Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

Those are not windows - that's the crew area and buffet behind there. (CJL)

The photo posted by Trev52A seems to show a grey strip across all the windows (including doors), and writing on some of them.

The fact that both passenger doors are in a contrasting colour suggests to me that this isn't a first class/kitchen coach, and in any case the writing on the windows is at the end which is definitely passenger accommodation.

The next 800/3 diagrams which were due to start today, have been pushed back to next Monday due to late delivery of 800307. 800308 should be delivered later this week. 

Also due to late delivery, sadly July shall not be the point of more IET diagrams then HST. This shall now happen in late August (802 driver training delayed, with in service of July 16th missed).

Once started, they should be: 

05:28 Hereford Paddington 08:26

08:51 Paddington Oxford 09:51

11:01 Oxford Paddington 11:58

12:21 Paddington Worcester SH 14:33

15:22 Worcester Paddington 17:27

17:51 Paddington Worcester SH 20:05

20:59 Worcester Paddington 23:29

05:13 Paddington Moreton-in-Marsh 06:45

07:10 Moreton-in-Marsh Paddington 08:50

09:45 Paddington Swansea 12:40

13:29 Swansea Paddington 16:30

17:07 Paddington Frome 19:02

Observed at Oxford this morning, the 0513 Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh was a 9-car, 800306 IIRC. Sparkling clean with, not surprisingly for that time of day and direction, lots and lots of empty seats; Something of a contrast with the 4-car Voyager behind on my train to Manchester !

• RMweb Premium

This looks 800 related (from the National Rail web site):

TOC(s) affected Great Western Railway

More trains than usual are requiring repairs at the same time and this has resulted in Great Western Railway being critically short of trains for today's service. 

How does this affect my journey?

Trains running across the whole Great Western Railway network are subject to cancellation or being revised. Some trains will also be running with fewer coaches than normal.

This is mainly affecting services between London and Bristol / South Wales / Cheltenham / Worcester.

What's happened? 

A number of trains yesterday developed faults which require attention from engineers before they can be released back into service. 

Engineering teams are working to repair as many trains as possible before this evenings' peak.

• RMweb Gold

More trains than usual are requiring repairs at the same time and this has resulted in Great Western Railway being critically short of trains for today's service.

Trains running across the whole Great Western Railway network are subject to cancellation or being revised. Some trains will also be running with fewer coaches than normal.

This is mainly affecting services between London and Bristol / South Wales / Cheltenham / Worcester.

What's happened?

A number of trains yesterday developed faults which require attention from engineers before they can be released back into service.

Engineering teams are working to repair as many trains as possible before this evenings' peak.

Are they have air con problems, or engine overheating, given the current weather conditions?

• RMweb Premium

Are they have air con problems, or engine overheating, given the current weather conditions?

Yesterday afternoon on a 2x5 car IET I thought I overheard a staff member say that one of the "power cars" had failed. (Which would be 1 out of 6, presumably, rather than 1 out of 2 as on an HST). 

We didn't seem to make much speed until on electric power, but that was mostly on the diversion round the Severn Tunnel and I don't know what the line limits are. We didn't seem to lose much time after Cardiff (which was a bit of a bottleneck as two platforms were out of use for electrification preparations).

• RMweb Premium

It was probably on holiday.

Geoff Endacott

It was probably on holiday.

Geoff Endacott

Possibly so mate. I can think of sidings with better views for a holiday though. Long rock immediately comes to mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having noticed the occasional 9-car IET on the Western recently, I see that they are running using the leading pantograph, which makes an interesting contrast with the WCML Pendolino sets, where it is always the trailing pantograph that is used. I understood the logic for that was that if there was a dewirement or other damage to the pantograph, at least the leading one, by virtue of being lowered and ahead of the damage, could remain usable.

Jim

I don't think I've seen a 9-car IET running, but I noticed a 2x5 running yesterday with a pantograph up at the front of the front unit and back of the back unit, presumably to maximise the distance between them.

• RMweb Premium

More trains than usual are requiring repairs at the same time and this has resulted in Great Western Railway being critically short of trains for today's service. 

Trains running across the whole Great Western Railway network are subject to cancellation or being revised. Some trains will also be running with fewer coaches than normal.

What's happened? 

A number of trains yesterday developed faults which require attention from engineers before they can be released back into service. 

To follow this up, I saw a 5 coach 800 in Newport this afternoon. Given that due to the Severn Tunnel closure they are already running one train an hour from Paddington to Wales rather than the usual 2, this is a bit unfortunate.

To follow this up, I saw a 5 coach 800 in Newport this afternoon. Given that due to the Severn Tunnel closure they are already running one train an hour from Paddington to Wales rather than the usual 2, this is a bit unfortunate.

That said, I caught the 17:30 from Swansea to Reading last week and despite only being a 5-car set, I think the majority of seats were empty for most of the journey.

I don't think I've seen a 9-car IET running, but I noticed a 2x5 running yesterday with a pantograph up at the front of the front unit and back of the back unit, presumably to maximise the distance between them.

Correct, there are speed restrictions which apply to any other configuration of pans raised.

The IETs excelled themselves yesterday (Tuesday) with 50% of the fleet withdrawn due to heat/pollen/summer related issues, you know those same issues we have known about practically since somebody stuck an engine underneath the chassis on a train.

Really glad I am off this week.

• RMweb Gold

Correct, there are speed restrictions which apply to any other configuration of pans raised.

The IETs excelled themselves yesterday (Tuesday) with 50% of the fleet withdrawn due to heat/pollen/summer related issues, you know those same issues we have known about practically since somebody stuck an engine underneath the chassis on a train.

Really glad I am off this week.

Pollen? That's a new one on me! Is it messing with the air con?

Edited by rodent279