Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Counting to 8 using DMUs.

100_5799a.jpg.a5c3da0f3351693258db9ddc031fae89.jpg

100_5800a.jpg.b697c2c41f1209bc01f2caa2b6e7b53b.jpg

Or in multiples of two if counting bogies, or multiples of four for axles, or multiples of eight if you are counting wheels. 

It falls down after that as doors, windows and roof vents are not the same per carriage. 

Richard 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, richard i said:

Or in multiples of two if counting bogies, or multiples of four for axles, or multiples of eight if you are counting wheels. 

It falls down after that as doors, windows and roof vents are not the same per carriage. 

Richard 

Hi Richard, 

Did your lovely science teacher wife help you with this mathematical solution?   

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ian said:

I wonder which part of the armed services contains the 'ROYAL NAVEL DIVISION'?

Hi Ian 

I see where you are coming from but during WW1 are armed forces were so short of cannon fodder infantry that a division was formed from navy personnel.  

28 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ian 

I see where you are coming from but during WW1 are armed forces were so short of cannon fodder infantry that a division was formed from navy personnel.  

If I recall my South African history correctly a similar thing happened in the Boer War, this being the origin of the naval gun run I believe.

Tim T

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

If I recall my South African history correctly a similar thing happened in the Boer War, this being the origin of the naval gun run I believe.

Tim T

The Army was short of modern artillery until the Royal Navy took some guns of their ships and mounted them on field carriages. The guns in the gun run were naval guns that were designed to be used on land by landing parties, they too were used against the Boers. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ian 

I believe one of my grandfathers may possibly have served in it. Formed by Winston Churchill in the autumn of 1914 from Royal Marines not immediately needed by the Navy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wot about a 9-car in the middle road?

That would mean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 6, 7 and 8. Now that would be wrong. :stop:  And it would have one coach pass the trap point, and that would be wrong. :nono:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

That would mean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 6, 7 and 8. Now that would be wrong. :stop:  And it would have one coach pass the trap point, and that would be wrong. :nono:

Eight is infinity and nine is the answer.

19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No, but then I am only a thick DC modeller. 

I don't know the reason either, but then I haven't even got a layout at the moment. If I did have it would be DC though.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a nice uneventful operating session this afternoon, must do some more modelling  not just running. Tonight has been a bit of an old goth song visit only to find it is the last biscuit in the box. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I didn't realise there was thick and thin DC, is it to do with the cables and is it the same for DCC?

Mike.

I think it depends on whether you have a fat or thin controller.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I didn't realise there was thick and thin DC, is it to do with the cables and is it the same for DCC?

Mike.

2 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

I think it depends on whether you have a fat or thin controller.

All of the above.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are these in a correct livery for 1960s layout? https://www.hattons.co.uk/463658/hornby_r6934_lwb_box_van_coca_cola_/stockdetail.aspx

And how many do I need for a realistic train? :tomato:

Sadly by the 1960s Coke was delivered by road, more recently it has gone over to a new 'county lines' distribution strategy using bikes.

• Funny 6