LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

20 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Cant speak for Mick, but I used the smallest chain Ambis do (40 lpi?) for mine with their container shackle on the end.

To tighten them I use a fine copper loop to attach the chain to, which you can then bend over to pull the chain taut.  Once it's blackened it's all but invisible.

Little_Bytham_J69_containers_zpsxeiwyh60

Yes the same method used, the Ambis small shackle version etch and 40 links chain, I however used Roxey hooks from their similar etch as the copper wire I had was a pain to get through the tiny holes in the very fine Hooks on the Ambis etch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes, they're nice kits, aren't they? 

Did you make the same mistake as me and put the vertical handrails parallel to the bodywork, or put them sticking out at 45 degrees to the body? Photo shows a Caledonian brake, but the idea is the same. 

20191012_140440.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very interesting, Mick. Didn't know Oxford were doing the crane, thanks - I'll head over there to have a look.

I have one of the autocars on the go too, but I keep laying it to one side - there's something funny about the body-side windows.... as well as all the other issues you mention. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Very interesting, Mick. Didn't know Oxford were doing the crane, thanks - I'll head over there to have a look.

I have one of the autocars on the go too, but I keep laying it to one side - there's something funny about the body-side windows.... as well as all the other issues you mention. 

Re Autocar

Very funny ! one of the windows hasnt been etched through at the Drivers end of the sides !! you could'nt make it up !! It is No 4 from the left in the above side view !

I am waiting for some etched lamp irons to turn up the moment , once there are fixed on, it can be painted well the bottom area first !!

Edited by micklner

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, micklner said:

Re Autocar

Very funny ! one of the windows hasnt been etched through at the Drivers end of the sides !! you could'nt make it up !! It is No 4 from the left in the above side view !

I am waiting for some etched lamp irons to turn up the moment , once there are fixed on, it can be painted well the bottom area first !!

Thanks for pointing that out, Mick.

Whose lamp irons are you using? 

The clutter in your runner wagon is superb, by the way - best I've seen. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some finished work.

GN of S Cattle Wagon

fullsizeoutput_3125.jpeg.60cbca131f9dbcc95e6523c84f3ba6c6.jpeg

NBR Brake van

fullsizeoutput_312c.jpeg.9542e699f42cb1f96f68d1522d8a1cd4.jpeg

Thompson BG

fullsizeoutput_312a.jpeg.597d5a62c9998cf8b9a5095c1a47e55c.jpeg

Three D&S NER Clerestory Coaches , they await etched roofs to arrive , sadly after the lockdown ends.

fullsizeoutput_3121.jpeg.158b8fbc6abe00db1aa08bc0eb8f4c77.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, micklner said:

NER Clerestory Coaches , they await etched roofs to arrive , sadly after the lockdown ends.

fullsizeoutput_3121.jpeg.158b8fbc6abe00db1aa08bc0eb8f4c77.jpeg

Apologies if you've said already and I missed it, but where are you getting the etched roofs from.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Apologies if you've said already and I missed it, but where are you getting the etched roofs from.

Thanks.

Hopefully in due course Worsley Works.

I tried a s.a.e enclosed letter trying to buy the replacement parts to D&S and recieved no response.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Re the above D&S NER Coaches. They were bought via e bay as "Brass Coaches" and then identfied as NER Vehicles. THey look a bit better now !! They now sit on Isinglass Models printed Fox Bogies.

fullsizeoutput_3020.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3021.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3022.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3023.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3024.jpeg

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Jack P said:

That Thompson BG looks great, who/where is it from?

It is a Blacksmith kit , very old 1984 etches . All of the underframe including the bogies are MJT , the kit ones went in the bin or werent even provided.

• Thanks 1

It's always nice to see NER clerestories, they certainly look a lot better than when you got them! Will the roofs be glued on once they are done, or will they be made to be removable?

I know standard carriage building convention has the body and chassis separate for access, but does a clerestory dictate a slightly different approach?

I've got a D&S all third in my 'in progress' collection though it's currently stalled as I seem to be missing a couple of partitions, and keep putting off cutting out some more! I am tempted to add a couple more via Worsley, I've built a few of Alan's 009 scratch aid coaches, and they are nicely etched, though some thought is often needed to get things right. And they'd be lacking the wonderful array of castings that come with the D&S kits

Cheers

J

I normally glue Roofs on , on D&S kits you still have easy access from below that way. A decision will be made, once I recieve the etches from Worsley, as I have no idea how they are designed to be assembled., hopefully solder assemble, paint,glaze and glue on.

Re Castings,

Mike Trice after a request from me,  has kindly made available via Shapeways, the correct shaped Gas Lamps and Vents for the Roofs. I have a set they are excellent quality.

As mentioned earler mine have Isinglass printed  Fox Bogies fitted which has given good running on testing. Wizard & MJT do underframe castings parts as well.

• Thanks 1

D&S GCR Milk van ready for painting.

fullsizeoutput_3133.jpeg.db752e09f08965ede3544fbf8e0aa7a3.jpeg

I have looked at the Banks site

He has a built one at the bottom of this page.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/332-gcr-milk-vans

I have noticed on his, he has added card behind the louvres, this not mentioned on the D&S instructions and he hasnt given a reason for the blocking.

I presume before I go any further wih my kit that the louvres would be open ? . It seem pointless to louvre the van and then block them off ?

Any comments appreciatted.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, micklner said:

D&S GCR Milk van ready for painting.

fullsizeoutput_3133.jpeg.db752e09f08965ede3544fbf8e0aa7a3.jpeg

I have looked at the Banks site

He has a built one at the bottom of this page.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/332-gcr-milk-vans

I have noticed on his, he has added card behind the louvres, this not mentioned on the D&S instructions and he hasnt given a reason for the blocking.

I presume before I go any further wih my kit that the louvres would be open ? . It seem pointless to louvre the van and then block them off ?

Any comments appreciatted.

Louvres - of their nature - are not see-through; they are sloped, and the top of one coincides with the louvre abouve it. Air can pass through, but most rain cannot.

As etched, louvres in the form of the D&S GCR milk van above are unrealistic - they look, (and are) like bars; blanking behind them increases the illusion that they are supposed to be sloping slats.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 25/04/2020 at 04:21, Taz said:

Worsley etches are designed to be built the Comet way, I.e separate floor and a body / roof box to screw to it.

So do you mean three parts floor / sides / roof 

or two parts floor and sides together / a roof which is separate?

just about to start on some worsley works etches and would like to get it right. 
many thanks

richard 

Other way up - it's a five sided box (sides, ends, roof) which then screws down onto the floor.   I make all my coaches that way, it leads you to the neatest and least visible joints.   If you've made a D&S carriage or NPC then you'll have the idea.

There's a download called 'Building Coaches the Comet Way' which I think you can still find on their website which explains it in more detail.

• Thanks 1