Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Hexham photo’s from 2012 and January, 2013. All are of interest and the first photo’ of 142026, on an eastbound service, on the 1st November, 2012, is a delightful three quarters portrait view. Without looking, I cannot recall if this unit has been preserved.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2021 at 18:46, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from around Cramlington. All are of interest and in J11731, with an unidentified class 47 on a Edinburgh to Poole express, The Dorset Scot, in January, 1991, the second Mkll looks as if it may be a conversion of some kind. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Looks like an RFB - Mk2D FO converted to incorporate a buffet counter / hatch. InterCity Cross Country's solution to getting rid of Mk1 catering vehicles from their fleet.

Unfortunately, later on, TOC's used the same sort of approach to spoil their HST sets :(

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. I like the Hexham photo’s from 2012 and January, 2013. All are of interest and the first photo’ of 142026, on an eastbound service, on the 1st November, 2012, is a delightful three quarters portrait view. Without looking, I cannot recall if this unit has been preserved.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

142026 was scrapped at Newport on 14/01/20 according to the information I could find.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely pics Dave but a wee correction for C12025 - it's a class 506 unit (1500V dc overhead)

The cl.504 looked like cl.304 etc units with the 'standard' Derby cabs and were 2-car (1200V dc side-contact third rail)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, keefer said:

Lovely pics Dave but a wee correction for C12025 - it's a class 506 unit (1500V dc overhead)

The cl.504 looked like cl.304 etc units with the 'standard' Derby cabs and were 2-car (1200V dc side-contact third rail)

Thanks very much for the information.

I should have known that as I rode on them quite often when I was living in Manchester as a student around fifty years ago.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

DSC_9765 - Plenty of route choices with that signal!

Left to right the feathers are for 1.down loop, 2.up main (reversible signalling on the ECML here), 3. yard and Blyth and Tyne line to Bedlington etc.

David

David

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Midland Railway trust at Butterley photo’s which are delightful. In C4938, at Butterley, the 4F, 44027, running light engine on the 1st January, 1980, makes quite a spectacle in the very cold conditions.

The Morpeth photo’s from the 5th March, 2013 are full of interest, and in the first photo’ with a down East Coast express with 91104 leading, the 91 has been expertly captured by the camera and looks good in the East Coast livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the photo’s from around Cramlington. All are of interest, and in J11732, the class 142 ‘Skipper’, on a Morpeth to Newcastle service, in January, 1991, has quite a bit of brake dust on it’s lower panels making it look quite grimy.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

J11927 - what's the first coach with the single big window and roller shutters?

It's a Mk1 courier coach.

They were converted from BSKs (Brake second corridors) retaining the toilet and one compartment for the courier.

The windows of the second compartment were plated over and the third compartment was removed and a roller shutter door fitted.

Links to photos etc:

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/80221.htm

from SRPS website, creative commons licence. Photo credited to SRPS.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mk1_Courier_Coach_977905.jpg

Neith-Nabu, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

They came about to cater for the possible market in higher value/security items and loads, being more secure than in an ordinary brake coach luggage van and having a member of staff traveling with.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Newcastle photo’s all of which are of interest. The first photo’ of Neville Street statue of George Stephenson, in June, 1988, is excellent, and also, on the building behind the statue, on the left hand side, on top of that window, there appears to be a small bush of some kind there. It’s something that is not often to be seen. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s in North Tyneside. They are of interest, and the first photo’ at Shiremoor, with Metro 4026 on a Pelaw to St James service on the 16th August, 1995, shows a cluttered scene which would make a great model - especially the backs of those terraced houses.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1