TINGS This weekend ready to roll

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to all exhibitors, traders and organisers for a great day.  I had intened to pop in to the Ricoh arena for the RM Web Live show too, but there was too much to see at TINGS so I didn't make it.

I arrived at just before midday and the car park was the fullest I had ever seen it.  Inside, traders told me it was the busiest they'd known it too, and sometimes the crush did make it a little bit hard to move.

A welcome sight near the entrance in the Dapol display cabinet was the long-awaited TGS.  This just needs manufacturing and painting and according to Dapol they're hoping to get these here by Xmas.

post-420-0-86535500-1410635649_thumb.jpg

Dapol also had painted samples of their JNA Falcon and IOA Mussell engineers' wagons on show.  Very promising.  Apparently the printing needs to be finer (though it looked OK to my straining middle-aged naked eye) but once that's sorted they'll be put into production.

post-420-0-72073500-1410635691_thumb.jpg

The underframes were particularly good, and a clear improvement on the first sample shown at TINGS last year.

post-420-0-95367600-1410635693_thumb.jpg

Dapol had hoped to have factory painted Maunsells to show, but unfortunately they didn't arrive in time.

On the Mercig stand, apart from some stunning repaints, were some 3D prints produced for DJM to test the CAD drawings of his upcoming Clayton and Baby Deltic locos.  The colour of the prints made them quite hard to photograph, but to the eye they are very fine and look promising.

post-420-0-87042400-1410635681_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-99598800-1410635684_thumb.jpg

The battery boxes for both locomotive types have holes pre cut for sound.

post-420-0-33025000-1410635687_thumb.jpg

I haven't added photos from the Bachmann stand because someone has already posted better ones, but while not my era (so I have only a cursory knowledge of the prototype) I thought the Hawksworth coaches looked stunning, and seem to feature really close close-coupling!

My favourite layout was probably Walsall Cement by Phil Smith, very atmospheric rendition of the Black Country, one of my favourite parts of the world, but there were numerous other very fine layouts including this one - I think it was called the North of England line, but I could be wronng... Steam, so not my usual thing, but superb scenery:

post-420-0-67954300-1410635696_thumb.jpg

I was able to answer quite a few questions about the N Gauge pendolino on the DEMU stand and wandering around, and meet plenty of people too.  Which was nice!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Some further reflections on TINGS.....

Though I am not aware of the organisers making much of it, I think this is the tenth anniversary of TINGS, though originally I think it was intended to be a biennial event.

I arrived at just before midday and the car park - a huge field - was virtually full.  Inside, the show was busier than I have ever seen it, and unless I am mistaken the organisers have extended the floorspace a little on the left side.  My only real criticism is as an exhibitor:  Last year when we attended with our club layout Horseley Fields we found the organisers to be very "cost conscious" - for example not providing meals - and I think this policy may turn round to bite them if some high quality "in-demand" layouts decide against accepting invitations.

These seem to be fairly buoyant times for N though; although the stream of new models has slowed a little - probably sensibly - Farish are now reporting that N sales are around 30% of OO which is certainly up on the 20-25% being talked about until relatively recently.  Of course, I don't know if this is entirely down to growth in N or reflects a drop off in OO which has altered the proportions...

Although it may be counter intuitive, I am quite pleased at the slow-down in the appearance of new models; it does mean that new items individually receive more attention and creates more of an event when something is revealed.  Certainly Dapol's TGS and engineers' wagons, and the Farish Hawksworth coaches, were well worth spending time to admire...

cheers

Ben A.

Managed to Visit Tings yesterday for the first time,

Got to meet new people and  some of the faces of here thoroughly enjoyable time!

Also got a few items I wanted and well time to actually see if I can model now!

All very nice interesting and extremely well detailed layouts, sadly though I haven't won the lottery yet so the spending had to be watched!

But as Arnie says "I'll be back!"

• RMweb Gold

On our way home from TINGS. My other half is driving so don't worry, I am not holding the steering wheel and iPad at the same time!!

This is my third visit to the show, second time with a layout and yes it did seem busier than before. I do know people who won't exhibit here because of the lunches situation but we generally grab something to eat from a supermarket on our way in.

It's a generally well organised show and this year we had plenty of space behind the layout which does make a big difference both setting up dismantling and for carrying out repairs to rolling stock.

There we're a good selection of layouts and excellent trade in my opinion.

Look forward to attending again in a future year but it will be a few years before I have a new N scale layout to take!!!

Hi all,

The show did seem busier than before but interestingly the hall did not feel as crammed in as some exhibitions.

I almost had chance to have a look round but my 5 year old had other ideas, though he did sit and watch (well I held him) for 10mins watching Law Junction which is fabulous in its simplicity and he liked the modular continental layout that was at waist height -perfect eye height for him.

Hopefully might be able to see Banbury and Horsley Fields in a future exhibition

Matt

My third or fourth time at tings yesterday. It was busy and warm inside. Yes the floor had been extended on the left. this made a big difference to the overall ability to walk round with the exception of a couple of pinch points.

Anoraks anonymous had second hand blue ribbon mk1s for 12.50each. Generally they had a massive stall and stock was moving fast. If you are looking for good bargains try them at Peterborough or warley but get in early. I happily snapped up a flieschman engine for £40 which just needed clean.

Being a steam based I'm pleased that yet again a modern image layout was my favourite simply because of its track layout. Sadly I forget it's name but it's the one based around a triangle of track, very simple but exceptionally clever.

North of England line, dent valley and Brixham all exceptional scenics. However I love shunting which is not easy in n or at exhibitions.

Sadly no pictures as my phone is adverse to working as a camera.

I counted 15 rows four deep of noisy or wobbly Dapol praires being sold off, which is not promising. They also had silver link for £95 plus nthusiats membership. Very tempting to buy in and cash in on ebay for three times that! Grange ep looked good (despite missing a buffer and a cab hand rail being broken) as did the NE black b17

Interesting was farish returned stock which included some very very old Poole models. Sadly no stanier 8f that I found. Hawksworth coaches looked stunning I don't need more coaches (apart from another ru).

Feedback to the venue you need to crack refreshments as there simply was not enough, perhaps a van outside on the grass area.

Back from an enjoyable day at TINGS. Great selection of layouts and a good range of trade stands (discounting the shop stands). I always visit on a Sunday as it is a much calmer day. The little extension of area that was by the entrance made the hall seem less cluttered and there were large circulating and seating areas (although the one large empty area by the entrance can be explained by the absence of the advertised Model Rail stand - main show sponsor and they don't show up, but I think we know where they were, anyway...).

Managed to batter the wallet firmly into submission and came away with a few bargains, including a Dapol Club set of Class 22 and milk wagons...

• RMweb Gold

My only real criticism is as an exhibitor:  Last year when we attended with our club layout Horseley Fields we found the organisers to be very "cost conscious" - for example not providing meals - and I think this policy may turn round to bite them if some high quality "in-demand" layouts decide against accepting invitations.

Ben A.

Fully agree Ben. I have been tentatively approached on more than one occasion about representing the 2mm Association at the show but have been put off by the penny pinching nature of the organisers regarding expenses and lunch. It is worth reminding people that TINGS is not organised by and for the benefit of the N Gauge Society or a local club but a profit making commercial organisation. Nothing wrong with that until said organisation expects me to give up my weekend, at my expense for their profit. I don't think so.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I left last years show thinking I probably won't do TINGS again. It is by far the worst venue of any of the shows I regularly attend. Always hot and crowded with poor facilities, it makes what should be an enjoyable show an unpleasant experience, for me at least anyway.

If they have found a little more space then great, but after 2013's show I really felt the event had outgrown the venue, which is good for N Gauge generally if nothing else!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

I left last years show thinking I probably won't do TINGS again. It is by far the worst venue of any of the shows I regularly attend. Always hot and crowded with poor facilities, it makes what should be an enjoyable show an unpleasant experience, for me at least anyway.

If they have found a little more space then great, but after 2013's show I really felt the event had outgrown the venue, which is good for N Gauge generally if nothing else!

Tom. 

We have been exhibiting in far worse venuse than  TINGS.

Although where we were located the floor sloped a bit more than we could deal with to get level but the organisers did offer us more packing. However, we managed as we could jsut add another loco to the train!!

Regarding the heat, we always take clip on fans and when space permits a floor standing fan whihc we had at the weekend.

The venue also opened more of the roller shutters to help cool the place down although up by the main entrance was quite a bit hotter.

The loading on the Sunday after the show seemed to be raising the blood pressures of some but again we have been in far worse venues for this. However, we loaded out in the public car park, wheeling the layout etc on trolleys did give us a bit more exercise which we all need anyway especially after a beery night on Saturday!!

Our accomodation provided by the organisers was also very good, this time in Warwick.

Ian

"My only real criticism is as an exhibitor:  Last year when we attended with our club layout Horseley Fields we found the organisers to be very "cost conscious" - for example not providing meals - and I think this policy may turn round to bite them if some high quality "in-demand" layouts decide against accepting invitations.

cheers

Ben A."

You've hit the nail on the head there Ben and whispered the unspeakable..

We know that all shows should be cost conscious as its not theirs but the paying guests money their playing with.. however..

Despite the assistance of one or two modeller/stewards whom i know not - if they are paid or not?,... TINGS is a business proper staged solely for profit, it does nothing for modelling save existing, being at the very bottom of my league table below the model mags and heritage railway shows and even charity gigs..

They are known for crimping costs to underneath the bare minimum and using the good will of the exhibitors to fund there business.

I'm not purporting that they are of the quality you suggest in the above comments Ben... but they won't be seeing a layout from me again until they get their act together re what they provide exhibitors..i.e. proper insurance, nearby overnight accommodation including breakfast, justifiable travel costs for the layout and team, tea and coffee en-tap and a basic lunch... not the world.. just sufficient to not make me think i'm not having the piss taken out of me or my team for profit..

I've said it enough times in private and now am saying it here...pending an agreeable date that does not upset the existing exhibition calendar could be found... if the NGS steps up and hosts/finances a proper show biannually if necessary... myself and Scale148 as a group will support it wholeheartedly with layouts, equipment, contacts and proven experienced assistance..and all not for profit!

Cheers Mark

Archived