Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Change it to black & white, or even sepia, and it would be like a time-warp.

Yep that 1.3 Austin Montego was pretty Victorian. The 2.0 MG version though was pretty underrated could see off many a Golf GTI.

• RMweb Gold

Yep that 1.3 Austin Montego was pretty Victorian. The 2.0 MG version though was pretty underrated could see off many a Golf GTI.

Maestro if you please Porcy, I have an MG one which I hope to be back on the road this year and you're right about the golf!

Edited by russ p
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it's been some time since we had any industrial railway photos so here are a few more of the NCB Harton Railway at South Shields in the mid 1980s.

attachicon.gifSouth Shields Harton Staithes NCB hoppers in sidings 14th Sept 85 C7160.jpg

South Shields Harton Staithes NCB hoppers in sidings 14th Sept 85 C7160

attachicon.gifSouth Shields left to Westoe right to Victoris 14th Sept 85 C7162.jpg

South Shields left to Westoe right to Victoris 14th Sept 85 C7162

attachicon.gifSouth Shields St Hilda sidings EE.Baguley No 14 21st Feb 86 C7332.jpg

South Shields St Hilda sidings EE.Baguley No 14 21st Feb 86 C7332

attachicon.gifSouth Shields St Hilda sidiings , by Crossgate bridge 2nd April 86 C7360.jpg

South Shields St Hilda sidiings , by Crossgate bridge 2nd April 86 C7360

attachicon.gifSouth Shields Harton staithes EE.Baguley shunting 14th Feb 87 C8194.jpg

South Shields Harton staithes EE.Baguley shunting 14th Feb 87 C8194

David

That is not fair David. I thought I had given up any ideas of modelling the Harton staithes. :O

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the NCB Harton Railway at South Shields. There is so much to see, and so much that is so modellable. It was a great example of an industrial railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, afraid the cobbled 'Victorian' scene is basically all false and modern.  Turning slightly to the right would reveal the old customs house that is real though!

My home town, and oh how I miss the Harton system, having been born in earshot of it.

LMS Forever - I recommend 'The Harton Electric Railway' - tells you all about it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The picture in the snow looks good,very low cabs on loco how extensive was the system?  Montego,s  drove one for a short while and it frightened the life out of me glad when my Cotina estate arrived!

In the years when  these photographs were taken the line ran from Westoe pit to the Low staithes which was a distance of about 1.25 miles.

In 1908 the original electrification scheme had been the 2.41 miles from St Hilda Colliery to Low Staithes, in total 7.2 miles of track were wired including sidings.

In 1911 a further 1.94 miles of line was wired from Benthouse sidings to Harton Colliery.

The line to Westoe colliery was also electrified when it opened.  Some extra track was wired in NCB days.

By 1913 there were 10 electric locos in service. In NCB during the 1950s days a further 5 electric locos were purchased.

Information from "The Harton Electric Railway  Author Hatcher pub  Oakwood  ISBN 0853614571  136 pages plus 56 pages of photos.

The book gives a full account of the lines owned by the colliery company from the earliest pre electric days up to closure.

David

PS New Haven Neil got there first with the book!

D.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

Yes, afraid the cobbled 'Victorian' scene is basically all false and modern.  Turning slightly to the right would reveal the old customs house that is real though!

The stump of the chimney that used to be Cooksons Glassworks and became the HCC/NCB wagon repair shop still stands.

Then:

post-508-0-63997700-1454969060.jpg

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/southtynesideimages/jpgh_southtyneside/STH0001740.jpg

Now:

https://goo.gl/maps/419wJBoRctC2

A further 3 pages of images of the immediate area  are here:

http://www.southtynesideimages.org.uk/frontend.php?&searchterms=Mill+Dam&action=search&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29Mill%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3BAND%3BRef_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29Dam%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3B&pages=120&page=1

Things to look out for: The original Barbour clothing factory.

All the "gadgee's" hanging round the lampost waiting for work.

The Joseph Straker Mission Ship.

Tenuous link time. My Uncle ended up working for the Straker family at their family home, Stagshaw House in Northumberland. Joseph Strakers active business partner, Joseph Love was probaby one of the most tyrannical  coal owners in the history of the industry! The preserved steam Loco "Stagshaw" was originally a Strakers & Love Locomotive.

At least there is some recognisable parts of the Mill Dam area. The North Bank of the Tyne immediately opposite Mill Dam and where Joe Straker started off as a timber merchant has been totally decimated.

P

Edited to add missing words.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The stump of the chimney that used to be Cooksons Glassworks and became the HCC/NCB wagon repair shop still stands.

Then:

attachicon.gifCooksons Mill Dam.jpg

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/southtynesideimages/jpgh_southtyneside/STH0001740.jpg

Now:

https://goo.gl/maps/419wJBoRctC2

A further 3 pages of images of the immediate area  are here:

http://www.southtynesideimages.org.uk/frontend.php?&searchterms=Mill+Dam&action=search&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29Mill%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3BAND%3BRef_No_increment%2CTitle%2CLocation%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%3BMATCHES%3B%28%5E%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29Dam%28%24%7C%5B%5Ea-zA-Z%5D%29%3B&pages=120&page=1

Things to look out for: The original Barbour clothing factory.

All the "gadgee's" hanging round the lampost waiting for work.

The Joseph Straker Mission Ship.

Tenuous link time. My Uncle ended up working for the Straker family at their family home, Stagshaw House in Northumberland. Joseph Strakers active business partner, Joseph Love was probaby one of the most tyrannical  coal owners in the history of the industry! The preserved steam Loco "Stagshaw" was originally a Strakers & Love Locomotive.

At least there is some recognisable parts of the Mill Dam area. The North Bank of the Tyne immediately opposite Mill Dam and where Joe Straker started off as a timber merchant has been totally decimated.

P

Edited to add missing words.

Hi Porcy

Wasn't the area in your photo the site of Britain's first race riot? Can't remember the date but I think it was in the 1920's, a lot of the seamen who worked on the Tyne shipping had Arab/north African ancestry and when work became hard to find they were the last to be offered it. A protest was organised which developed into a riot.

Hi Porcy

Wasn't the area in your photo the site of Britain's first race riot? Can't remember the date but I think it was in the 1920's, a lot of the seamen who worked on the Tyne shipping had Arab/north African ancestry and when work became hard to find they were the last to be offered it. A protest was organised which developed into a riot.

Your quite right Clive. I have a sneaking suspicion that a good number of the photographs that I linked to that show men milling about and the odd police officer had something to do with the resurgent riots in the 1930's but  I thought better of mentioning it. I know the area was also well known for unemployed men looking for work.  I've always found South Shields a smashing and cosmopolitan place. There were a number of guys of Yemeni descent worked at Westoe Colliey. The Salem brothers were two that I remember.

P

Edited to sort out the spill chucker.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Some photos at Cambridge and Trumpington for today.  Once again some of the slides had suffered a big colour change and had picked up an overall magenta colour - and some of them were not all that good to start with but they are some sort of historical record.

attachicon.gifm Cambridge looking north Sept 76C3013.jpg

Cambridge looking north Sept 76 C3013

attachicon.gifm Cambridge 31239 Cambridge to Liverpool St Sept 76 C3012.jpg

Cambridge 31239 Cambridge to Liverpool St Sept 76 C3012

attachicon.gifr Trumpington Class 31 up oil Sept 76 C3006.jpg

Trumpington Class 31 up oil Sept 76 C3006

attachicon.gifr Trumpington Class 37 up goods Sept 76 C3007.jpg

Trumpington Class 37 up goods Sept 76 C3007

attachicon.gifr Trumpington Class 47 up ex pass July 74 C1665.jpg

Trumpington Class 47 up ex pass July 74 C1665

David

No question in C3012 & C3013 which route the St. Ives branch sand trains took, then !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Re the Harton pictures:

Damn! Where is the "triple like" button when you need it?

Thank you very much indeed for those pictures.

One of the frustrations in my life was that in the mid 80s, when we lived in the south of England, I used to take my wife to visit her mother in Sunderland and I had no idea at the time that the Harton railway existed. How could I have missed that?

If I had have been aware I would have been much keener to visit the MIL more often and found excuses to go off and see the trains with my young son! A fascinating railway that I really regret missing.

No question in C3012 & C3013 which route the St. Ives branch sand trains took, then !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I wonder just how much didn't make it to King's cross/Wood Green. I remember the sleepers were covered at St Ives, Fen Drayton was near Burried and fairly heavy deposits wherever the train slowed/stopped/bumped or snatched.

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/East-Anglian-Railway-Archive/i-L6B2vW8

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really lovely photos of Cambridge and Trumpington. They do indeed form a good historical record - a bit like some of those in my East Yorkshire thread which I hope are doing likewise.

In C3012 I can see a class 100 DMU. I think the class 31 is well in the background. Fascinating to visit those long ago times.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some really lovely photos of Cambridge and Trumpington. They do indeed form a good historical record - a bit like some of those in my East Yorkshire thread which I hope are doing likewise.

In C3012 I can see a class 100 DMU. I think the class 31 is well in the background. Fascinating to visit those long ago times.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It would have helped if I'd used the right caption - I've now changed it.

David

• RMweb Premium

Which is why people from South Shields are known as "sand dancers"

Douglas

Sorry, no.  Google for images of 'South Shields Beach' - that will tell you why - 2 miles of golden sand.  I'm a sand dancer, I was born 50 yards from that beach!

Sorry for the OT, Dave.