Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I was at Tenterden last year and looking at the photos it has changed greatly with houses alongside the line as it leaves the station and of course the shed opposite the platform.An interesting line to ride on and brilliant countryside with interesting trains must be a good line to work on .

J6638 shows a snapshot of this spot which the same shot in 2016 would reveal only a few changes to the transport, very little change to the location itself. As well as the tramway cars, which have been a constant through the ages, the car looks like a Fiat 124, a real Italian job before production moved to Russia and Poland with Lada and Polski Fiat. The open topper looks like one of the later PD2s delivered to Brighton and Hove with front entrance Weymann Orion bodies, converted to open top in about 1975. The two coaches are a Ford R1114 Plaxton Supreme 111 belonging to Shearings, although you're just as likely to find a Shearlings coach parked in the same spot today, it'll be a very different machine to this. The other coach is a Bedford YRQ Plaxton Elite 11, the colours look familiar but I cant place the owner.

Edited by RANGERS

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of photo's of the lovely Kent and East Sussex Railway, and such a wide variety of motive power to be seen. The second set of photo's are fascinating. It is great to see the very first colour photo' that your Dad took at Lewes.  And the photo's of the Volks Electric Railway bring back happy holiday memories. I hope that you might some more of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of photo's of the lovely Kent and East Sussex Railway, and such a wide variety of motive power to be seen. The second set of photo's are fascinating. It is great to see the very first colour photo' that your Dad took at Lewes.  And the photo's of the Volks Electric Railway bring back happy holiday memories. I hope that you might some more of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think there are some more of the Volks Electric Railway when I get to them.

David

I don't know what they were for,but they were there in 1960...

attachicon.gifTenterden 1960.jpg

Something to do with market garden perhaps?

I was wondering if they'd been part of the network of decoy installations that had been established around Kent prior to the Normandy Landings, to convince the Germans that the invasion was going to be launched from there. There were similar huts, laid out as a rail-served supply depot, somewhere around Marden or Staplehurst- at that site, there were even timetabled daily freights, picking up and setting down empty wagons.

How nice to see a photo of the Wisbech and Upwell tramway, even if it is only the trackbed!  I only once saw a train on the branch and that was in the early '60s.  Every year we would go the see my paternal grandmother in Middlesbrough and sometimes my father would go via Wisbech and the A1101.  I was always fascinated by this railway track that we kept crossing and then one year we struck gold!  You can still see evidence of the trackbed today if you know where to look.

Chris Turnbull 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A lovely selection of photo's from the East of England. The Wisbech and Upwell tramway photo' is remarkable in that the trackbed was there for so long. And it is always good to see photo's of Skillington Junction.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C2385- does anyone know what those 'Nissen' huts were originally used for?

They were built during WW2 by the Ministry of Supply - not sure what exactly for though.

Always love this thread, awesome pictures Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Agree about the photos hows your mum coming along well I hope.

Thanks for asking

She's back in her flat recovering, she has just cut her carers visits from four times a day to twice a day.  She now uses a small trolley rather than the Zimmer for walking around.

David

• Like 2

Good news, David. Luckily I was able to live-in for my mother for a short while, which meant that she only needed Hospitals At Home help to wash & dress in the morning and the reverse in the evening, until she was able to get herself into bed after a few weeks, when we cut the evening visit out.

Moving on from the frame is the slowest progression. She'll probably be very quickly on to two crutches, then one, then to a stick (getting rid of that tends to take rather longer - I think that it's a confidence thing more than anything). My mother's neighbour is currently badgering her every couple of days to go out for a short walk with her, so things begin to return to normal as the confidence returns.

Best wishes to your mother for continued improvement and a return to full health as soon as possible. Once the warm weather returns it will no doubt act as encouragement for both of them!

I have been falling behind on this thread, and have only just caught up with J001.

What a marvellous colour shot that is, and it is great to see that despite it being over 65 years old the slide has not deteriorated so far.

Priceless is the only word that comes to mind.