a particular months issue, which would be more useful to get me to buy that issue.

• RMweb Premium

Just got to read mine - the Cap'n is a fine modeller for sure, and Andy's photos really are the business.  I'm not a fan of the smoke etc as a rule but it didn't bother me on these, I was so captivated with the railway in the countryside as a whole.  Hats off to you both, gentlemen, stunning.

I'm off to run coarse scale live steam now - nothing if not varied in my tastes!

Something I think which is worth commenting on is the image used for this month's cover.

Feature7s.jpg

I can think of only a few layouts where such a shot could be taken and the greenery look as good as it does. The tree greenery which really makes it for me is courtesy of John (Re6/6), he really does capture what a tree looks like from beneath!

Not wishing to entirely steal Tim's limelight for what is an overall excellent model I'll stop eulogising about John's magnificent trees and complement Tim on the fact that not a thing was out of place on the model; it really is immaculate with beautiful tones throughout.

Feature6s.jpg

A real pleasure to be able to photograph it for the article.

• RMweb Gold

A real pleasure to be able to photograph it for the article.

And it was a real pleasure to have you visit again, and make a brilliant day of it, together with friends John and Richard. The grub and beer at the DRAG 'do' that night weren't bad either! ;)

A propos of nothing in particular, I've realised that rather more than half of the views are from what is normally the 'non-viewing' side...

I got hold of a copy at WH Smith in Bristol TM today, and all in all, it is another great issue, looking forward to reading the other two layout articles, particularly in view of the fact that we are lucky enough to have 'Juniper Hill' coming to the Taunton Members Day on 27th April.

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a copy on the strength of those Engine Wood photos and I am bowled over by the rest of the images in the article - fantastic work Tim & Andy! Minor gripes with the article - the colour coding on the location map is reversed (unless the GWR ran to Evercreech!); the small image of the goods shed on p17 has cropped off the pannier tank which is mentioned in the caption; and the scale of the track plan is off as it suggests the layout is 13 feet long (should be 11ft according to the text?).

I must say though,  this doesn't detract from the overall quality of the article which I've been staring at in admiration most of this evening.  :imsohappy: Might read the rest later...!

EDIT - have to mention that the issue of cropping details out of photos which are still mentioned on captions affected the Alderford article in RM as well... !

I loved the pictures of Engine Wood Andy, track side is where we need to be. Any chance of doing a thread on how you achieve such fine shots, e.g camera setup, focus stacking? and Photoshop manipulation.

It would be good for an article/s in BRM but on here first will be a treat. Are you still using the Canon?

Edit: Found the thread, he says rather shamefully.

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a copy on the strength of those Engine Wood photos and I am bowled over by the rest of the images in the article - fantastic work Tim & Andy! Minor gripes with the article - the colour coding on the location map is reversed (unless the GWR ran to Evercreech!); the small image of the goods shed on p17 has cropped off the pannier tank which is mentioned in the caption; and the scale of the track plan is off as it suggests the layout is 13 feet long (should be 11ft according to the text?).

I must say though,  this doesn't detract from the overall quality of the article which I've been staring at in admiration most of this evening.  :imsohappy: Might read the rest later...!

OK, just a couple of points to explain here - the map is indeed incorrect, but I think something may have got lost in the printing process, as I did send a correction through from the first draft.

The scenic section of the layout is actually 14' in length, fiddle yards on top of that add to the floor space for exhibition managers!

As regards that pannier, here's one of mine taken on the same day that Andy was here:

post-57-0-26878000-1397381568.jpg

The Barclay featured coming at the photographer out of the tunnel (parked behind the pannier in the above shot), is actually a Mercian kit, rather than the DJH one (as stated in the caption). So far no one has yet commented on the 'impossible' signalling situation inadvertantly featured in that photo. The S&T gang had disconnected the rodding that day, and a PW bloke was just out of shot, having manually barred those points over and fitted a tiny (?Exactoscale?  ;)  :P) point clip. The signalman should not then have cleared the signal for the 'wrong direction' move into the loop, but should have authorised the handsignalman to give the driver permission...

Thoroughly enjoyed Engine Wood, it's been a favourite since it appeared some years ago in RM (I believe). Just a shame the pix in the mag are not quite as light as the ones Andy posted above. It's not the first time this has jhappened to the Capt.'s layouts as something similar happened with Bleakhouse Road. Andy I assume it's something to do with the printing process?

• RMweb Gold

Based on the photos and comments on this thread I invested £3.75 and it was money well spent. Super modelling from all 3 layouts and I have to agree about the quality of Andys pics. Superb. Highlight for me is the track on engine wood, even better work than at Dawlish Captain!

• RMweb Premium

I would like to see May issue, I took out subscription, received April. still have not received May despite it being all over the shops. E mailed subscriptions...no reply...poor service.

I would like to see May issue, I took out subscription, received April. still have not received May despite it being all over the shops. E mailed subscriptions...no reply...poor service.

Hi Andrew, can you PM me with your address and phone number (and subs account number if known) and I'll get onto that for you.

Archived