Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the ECML photo’s at Cramlington. All are of interest, and of that first photo’, I see reference has been made to whiting traffic from the Hull area by Fat Controller. The whiting works were located on the edge of Beverley Westwood, and, whilst the goods yard was open, the whiting was conveyed in those and other wagons to it’s destination. 

Secondly, I like the photo’ of 37356 on an up light engine movement, on the 5th November, 1988, in C11606. A well captured view of the 37.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2020 at 17:44, caradoc said:

Great pictures of 'my' railway and 'my' units David, thanks.

Having used the walkway to the Exhibition Centre for last month's Model Rail Scotland, I can attest that it no longer looks anything like as clean, or as transparent !

On 17/03/2020 at 19:42, Paul13 said:

I miss 303s, always had a soft spot for them.

The bridge over the expressway to the sec really is an eyesore nowadays and is an embarrassment considering how many visitors to events who aren't from Glasgow use it.

IIRC the walkway cover was originally bright orange? - it's faded a bit since then!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The load was crushed magnesium limestone (Dolomite) from the Ferryhill area, bound for various locations around Scotland. The wagons in this photo are former Ferry Opens, built by BR to diagram 1/056. Some were cut down to 5-planks. Some of these wagons had previously been used for 'whiting' traffic from the Hull area.

With reference to J9504 on the previous page:

When I first saw this picture I initially wondered if the open wagons were the SWB ODAs, but the taller second wagon confused me.

But of course, as Fat Controller says, they are the former ferry opens. Coded OJX or presumably OJA by the time this picture was taken.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the new set of Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are all full of interest. In  J6374, with a class 114, Derby Heavyweight DMU, on a Skegness to Nottingham service, in January, 1979, you have a scene which captures so well the exceptionally cold and snowy conditions which we had to face that winter. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Courtesy of RailGenArchive, some positive IDs for the trailing class 20s in today's collection:

J6140 - 20 188 was paired with 20 048 throughout the month of June 1978

C4097 - 20 136 was paired with 20 041 for its "Jolly Fisherman" appearances in August 1978

Interesting that in C4097, the trailing loco (20 041) appears to be applying power but there is no exhaust from the front loco. As they would normally be working in multiple, I wonder if 20 136 was sickly on that day?

Edited by 35A
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML at Stoke Bank. All of them are full of interest and nostalgia. Such a completely different world back in those days. The first photo’, of Essendine, with a class 254 HST, on a Kings Cross to Bradford express train in August, 1983, is most intriguing. The front of that leading class 43 power car has, in black, it’s running number, 43056, under the windscreen. I don’t recall seeing that livery variant before. Plus the smoke deflector seems not to have been doing such a good job, with the cab roof covered in fumes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

For a old design, from a photo taken from so many years ago, those mk2d in blue/grey still look so modern. It must be the simple clean lines of the coaches, and a simple not OTT livery, unlike some of what has been fostered on the railways now by "designers".

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

805211551_BurtonleCogglesupexpassAug71J2729.jpg.1ee83b05796ff04593e9b393e305a56e.jpg

Burton le Coggles up ex pass Aug 71 J2729.jpg

David

I love this picture. The feather was Corby Glen's lever 72, the main aspect was lever 74 and the call on lever 73. 69 signal is alongside on the down fast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the photo’s of the ECML at Stoke Bank. All of them are full of interest and nostalgia. Such a completely different world back in those days. The first photo’, of Essendine, with a class 254 HST, on a Kings Cross to Bradford express train in August, 1983, is most intriguing. The front of that leading class 43 power car has, in black, it’s running number, 43056, under the windscreen. I don’t recall seeing that livery variant before. Plus the smoke deflector seems not to have been doing such a good job, with the cab roof covered in fumes.

Another pic here,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140710651@N05/39033567394

The roof has been painted black.

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Cambois and North Blyth photo’s which are all full of interest. In C11759, at Cambois, with 56133, on Alcan empties to North Blyth, on the 28th March, 1989, you have an excellent three quarter front portrait of the 56. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Another great batch today, Dave. It’s not just the trains from that period that are interesting; it’s all the other little details that make your pictures such a joy. In the Carlisle pictures, I like the inclusion of the man in C9112 with his Adidas rain jacket (I had one just like that back then) and white slip-on shoes (never had a pair of those!!). And in J10952 there are at least two people jotting numbers down in their books. Great shots, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1