Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks Dave. I wasn't living in Lincolnshire at the time but I do remember visiting my Dad and him telling me of unusual large freight trains passing the house from time to time, but I didn't take a great deal of notice. 

I gather Boston was used during various industrial disputes to bring imports into the UK which would have not been allowed at bigger ports elsewhere. 

King's Lynn is another possibility.  I believe both ports handled steel (and Boston still does), whilst King's Lynn handled urea for CIBA- Geigy. When there were problems at Harwich or Felixstowe, Freightliner also used King's Lynne. The coil (I suspect Cold Reduced, due to the plastic wrapping) is probably bound for Wolverhampton terminal.

• Thanks 1

Would a Kings Lynn train for Wolverhampton be routed via that route, though? I'm not sure when the March - Spalding line was closed, but it would have had to perform the back somersault at Ely and then go via Peterborough and Grantham which appears to be something of a mystery trip.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, great central said:

Boston is still used for steel imports, there's a train most days, usually class 60 hauled.

I'm not sure how a Lackenby to Corby would get here, unless by a reversal at Grantham.

I was assuming via the joint line (Gainsborough/Lincoln) as it probably wouldn't have been allowed down the ECML. But I agree a rather longer diversion than likely to be needed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, DaveF said:

123007933_WarkworthClass47downspecialPilkingtoncoaches12thSept92C18047.jpg.4ccf84207c66ca64fc8966a0c5e8f959.jpg

Warkworth Class 47 down special Pilkington coaches 12th Sept 92 C18047.jpg  Just to the north of the site of the station.

Six Bells Junction has a Cheshire Railtours charter running on 12 September 1992 using the Pilkington K set, hauled by 47631 and running 1Z28 Preston - S&C - Carlisle - WCML - Preston - Wakefield Kirkgate. 47631 was never in I/C livery and I thought there was only one Pilkington liveried set. So something doesn't add up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Would a Kings Lynn train for Wolverhampton be routed via that route, though? I'm not sure when the March - Spalding line was closed, but it would have had to perform the back somersault at Ely and then go via Peterborough and Grantham which appears to be something of a mystery trip.

I assume you mean a reversal at Ely? Why not use the curve at Ely North Junction, no reversal necessary.

Stewart

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I assume you mean a reversal at Ely? Why not use the curve at Ely North Junction, no reversal necessary.

Stewart

No, I meant going around almost in a circle via the loop. I just used a weird phrase for it because I am weird. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I was assuming via the joint line (Gainsborough/Lincoln) as it probably wouldn't have been allowed down the ECML. But I agree a rather longer diversion than likely to be needed.

Don't think that would work, there's no north to west connection at Sleaford.

Going almost to Lincoln then turn right at Pyewipe junction would only bring you back to Newark north gate. At that time you could then have taken the line south to Bottesford west junction but the station is East of there?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Wasn't that curve out of use for some time, Stewart?

I believe so, though it might have been in one direction only? It's only just down the road from me, but I really can't answer that!

Stewart

• Thanks 1

I expect that a report may have appeared in a Modern Railways (or equivalent) at the time, but my copies of MR are stored somewhere in the loft and I am unable to get boxes without the help of one of my fitter relatives. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s from between Alnmouth and Morpeth which are all full of interest. I particularly like the bucolic scene in J10544, at Wooden Gates, with a class 254 HST, on an up express in November, 1989. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Six Bells Junction has a Cheshire Railtours charter running on 12 September 1992 using the Pilkington K set, hauled by 47631 and running 1Z28 Preston - S&C - Carlisle - WCML - Preston - Wakefield Kirkgate. 47631 was never in I/C livery and I thought there was only one Pilkington liveried set. So something doesn't add up!

A bit of detective work on class47.co.uk reveals it is most likely 47973. About the only one in Mainline livery with nameplate and plaque that fits.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0948000442000

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

It's my fault - I typed the wrong date when I captioned this photo, it should be the 19th September 1992 not the 12th September.

My apologies.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, keefer said:

47973 it is then: https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/90s/920919df.htm

(Wonder why they were going to Dunfermline?)

A nice trip over the Forth Railway Bridge and then no reason to go much further except I would have wanted to do the Fife circle via Cowdenbeath and Kirkcaldy! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

J9189 is a great picture at low fell. I don’t recognise the wagons behind the first two, what are they?

Great pictures as always.

Also not 37363, which didn't exist. Has a (Scottish) car headlight so should be easy enough for someone who knows 37s better than me to work out.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

J9189 is a great picture at low fell. I don’t recognise the wagons behind the first two, what are they?

Might be the PR255xx tipplers as illustrated (at Ferryhill) by Paul Bartlett at

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/procorpsa

Later edit: sorry, I didn't read your comment correctly, and my reply was about the first two wagons. The 3rd etc are identified a few posts further on by Fat Controller.

Edited by eastwestdivide
My mistake
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Don't think so. 37303 didn't have a lamp bracket above the headcode panel or a car headlight.

There are pics of 303 with two filled holes where the bracket was, but no headlight.

Oh well, it is definitely though a class 37 :D

Edited by woodenhead
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1