Class 800 - Updates

• RMweb Premium

800103 on diesel power on 5X21 today. Sounded quite 'feeble' (or maybe it is just well baffled/muffled) but was not particularly late.

Don't think any others were out on the ECML today but i could be wrong.

P

Could someone confirm that the Wikipedia info on the 800, 801 and 802 groups is not that accurate regarding numbering and 'ownership' or is it me being confused?

Thanks

Phil

Hows this:

post-22366-0-06658100-1526325207_thumb.png

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Premium

Currently on the way from Reading to Cardiff on an 800.

The units are incorrectly marshalled - first class at the front of the front unit, rear of the rear one.

The reservation system isn't operating in the front unit (don't know about the rear). No paper labels either, but there's been a lot of disruption today (no announcements about a lack of reservations though).

There was an announcement after Swindon (but I think not Reading) to say that there was a trolley on board, which duly came through. There was no indication of whether we'll see it again, or an announcement after leaving Bristol Parkway.

We did get a nice automated announcement telling us that we were approaching Newport, should take all our belongings with us and mind the gap, and then new passengers were welcomed aboard and told the next stops....all before reaching the Severn Tunnel. There was then a manual announcement telling us to ignore the previous one.

I can see how the TMS might get confused as to where the train is, but to go from the "we are arriving at" to the "welcome aboard" bits without the train stopping or doors being released suggests some interesting programming.

There was no sound of diesels as the train pulled into Reading, so I must have been on the train when it transferred to diesel power but I wasn't aware of it. 

When pulling out of Swindon and Bristol Parkway I (thought) I could hear the diesels as well as the traction motors. Even then I'm not sure I would have noticed this was a diesel train if I didn't know (though it's very obvious at stations from the outside). At a higher speed (including presumably during the change-over) other sounds seem to drown out both. (I am in a coach with engines not a driving coach - these actually seem to be louder).

I still find the 800s very pleasant to travel in and a much more pleasant environment than the GWR Mk3s in their current guise.

• Like 1

I can see how the TMS might get confused as to where the train is, but to go from the "we are arriving at" to the "welcome aboard" bits without the train stopping or doors being released suggests some interesting programming.

Yes, there is some interesting programming, but from what I can gather (which, admittedly is some weeks out of day), there are known faults and fixes are being applied.

Simon

We're almost at the stage of 50:50 HSTs and IETs on the GWML.

Here, in pouring rain last Saturday, the 1C23 1700 Padd - Bristol TM passes Heathrow Airport Jn. formed of 800005 + 800028.

post-6880-0-38924400-1526418311.jpg

​Thanks to "oddjob", on another forum, for supplying me with the unit details.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

800103 has been running through Retford with front panto in use one day and rear panto in use another day. I've also seen it on Diesel (I think).

Two full EMT 125 sets running on ECML services yesterday.  Also a VTEC set with EMT Powere Cars on one service.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

There's an 801 set at North Pole, I have not been able to identify which one, yet.

If it's all white then it is most likely 103 as that has been the only one working down in the afternoon here this week as far as I know.

Phink

One of my work colleagues has complained that on several occasions recently the first off-peak service from Chippenham towards Paddington has been short-formed with 5 coaches rather than 10. Is anyone aware of any reason why this might be the case?

• RMweb Premium

One of my work colleagues has complained that on several occasions recently the first off-peak service from Chippenham towards Paddington has been short-formed with 5 coaches rather than 10. Is anyone aware of any reason why this might be the case?

Was it a 2x 5car formation with the rear 5 locked out? If so this would be due to the unavailability of an appropriate member of staff.

If it was just a single 5 car unit then this would be down to unavailability of the second unit for whatever reason that may be. The decision may have been taken to directly shortform that train from the depot or potentially that service may have been shortformed to cover a single 5 car diagram elsewhere to avoid a cancellation.

Hope that makes sense!

Hi,

Of course, one of the reasons for short formed units may be that due to the staggered introduction of units, the maintenance periods for two units in a pair could be staggered, meaning short formed units. This might be a problem until the full fleet is available and can cover such incidents.

I don't know the exact reason for short formed units, but the above seems logical to me.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

The 800s have mostly disappeared from thew ECML south of Donny since last week. I CBA to check if they are working elsewhere, e.g. north of Donny.

Today nothing mucvh was/ is(?) moving between Donny and Newark due to signal problems. Bustitution in operation. Good job I went 'spotting' at 36E yesterday.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

I like the caption about the Balise's being an aid to stopping trains in the correct position, they really aren't, although I'm unsure as to whether they are APCO or ASDO Balise's

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

They have been doing the same on some of the peak time ones as well, last Tuesday the 6.25 ex Chipp was 1 x 5 car with predictable overcrowding from Didcot...

One of my work colleagues has complained that on several occasions recently the first off-peak service from Chippenham towards Paddington has been short-formed with 5 coaches rather than 10........

.....If it was just a single 5 car unit then this would be down to unavailability of the second unit for whatever reason that may be. The decision may have been taken to directly shortform that train from the depot or potentially that service may have been shortformed to cover a single 5 car diagram elsewhere to avoid a cancellation.....

.....one of the reasons for short formed units may be that due to the staggered introduction of units, the maintenance periods for two units in a pair could be staggered, meaning short formed units. ....

Bearing in mind the contractual set-up for the supply of the IET's under the IEP, how does this work?

Agility are contracted to supply XXX units per day to cover YYY diagrams .

If it's Agility who are not able to provide the units, as per contract, I would assume that GWR are covered by penalty clauses.

Unless there is an allowance built-in to cover the fleet introductory period.

If GWR are responsible for reducing the number of trains in operation, I guess it's on their own heads?

• RMweb Premium

A quick look at GWR JourneyCheck at lunch-time produced a long list of 48 Train Formation Updates, but none appeared to involve class 800s. 

O/T just had another look now and note various services altered...

This is due to forecasted severe weather.

05.56 from Chippenham today is 5 car again, if they are short of units then there must be some consideration given tobl reverting a diagram back to HST so peak services can run as 10 cars. This train will be rammed from Didcot..