Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the Highland line. I love the Scottish scenery and how the railway winds through it. And what a good photo of Thurso in the last one. It also has two ex- SR box vans in it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Cambridge photos. I lived there then, commuting to London. Great to see the area again. Do you have any decent ones of the ex GER signals at the north end by Mill Road bridge? I think the up starter was also ex GER. They maye have gone before 1976.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

No tablet in the catcher shot, but thanks very much for taking such a good record of it!

You're spoiling me with shots of Cambridge and the Highlands, more please!

Oh and while I'm here, the 'Sand Storm' from Middleton Towers to Ellesmere port starts loaded with about 2200 tons, and we are told can have lost a wagon load (about 100 tons) by the time it arrives! This varies depending on the amount of wind and the amount of the 'gunk' they spray on it.

Andy G

No tablet in the catcher shot, but thanks very much for taking such a good record of it!

You're spoiling me with shots of Cambridge and the Highlands, more please!

Oh and while I'm here, the 'Sand Storm' from Middleton Towers to Ellesmere port starts loaded with about 2200 tons, and we are told can have lost a wagon load (about 100 tons) by the time it arrives! This varies depending on the amount of wind and the amount of the 'gunk' they spray on it.

Andy G

I can't wait to be rubbing the sand out of my eyes at March soon. Bye bye facing point locks on the up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the Cambridge photos. I lived there then, commuting to London. Great to see the area again. Do you have any decent ones of the ex GER signals at the north end by Mill Road bridge? I think the up starter was also ex GER. They maye have gone before 1976.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

If I have they will be somewhere in my thread of Dad's black and white photos at:   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo's of the WCML at Hillmorton. That first one is good. It shows how the yellow panel changed the appearance of the electric loco's - four colours with it, yellow, white, blue, and red. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C004, Thurso, the most northern station in the UK and it has two southern vans. :O

One uneven planked and one plywood...

Is it that we are noticing these (and the SR PMV/CCTs in other photos) because they got around a bit or because of the distinctive design (in the case of the 12T vans the elliptical roof)?

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold
attachicon.gife Spithead MV Fishbourne car ferry Portsmouth to Fishbourne June 75 C2163.jpg

Spithead MV Fishbourne car ferry Portsmouth to Fishbourne June 75 C2163 an enlargement from part of a slide

That's a C Class probably the Caedmon as her sisters Cenred and Cenwulf would have been on the Lymington-Yarmouth service.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo's of the Solent and Isle Of Wight. It is great seeing the ferries. And quite a story about how M V Shanklin in C2160 had a slight collision - hopefully no one was hurt.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting 4th photo of the 81 in corporate blue but still retaining what appears to be the original white cab roof.

Thanks for the comment.

It may not be corporate blue as it still has the original metal crest.  It is very difficult to tell the shade a loco is painted from slides as not all colour films rendered colour accurately, then you have to consider the fading with time and the scanning process, plus the person "correcting" the image after scanning (in this case me) who may get it "wrong".

Edit.

I've enlarged the loco in the image, to show the original crest.

Of course it could have been repainted without double arrows but I think that is unlikely.

post-5613-0-36542100-1455316066_thumb.jpg

Hillmorton Class 81 Euston to Glasgow Sept 68  J1455

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

David has another photo of this livery; its probably the same loco E3013.

https://flic.kr/p/9rq25C

Edit; and here's another with full yellow ends and a metal crest, this time E3012 but with no white cabs.

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p397226030/h102f5d77#h222a6d8d

There must be a colour picture somewhere....

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Leeds. The first one is especially atmospheric and would make such a great model. I love the steam being emitted from D135 in the second photo', you don't see that anymore on the national network.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Given your comments about colour rendition, can you say what colour the peak is in J694? It looks blue to me.

Thanks

Graham

Grham,

Thanks for asking, it can sometimes be difficult to be certain from the photos.

It is Blue, no arrows - from Dad's notes made at the time.

David

• RMweb Gold

Cracking photos as always Dave

There were 22 peaks in that early blue livery - Russell Saxton lists them here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49364&start=50

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1