Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

"How did they get away with 105s on the KX-Cambridge trains?"

They certainly did, and a little later than 1969 there was an evening KX-Cambridge working that was a 105. Not only rattly but very dusty. Sit down and clouds of dust flew up. Purgatory after a couple of hours overtime.

The Brampton branch served a yard just east of and behind Goytside Terrace (eight three storey houses) which was originally a colliery, ran along what is now called Goytside Road and terminated roughly where Morrisons now is. Talltim of this parish can give more information. It was cut back in this area many years ago. Yes, that fancy gate does mark the route. Part is now a footpath.

And  Little Bytham in your photos is difficult to reconcile with Tony Wright's layout often illustrated on this site. I am afraid I prefer his version.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

Still awaiting cemflo pics!!

Mike,

I'll look after you son.

Some rather tasty colour pics have recently appeared on Flickr of Cemflos passing through Newcastle in 1965. Rather than do my normal thing and hijack Dave's topic I've started a new thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107721-cemflos-cliffe-uddingston-flow-silver-queens/&do=findComment&comment=2185185

*Warning* You may need the assistance of your nurse to sooth palpitations and administer kleenex.

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Well not sure I can follow any logic for the photos, so think I'll just carry on enjoying them as usual!

:-)

What happened to the SNCF loco in C1871?

Kevin

The SNCF 141R went to Bressingham but I don't know where it is now.

David

Doncaster 40033 Empress of England up empty news vans Oct 83 C6290

This was the return empties from Cleethorpes to Longsight.

We used to work it from Sheffield to Guide Bridge via New Mills and Romiley. Guide Bridge men relieved us and worked down to Manc Picc and propelled the train back into Longsight.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great to see how things were at Tyseley back in September, 1970. It was fairly early days for preservation back then.

The Great Eastern photo's are a good selection. There is a most excellent portrait of 08 767 in the last two photo's. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some great photo's of Swayfield today. It is good seeing all those class 1 trains powering by. You really must have enjoyed yourself. A good mixture of 37's and 47's, which seem to have been the two classes of diesels in use on the ECML at that time after the Deltics.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

More Smashing stuff Dave

I reckon that 37 in J2484 is one of the 6960 - 6968 air braked series allocated to Stratford - the additional lamp bracket above the headcode box is the give away, haven't seen that fitting on any others. Freightliner would be AB working of course

Terminal digit looks like a 7 perhaps which would make it 6967

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

1A08 was the 07:55 Bradford/08:30 Leeds-KX.

1A26 was the 13:35 Leeds-KX.

I can't find anything for the oil train. Maybe it was diverted off the GN&GE Joint line through Peterborough?

4C60 was the 07:40 (or thereabouts) Leeds Stourton FLT to Tilbury FLT.

1L13 was the 11:30 KX-Harrogate (Saturdays formation).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1A08 was the 07:55 Bradford/08:30 Leeds-KX.

1A26 was the 13:35 Leeds-KX.

I can't find anything for the oil train. Maybe it was diverted off the GN&GE Joint line through Peterborough?

4C60 was the 07:40 (or thereabouts) Leeds Stourton FLT to Tilbury FLT.

1L13 was the 11:30 KX-Harrogate (Saturdays formation).

I thought 4C60 sounded familiar; I used to see it passing through Cambridge when I was at school (or should have been!).

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That is excellent news about your Mum. At the very least she is now back home, which is where she needs to be. I understand what you are saying about all the care that she will be needing, but at least she is home, which is the main thing.

The photo's of Aycliffe are very good, and show how parched things were by early August in the long, hot, sunny summer of '76. A great selection of trains to be seen in those photos.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

David, better news about your mother, hopefully she will continue to recover.

Can I just again express my gratitude for this topic which is my absolute favourite on RMWeb; Mainly (of course) for your fantastic collection of photos, but also for the knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and sometimes witty responses from other contributors, which help make this topic an absolute pleasure to visit every day. Thanks David.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Dave, I'm glad things gave improved a bit for you and your Mum I hope she continues to improve

Excellent pictures again from an unusual location, the last one has a 37 on containerised coke wagons

C2947 from the formation, is the summer dated 15:48 Newcastle-KX

C2949 should be the 10:30 Aberdeen-KX

C2950 should be the 09:24 Bristol-Newcastle

C2952 is probably the 16:15 Newcastle-Liverpool LSt

Edited by mark54

Hi Dave, good news with regards to your mother. May she get well soon.

Many thanks for the Harwich and Mangytree pictures, alas some views now much changed..

The parents of the girlfriend I had before meeting my now wife lived in the light blue house to the left of the 08 in C2779 (post 5652).