Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

They were built during WW2 by the Ministry of Supply - not sure what exactly for though.

Marked on the 1966 OS map as buffer depot. I've always taken that to mean Wartime storage (For D Day?)  A further google turns up this from here:

http://www.terriertrust.org.uk/railwaywar.html

"The permanent way was not the only neglected feature of the railway in the 1930s and government control provided the opportunity to renovate and repair what is now Station Road in Tenterden, and get it adopted by the Council. The road was simple gravel and had not been touched for 20 years; increased wartime traffic, including that to the Food storage (‘Buffer’) depot established at the station during May/June 1944, made the matter urgent."

I wonder if someones been tryng to get them Listed?

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1418970

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

J2412 Boughton Crossing signal box and gates reminds me of the truism concerning painting the buildings on a line just before it closes.  I'm not sure when that line actually did close but it can't have been so long afterwards, and the box and gates look so smart in their fresh paintwork!  Same goes for the Bridge Street gates as well, although I believe in that case the gates were replaced by barriers several years before that piece of line was finally abandoned.

• RMweb Gold

Two sets of photos today.

I took the first ones earlier this afternoon while I was parked by the Lake at the Queen Elizabeth 2 Country Park, just north of Ashington, near the Woodhorn Museum.

The museum covers the mining heritage of Northumberland as well as other aspects of the county together with the Pitmen Painters and temporary exhibitions.  It is also the site of the Northumberland County Records.

One of the attractions is the narrow gauge railway which runs from the museum to the Lake, terminating at Lakeside Halt.

The railway is not well known and seems to be seldom photographed.  It has three locos, all diesel.  Edward Stanton was built by Keef, the coaches are former manriders from Vane Tempest Colliery at Seaham.

More about the railway can be found at:  http://woodhornnarrowgaugerailway.weebly.com/

The museum website is:  http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/

post-5613-0-87062600-1455810472_thumb.jpg

Woodhorn Museum Railway Edward Stanton at Lakeside Halt 18th Feb 2106 ASC 2032

post-5613-0-13485400-1455810453_thumb.jpg

Edward Stanton at Lakeside Halt 18th Feb 2016 ASC_2033

post-5613-0-42526200-1455810460_thumb.jpg

Edward Stanton leaving Lakeside Halt

post-5613-0-23902200-1455810466_thumb.jpg

Edward Stanton returning to Woodhorn

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

When I finally finish my time machine (just the flux capacitor to source and it's done) I'm setting off to join Dave and his Dad on their days out.  They don't know this yet.  Or don't remember it.  Something.

It wasn't unknown for us to have other people accompanying us when we were taking photos.  From time to time we also came across other photographers - though not often in the earlier days.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Fascinating photo's of a remarkable railway which I have not heard of before. Thank you for posting them.

And I really like the photo's of North Wales. A good selection there. I particularly like the one of Roman Bridge which is full of atmosphere.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did not know this railway existed been to Woodhorn a couple of times but did not see line how long has it been there?

It opened in 1994, then closed while the new archive building was being built, re opened in 2008/9.

It hasn't always been well publicised and it is quite easy to visit the museum and miss it as it is best found by walking to the northern end of the car park.

David

When I finally finish my time machine (just the flux capacitor to source and it's done) I'm setting off to join Dave and his Dad on their days out.  They don't know this yet.  Or don't remember it.  Something.

Just make sure you go back to either 1955 or 1985, you might need this as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamond-Select-Back-To-The-Future-Flux-Capacitor-Replica-Unlimited-Edition-/181985444070?hash=item2a5f2d80e6:g:GAMAAOSwL7VWj~OV

Regards to all, and keep the excellent photos coming.

Jeff

Can i join you, in the passenger seat please

Lets get down to St Davids in the Mid to late 60`s please

Edited by Ray M

• RMweb Gold

The photo of c7491, the 47 still at this late date has the original ETH jumper cable dummy socket on the buffer beam instead of mounted on the cab front.

All the 47/4s converted after 47585 had this arrangement, only 47421-47585 had the cab front mounted sockets

• RMweb Premium

All the 47/4s converted after 47585 had this arrangement, only 47421-47585 had the cab front mounted sockets

Indeed - although many of the Scottish allocated 47/4s from that batch had them moved to the buffer beam later in life. Can't recall why.

• RMweb Gold

WCML photos again today in post electrification days with shots from both Weedon and Kilsby and Crick.

attachicon.gifb_Kilsby and Crick Class 86 down Motorail Kensington Olympia to Perth on Northampton loop July 79_J6526.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 86 down Motorail Kensington Olympia to Perth on Northampton loop July 79 J6526

attachicon.gifb_Kilsby and Crick Class 86 Liverpool to Euston on Northampton loop July 79_J6528.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 86 Liverpool to Euston on Northampton loop July 79 J6528

attachicon.gifb_Kilsby and Crick Class 310 089 Coventry to Euston Oct 70_J2409.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 310 089 Coventry to Euston Oct 70 J2409

attachicon.gife_Weedon Class 86 E3124 Euston to Jolyhead Aug 69 _J1807.jpg

Weedon Class 86 E3124 Euston to Holyhead Aug 69 J1807

attachicon.gife_Weedon Class 86 E3145 Euston to Manchester Aug 69_J1811.jpg

Weedon Class 86 E3145 Euston to Manchester Aug 69 J1811

David

Stop it now, that's just not fair :)

Andi

J2412 Boughton Crossing signal box and gates reminds me of the truism concerning painting the buildings on a line just before it closes.  I'm not sure when that line actually did close but it can't have been so long afterwards, and the box and gates look so smart in their fresh paintwork!  Same goes for the Bridge Street gates as well, although I believe in that case the gates were replaced by barriers several years before that piece of line was finally abandoned.

Not sure when the gates at Bridge St were replaced but Id hazard a guess at around 1980.

Boughton closed with the line in 1981 but again I cant remember if the gates were replaced before then, I don't think they were.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - although many of the Scottish allocated 47/4s from that batch had them moved to the buffer beam later in life. Can't recall why.

It was because the ETH cable box under the RH buffer and the socket under the LH buffer would be hidden behind (or would prevent the fitment of) the 3-piece snowploughs