Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Hi Clive,

I thought it was about time I caught up with your operating woes!. 

The cam coupling fittings and excess side play in driving wheels are RTR manufacturer's attempts to get fairly accurate scale models to go round set track curves. If your track is around 3' radius or greater these features are unnecessary and can add problems.

The side play is mainly an issue with pick-ups, it is essential to check these have contact with the wheel back over the whole side play movement. Using Peco fibre washers with a bit cut out to make a 'C' and slipping these in to take up some side play can help.

Some of the 'L1' pony trucks seem to have had Mazak rot issues. I got a replacement for Fred's loco and put a single pivot on another, which eliminated the twin slot thing, itself a troublesome feature on some locos. I cut the studs off the front of the keeper plate and made the new pivot arm long enough to fit to the first keeper plate screw.

The cam coupling mechs are often slack causing the couplings to sit low, so are better glued up solid, certainly on long wheelbase four wheel vehicles.

With bogie stock the units are body mounted so gluing up is no good. I've used Hornby's 'Roco' style couplings on their LMS coaches successfully which closes the gap making the gangways almost touch. These couplings form a rigid bar when coupled that keeps the cam units under control. Bachmann 'porthole' stock needs actual Roco couplers available from Gaugemaster, these are shorter than Hornby's.

Layout issues. Points will usually eventually give trouble with blade only contact. The black crud that is present on any operating layout will work its way between blade and stock rail. Wipe your fingers over the rails and take a look at them!, using a track rubber cleans the rail tops but rubber bits can end up in the points. 

Your layout may have been laid now just long enough to be starting to get 'settlement' issues where the baseboard and track materials are adjusting to their environment and may need regular monitoring and minor adjustment to keep things running. This happens on the real thing!.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at the "half moon" behind the headstock. I've had one or two where there was a bit of flash that caught on the moving part of the coupler mount. A couple of strokes with a sanding stick fixed it.

What he said. I've had similar issues with the Maunsells.

John.

Hi John and UDJ

The Hawksworth BG is now behaving itself, thanks. Still what a stupid overly engineered bit of kit, never had problems with Tri-ang or Lima coaches and their couplings mounted on the bogies. :good:

I had a DMU play up the other night, daft continental couplings between coaches on the Bachy units kept undoing. As soon as Brexit is out the way I can replace them with good old fashioned British ones (made in China). :sarcastic:

Last night and today there have been no problems with the trains until the fat bald bloke gets involved. :umbrage:

Services are running on a special time table as work progresses in fitting point motors to the Doncaster Sidings.

Look where the replacement bus service has had to come from.

post-16423-0-52963400-1544018935_thumb.png

• Like 5

I think she has caught a train from London to Plymouth on the LSWR west of England line and is going through Exeter Central. " You got me heading east on a west bound train."

?  

St Davids surely?

• RMweb Premium

Services are running on a special time table as work progresses in fitting point motors to the Doncaster Sidings.

Look where the replacement bus service has had to come from.

attachicon.gif006a.png

That explains it then. With Devon General's spare fleet working in Sheffield on Rail Replacement the recent "Filton Four-Track" project in Bristol has had to use buses on loan from Leeds. I expect the drivers waved as they passed each other on the motorway...

Look it is in bandit country, where  me mum told me not to go, so it it easy to make a mistake if you have never been there. :nomention:

Hi Clive,

I have also come across the excellent Wagakki Band following your link to Band-Maid.

Here's another Wagakki Band link to an excellent instrumental:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKD9RKRKqTc

Edited by Ian_H

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I have also come across the excellent Wagakki Band following your link to Band-Maid.

Here's another Wagakki Band link to an excellent instrumental:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKD9RKRKqTc

Hi Ian

That is one video I haven't seen before. They are quite entertaining, but I am sure our Andy P and his G-Tap band can play as well as Asa, Machiya and Wasabi :sungum: :sungum:

They are a wee bit more than entertaining, they are brilliant.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi Ian

That is one video I haven't seen before. They are quite entertaining, but I am sure our Andy P and his G-Tap band can play as well as Asa, Machiya and Wasabi :sungum: :sungum:

They are a wee bit more than entertaining, they are brilliant.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

NO, :scared:  :scared:  not quite what we used to do, not even close, never mind mate, keep taking the Tablets and don't forget your Medication on Saturday when you visit us.

BTW George and I are have a BIG BREAKFAST at about 8 am if you would care to join us.

• RMweb Premium

I think she has caught a train from London to Plymouth on the LSWR west of England line and is going through Exeter Central. " You got me heading east on a west bound train."

Thanks Clive, that's today's ear-worm sorted.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NO, :scared:  :scared:  not quite what we used to do, not even close, never mind mate, keep taking the Tablets and don't forget your Medication on Saturday when you visit us.

BTW George and I are have a BIG BREAKFAST at about 8 am if you would care to join us.

I am going to arrive about lunch time.

• RMweb Premium

Part timer, :O  I'll be heading for home by then, hahah. :nono:

Look here matey, 2 hour drive to yours. Plus Gus and Hugo don't like getting up early on a Saturday for their walk. :nono:  And I might have stable duties.

I have now completed fitting and wiring up the points in the Doncaster Sidings, test indicate no problems. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 2

Look here matey, 2 hour drive to yours. Plus Gus and Hugo don't like getting up early on a Saturday for their walk. :nono:  And I might have stable duties.

I have now completed fitting and wiring up the points in the Doncaster Sidings, test indicate no problems. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Fully understand mate, have a safe journey, and I'll get you a brew when you get here.

• RMweb Premium

I have just finished putting point motors on the Manchester sidings points. That is 62 points all with motors. Somehow when I ordered the stuff for Exchange I counted the number of points and only ordered the amount I needed, I have one extra.

As I was putting the last motor on a point blade broke. Luckily I still have a few of Hanging Hill's left overs and found a right hand long point. The broken one was a medium. Th long seems to fit , just. I had to do bit of Red Leader bodgery on it to give it a gentle curve so train going over it will not foul the mainline. All points throw in the right direction. I now need to reconnect the sidings to their points and test some trains over it.

These three ladies have kept me company tonight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad day for us, Clive.  

I even liked his solo stuff, like homosapien

Hi Doc

True. I posted on Currently Listening thread "Nostalgia". I think we all could identify with  the lyrics he wrote 

"I get no love

I get no sleep at nights

I get nothing that's nice

I get nothing at all

At all, at all, at all

At all, at all, at all

Cos I don't get you"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All seems OK, apart from my own errors. In fact I feel a little redundant not having to run over to the Manchester sidings to change points. As I type Skating Polly are singing songs to me and I have Leeds/Bradford to Sheffield Train Via Doncaster  going one way and a Bradford/Leeds to Sheffield Via Barnsley the other way. Both formed of a Derby unit coupled to a Met -Cam. The Leeds/Bradford via Doncaster is a six car (2 x 3 car) and the Bradford /Leeds via Bransley is a four car (2 x 2car).

After they arrived the next departure was a stopper to Huddersfield pulled by a Stanier class 4 tank. It broke, well one the gear wheels did. The motor was whirring away but the wheels didn't move, yes a bit like me. On inspection I found it was one of the plastic gears had split. It appears this is a known problem and no one has any spares. I have super glued it back on and it appears to be working despite a very clear knocking sound. The passengers to Hudersfield are quite pleased that their train hasn't be cancelled and that nice Mr Mortimore, traction supervisor at Sheffield Exchange was able to fix it.

The passengers on the Doncaster local were also pleased because their train was blocked in the station by the broken down Huddersfield train.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Last trains on tonight's operating session have left the fuddle yards with no problems, it is strange not having to run over to the Mancheater sidings to change the entry point before the train hits a dead section of track.

Work needs to be done on the operators discipline, as I have tried a couple of times to send DMUs on to the floor. 

The York express DMU and the Fowler 4MT tank hauled stopper from Halifax have both arrived on time.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Hi Doc

True. I posted on Currently Listening thread "Nostalgia". I think we all could identify with  the lyrics he wrote 

"I get no love

I get no sleep at nights

I get nothing that's nice

I get nothing at all

At all, at all, at all

At all, at all, at all

Cos I don't get you"

A truly lovely man.  I had the pleasure of meeting him, sharing transport, playing up in green rooms etc many times.  Gutted doesn't cover it.  I'll be sure to dedicate one of our songs to his memory tomorrow night, and raise more than one glass with like-minded music lovers.  Rest in Peace, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A truly lovely man.  I had the pleasure of meeting him, sharing transport, playing up in green rooms etc many times.  Gutted doesn't cover it.  I'll be sure to dedicate one of our songs to his memory tomorrow night, and raise more than one glass with like-minded music lovers.  Rest in Peace, Pete.

Make it two songs...second one and then the encore.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any taste on here for some late 70s early 80s prog rock?

Genesis are OK until the grammar school boy took over singing after Peter Gabriel left. I use to like a bit of ELP. but they predate your time band......The gigs I went at the time, the third band had played all 20 songs in their set (and the fight with the skins had finished) by the time  a prog-rock band had finished their opening number.  I had a fellow squaddie who was into prog-rock when I was pogoing. I asked him what was so good about a song? He said "The bit with the keyboard player touched the keys". "But that was the whole song." "Yeah!!"

OK but NO and I mean NO Yes...................... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

My ear worm since Thursday when I heard it in the Co-op