Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

After spending this afternoon doing yet more fencing and pulling more ragwort I have escaped to the sanctuary of the toy room. 

I have an operating system. I work from siding one on each fuddle yard driving trains in and out. I haven't worked a system for the platform departures as yet, I just pick two that seem to be hanging about for a long time. For the past few days it has been mainly non gangway hauled trains and a few DMUs in the station. Well at the moment it is all DMUs apart from the mixed rake of hauled coaches that are replacing the failed Trans Pennine DMU. Latest arrivals are a 5 coach DMU from Leeds and Bradford and a limited stop 4 car unit from Manchester.

Next time I visit our very own guitar hero, none other than Mr P from G-Tap, I expect to hear him play the lead from this song. :sungum: :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

All set for Warley, no washing for two weeks and the same clothes since last Sunday. Back pack full to the brim, no room for the stale egg sandwiches so I will have to carry them in my coat pocket. Elbow pads are on, Mrs M has asked why I have been walking around like a chicken with its wings sticking out.....how the hell am I going to push my way to the front of Bachy scrum without my elbows barging me forward. Already practicing my sigh of disbelief and disappointment for the Accurascale announcement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The driver and foreman of the black five hauling the late running Trans Pennine replacement were last seen giving all they had to try and make time as they blast their way towards Manchester.

Departing a head of them was a two car DMU for Barnsley, this service can get quite crowded with school kids much to the discomfort of the shoppers getting home in time to make their hubbies their tea.

The station master has received a deputation from a group of regular first class passengers. There seems to be an issue with flickering lights in some of the modern diesel railcars. They were wondering if this DCC thing would prevent this. After they left the station master telephoned the traction depot manager and passed on their concern. He was taken back by the reply of the traction manager, " Not on your Nelly. I get the lights removed that will shut them up."

• Like 1

After spending this afternoon doing yet more fencing and pulling more ragwort I have escaped to the sanctuary of the toy room. 

I have an operating system. I work from siding one on each fuddle yard driving trains in and out. I haven't worked a system for the platform departures as yet, I just pick two that seem to be hanging about for a long time. For the past few days it has been mainly non gangway hauled trains and a few DMUs in the station. Well at the moment it is all DMUs apart from the mixed rake of hauled coaches that are replacing the failed Trans Pennine DMU. Latest arrivals are a 5 coach DMU from Leeds and Bradford and a limited stop 4 car unit from Manchester.

Next time I visit our very own guitar hero, none other than Mr P from G-Tap, I expect to hear him play the lead from this song. :sungum: :sungum:

Coor blimey mate, I wish I had legs like that, and could play Shred like that.

Ah Ragwort!!!!!!!

Anybody involved with horses knows about Ragwort!!!

The bastard, armpit, whore-mongering plant of the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you now know I worked with horses and I started milking cows 'cos I could get a decent ,then"", wage and the of the new money in Cheshire I dealt with I would have had to kill eventually, 1976!!!

But Ragwort!! I've seen what ingesting the stuff does to a horse!! Once, don't ever want to see it again!!

I'm sorry about that rant!

I have no idea where it came from. I'm going to drop into depressing folk music or Zepplin Kashmir!!!

I know the trainset you are playing with tomorrow, I'll introduce myself if I see somebody that I think is you!!

Chris.

PS After this post I'm definitely getting my coat!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

All set for Warley, no washing for two weeks and the same clothes since last Sunday. Back pack full to the brim, no room for the stale egg sandwiches so I will have to carry them in my coat pocket. Elbow pads are on, Mrs M has asked why I have been walking around like a chicken with its wings sticking out.....how the hell am I going to push my way to the front of Bachy scrum without my elbows barging me forward. Already practicing my sigh of disbelief and disappointment for the Accurascale announcement.

If by any chance you get a minute and happen to see a Baccy N tender top that has turned in sides and a little up step at the front on some geezer's pile of carp stand then please get it for me and I'll be your friend for ever. Don't matter what colour it is but a black one with crest and lined would be good.

many thanks old bean and do have a good time.

Duck 

• RMweb Premium

If by any chance you get a minute and happen to see a Baccy N tender top that has turned in sides and a little up step at the front on some geezer's pile of carp stand then please get it for me and I'll be your friend for ever. Don't matter what colour it is but a black one with crest and lined would be good.

Duck 

Hi Phil

If I see one. :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Ah Ragwort!!!!!!!

Anybody involved with horses knows about Ragwort!!!

The bastard, armpit, whore-mongering plant of the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you now know I worked with horses and I started milking cows 'cos I could get a decent ,then"", wage and the ###### of the new money in Cheshire I dealt with I would have had to kill eventually, 1976!!!

But Ragwort!! I've seen what ingesting the stuff does to a horse!! Once, don't ever want to see it again!!

I'm sorry about that rant!

I have no idea where it came from. I'm going to drop into depressing folk music or Zepplin Kashmir!!!

I know the trainset you are playing with tomorrow, I'll introduce myself if I see somebody that I think is you!!

Chris.

PS After this post I'm definitely getting my coat!!!!!

Hi Chris

Looking forward to meeting you.

I witnessed it first hand... mass exodus of Midland and Western Region fans as soon as the cloth was lifted. 

There were no Southern Region fans to leave, they were all off wibbling over Bachmann's expanding range of identikit EMUs

Well if yougo on the Accurascale website they’re selling like the proverbial hot cakes!

Tim T (who doesn’t want one)

Duck 

If you aren't successful at Warley, try giving East Kent models a call. They had a few Bachmann parts at Milton Keynes, including IIRC some "N" bits. The card he gave me quotes a mobile number of 07780 681405.

John.

I'm sorry I didn't manage to say hello yesterday.

I did enjoy the layout, Nice!

Not wishing to be cheeky, do you look like your picture on this forum? On my two visits to the layout, I was studying the operators, both of whom were deep in concentration.

I thought it would be very impolite if I shouted across, "Which one of you is Clive??"

Before the obvious comment arrives, no, I'm not the camel in the pickup in my picture!!!!

I might be as grumpy as one on occaision but I don't look like one !!!

Back to Cerys on 6Music,

Chris.

Oh ******!!!

I know who he is now!!!

Still, I'm sure our paths will cross down the line.

C.

Amazing how three words can describe someone but police struggle to produce e fits from peoples hazy memories. (No comment on police, more the unreliability of eyewitness testimony.)

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry I didn't manage to say hello yesterday.

I did enjoy the layout, Nice!

Not wishing to be cheeky, do you look like your picture on this forum? On my two visits to the layout, I was studying the operators, both of whom were deep in concentration.

I thought it would be very impolite if I shouted across, "Which one of you is Clive??"

Before the obvious comment arrives, no, I'm not the camel in the pickup in my picture!!!!

I might be as grumpy as one on occaision but I don't look like one !!!

Back to Cerys on 6Music,

Chris.

Hi Chris

We had worse shouted at us.

You should have asked, it would have great to meet you.

And I do look like my avatar, just me boat is a bit more rounded and something has happened to me barnet. My mincers need glasses these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

We had worse shouted at us.

You should have asked, it would have great to meet you.

And I do look like my avatar, just me boat is a bit more rounded and something has happened to me barnet. My mincers need glasses these days.

You still got all yer own 'ampsteads?

• RMweb Premium

Enough of what is and isn't mine and working on my body I have a very very serious dilemma. For a long time I have been considering building a LNER GER Hertford line quad-art set to add to my various non gangway coaches. Now the set is made up of a Brake Second (down rated to Third) 3 compartments , diagram 102+ First 6 compartments, diagram 103+Third 7 compartments, diagram 104 +Third 8 compartments, diagram 105. At the weekend I purchased from Precision paints some Kirk coach sides to supplement the Hornby shorty LNER coaches I am going to use.

The brake coach is easy as I have a full brake and some compartments to make it.

The first is very easy, just lop a compartment out of the all first coach side I picked up yesterday.

The 8 compartment third is the easiest as it is same as a normal third.

The 7 compartment third is the one I am having problems with. Most LNER non-gangway coaches have a third compartment that is 6ft 2ins wide, this coach they are 6ft 5/8ins wide. This is so it is the same length as the first class coach, 43 ft 5 ins. Do I just take out one compartment from a Kirk coach side and have a model that is 5 mm too long or do I try and reduce each compartment by less than a millimeter? Steel sided coaches are quite easy to cut and shut, Milliput can come to the rescue if not perfect. But to reduce a Gresley coach where the cut goes through both paneling and beading a (twelve) poor joint(s) will be hell to sort out. Can I live with a 5mm too long coach or do I bite the bullet and reduce the compartments?

It's true... 

I grabbed a photo on my way past on Saturday

attachicon.gifmaybemortimore.jpg

That hooter is far to small for a Mortimore snozzle. Most people have a nose on the front of their face. My family are known for having a face behind the nose.

Go will a 5 mm longer coach. It will look better than lots of cuts and on a coach length who can tell. If it is a spurious coach set also , who would know. On stoke we had a bg running on bogies which were the wrong length, in 70 show appearances no one mentioned, nor does, as it trundles round little bytham. And 2mm on a bogie is far more noticeable than 5mm on a coach.

Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 2