High Level Kits

High Level Kits

Having built several crank driven locos, this is less about the quartering, but rather about the crank throw. With wheels and drive-crank being produced by different manufacturers, there will be a slight difference in radius. Bad running is the result.

On the other side, if you drill the crank pin holes all in the same jig for wheels and Jack shaft, you can drive from the Jack shaft, like the real thing.

Yes, looking truly forward to this one.

C,-w

Edited by 4003

Having built several crank driven locos, this is less about the quartering, but rather about the crank throw. With wheels and drive-crank being produced by different manufacturers, there will be a slight difference in radius. Bad running is the result.

On the other side, if you drill the crank pin holes all in the same jig for wheels and Jack shaft, you can drive from the Jack shaft, like the real thing.

Yes, looking truly forward to this one.

C,-w

The wheels come with the crankpin holes already opened, so jig-drilling is not an option, nor is using the wheels as a jig, as the material is so much softer than the brass cranks. Particular attention has been paid to the crank throw of the flycranks and this is constantly coming out within acceptable tolerances in relation to wheel dimensions.

An alternative wheel can be used from the Gibson range, which can be matched to one of their nylon flycranks, although this doesn’t look as good.

I've got two at home waiting in the hope you will do a chassis kit for them... Haha.

I wonder if there is much difference in the bodywork between a 45xx and a 44xx, maybe you could do a conversion kit at the same time. I don't know that much about the 44xx's, only that I fancy one.

• RMweb Gold

I've got two at home waiting in the hope you will do a chassis kit for them... Haha.

I wonder if there is much difference in the bodywork between a 45xx and a 44xx, maybe you could do a conversion kit at the same time. I don't know that much about the 44xx's, only that I fancy one.

As I understand it,, and may the experts correct me if I'm wrong, but in 'generic body' terms, I don't think there's that much difference between the body of a 44XX and that of a 45XX with the straight tanks.

I do recall, though, that years ago I found myself buying a K's 44Xx kit, because either the local model shop didn't have a 45XX kit in stock, or the latter was perhaps 50p more expensive, and I couldn't afford it!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it,, and may the experts correct me if I'm wrong, but in 'generic body' terms, I don't think there's that much difference between the body of a 44XX and that of a 45XX with the straight tanks.

I do recall, though, that years ago I found myself buying a K's 44Xx kit, because either the local model shop didn't have a 45XX kit in stock, or the latter was perhaps 50p more expensive, and I couldn't afford it!

The wheelbase on the chassis is different which is why Geoff at Comet never did the 44xx chassis. I have the K's model you mention CK.

• RMweb Gold

There's not alot of difference with the Kays kits apart from the smaller wheels an buffer beams, the plate frame go in the opposite way round so the conrod knuckle is in front of the centre driver for the 44xx if my memory serves me correct.

Do get a period photo as the steam pipes vary some have them some don't.

Edited by 81C

Chris - the Fowler looks exquisite. There must have been a few in industrial use as well, of course?

Oh, lots - see the thread on the Ixion 7mm model, for some examples: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78328-ixion-0-gauge-fowler-diesel-loco/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51368278@N08/15985565105/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-evanses/7392331078/

For example - the North Devon Clay Company had one at Peters Marland (now at Bodmin) and all the other preserved examples of this design are industrial machines.

Adam

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/9186869364/

Is that because the wheel diameter is smaller?

Partly. The 44 was a good hill climber, but more acceleration, and hence larger wheels, was felt desirable for the 45. Both classes have the standard 2.5" vertical offset from cylinder to wheel centre, so maybe there was a desire to use the same cylinder castings, hence the 45's running plate height was a bit higher (3" ??) compared to the 44. I think there was also a good reason for reversing the wheelbase, and the other longitudinal differences, but I can't remember now. No doubt Messrs Churchward and Holcroft reached an amicable consensus.

To a lot of people, the 44 and the 45 look the same, but I think they have a different posture.

K's never produced the straight tank 45XX. K's in their Banburydays,  were happy to supply a 44XX kit with an extra set of 4575 sides so you could replace the smaller 44XX bunker with the larger 45XX bunker to produce a reasonable 45XX tank. I have one at home somewhere, an abandoned project when the Churchward Models kit came out.

Mike Wiltshire

The front wheel crankpin sits right behind the conn rod, so the crankpin nut would have to be paper thin. On the model, the Jackshaft is gear-driven, and this drives the rear wheels; the front wheels are also driven by gears, with no crankpin, so they aren't connected to the rods at all... that's the illusion bit! 

Very clever Chris, I was wondering about this.  I hope you will have plenty on offer at S4UM.  I might have to add one to the stock pile - which I have manfully been trying to reduce of late without success.

I used a version of 'Illusodrive' on my Impetus Fowler build.  Works great.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The wheelbase on the chassis is different which is why Geoff at Comet never did the 44xx chassis. I have the K's model you mention CK.

The coupled wheelbase is actually the same but the other way round, years ago I converted some Korean brass 45xx to 44xx by turning the frames round.

• Like 2

That's fair enough, like island I didn't know what the differences where but it all makes sense. Thanks for the info.

David shackleton

Found the half finished project. This is the K's 44XX with a 4575 bunker. The original 44XX is included for comparison. I can only produce a first batch 45XX as the later ones had curved front ends and that would need the 4575 running plate.

post-9992-0-55879900-1502539132_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-97755600-1502539142_thumb.jpg

My 14 year old wants to finish it off.....I have created a monster!!!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1