Railtec Transfers

Metr0Land

A couple of items:

1. As usual, there has been an extremely high volume of new releases since the last post, but I'll not list all of them here. I've included some highlights below.

47727-3-1.jpg

Includes 3d nameplates, 3d builders plates, 3d shed codes (incl 64B Haymarket if they are ever applied), 3d kick plates as well as the usual conventional 2d bits.

7mm_37209-1-1.jpg

A series of packs for OHLM electrification vehicles in both 2mm and 4mm

2941-1.jpg

7mm_8052-1.jpg

7mm_8031-1.jpg

2440-1.jpg

73961-1-1.jpg

2mm_8254-1.jpg

37608-3-1.jpg

3396-1.jpg

2. This is aimed to help me help you, and as it's something I'm having to communicate with an increased frequency, this doesn't seem like an unreasonable place to mention it in the hope that it can pre-empt some avoidable situations.

Web site orders
Despite a continued steady increase, these still get dispatched same day, unless indicated otherwise on the product page (for example a pack which may require some info from you, such as what running number you would like). No change here.

Emails, IMs, social media tags, etc

I continue to receive more emails, instant messages and tags than Donald Trump. I love that there is such enthusiasm around the product, but it does mean that it's simply a physical impossibility to respond to everything as quickly as we'd all like despite working hours that even junior doctors wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Those of you who have seen the Railtec stand on a Saturday afternoon at Warley might get an inkling into some of the challenges faced. Please do remember to check your Junk folders though, as many email providers (Sky, BT, TalkTalk etc) seem to filter emails from my (US based) web host provider into there. At some point when I get a spare day (cough) I intend to migrate the site to a UK provider which should also increase speed. If you haven't yet received a response - I apologise. I have one pair of hands but I will get to it eventually.

"Why don't you take somebody on?"

A common question. If anybody happens to know a (very good) graphic designer with an intimate knowledge of railway insignia from 1890s to the present day, and is happy to work 80-85hrs a week then let me know. A working knowledge of commercial printing processes and a sense of humour would also be beneficial :).  I could take on a standard graphic designer (costs regrettably being passed on to customers, naturally), though the thought of my phone ringing every 14 seconds with a question like, "Steve.. what's a class 37?" will only inspire me to reach for the valium and/or a rifle.

Requests for new work

These pile in by the bucket load, and I help where I can - even if it's something that I may only ever sell 2 of. But please remember:

- Just because somebody may ask somebody to create something, it doesn't place the other person under an automatic obligation to do it.

- If I agree to create a new product, it often requires a lengthy process even if the job may appear straight-forward. Researching/finding decent photos, measuring, designing vector artwork, colour matching, proof printing, testing and final print all take time. Lots of it. Consequently it's often impractical to commit to time scales, not least because an obstacle may be encountered which sets everything back (or even make the project unviable). It's for this reason that I take no cash up front for new design work or give any specifics around any anticipated completion dates. That seems the fairest way to be. If a point is reached where a project absolutely could not wait and product has been sourced elsewhere - that's absolutely fine and I do genuinely understand. I do what I can.

- If you're asked for artwork, this will not be the same as a JPG photograph. Vector artwork will typically be an EPS, SVG or perhaps PDF file, and makes the likelihood of your project seeing the light of day that much higher. Similarly if measurements are requested, a photograph probably won't hit the mark, nor will a photo of a ruler next to a model. Such is the continued mammoth influx of design requests that if somebody can make the job easier, then it stands a higher chance of a positive response. The only alternative is to decline a high proportion of requests, which would be regrettable.

- The very nature of providing such a niche product and service means that priorities often have to evolve on a daily basis. It is not unheard of for high profile jobs to come in at extremely short notice from TOCs, government organisations (many of whom are kind enough to grant me licences to reproduce trademarks so that we can all benefit), magazines, societies and manufacturers. Also when new liveries emerge (c.f. Biffa / large logo 66s) - these need to take priority to satisfy such spikes in demand which, for a small business, can be critical. Sometimes even real life can get in the way. Thankfully most modellers understand this and avoid the sentiment that they are entitled to a niche product being created for them within their expected timeframe. Against this backdrop I should also mention that no individual receives preferential treatment, as is a remark that gets made from time to time.

Managing expectations

There are an increasing number of instances where some individuals have enthusiastically pre-sold or promised finished models which incorporate designs that I have not yet made, and in some cases not even agreed to make. Thankfully they are few in number but I cannot be held responsible for expectations which are set on my behalf without my knowledge, collaboration or consent. I don't think this is an unresaonable viewpoint so please help me help you (and your customers where applicable).

It's encouraging to see that the product gets used so extensively, and as ever I'm continuing to dedicate every spare moment to new design and new concepts so that you have more choice and the boundaries of our hobby keep on getting pushed. Love seeing the images of finished products being shared - makes it all the more worthwhile as those who know something of me will know that I don't even have time to have a layout of my own, so I have to live through others on that front!

• Like 6

Railtec Sheerness steel transfers on a Paul Rolley  O gauge resin  cast JXA

post-19557-0-95189500-1532018475_thumb.jpg

Railtec Sheerness steel transfers on my handbuilt oo gauge JXA

post-19557-0-09331800-1532018993_thumb.jpg

Railtec VTG  transfers on  a Paul Rolley O gauge resin cast JXA , weathering by myself

post-19557-0-31989300-1532018782_thumb.jpg

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone aware of why the "EWS gold/maroon 3 beasties logos" seem to have been out of stock for weeks?  I'm after a couple of packs of the normal-sized bodyside logos in 4mm scale (Product code: 4mm-2421) to add to a couple of Hornby Class 60s.  I was waiting for these coming back into stock before ordering a few other packs.

Probably because he does this in his spare time and his customer base has grown massively in the last few months meaning he is strapped for time.

Have you ordered any or contacted him to enquire, it could be he is only printing batches of decals as they are ordered.

Railtec is actually more than a full-time job. I don't recall the last time the working week was less than around 80hrs, and it's been that way for literally years. In the run-up to shows that usually extends to ~100hrs a week. It's crazy. It's true that the customer base continues to grow at a surprising rate even after all this time, but the investment in new technology means that it's at least scalable to keep up with the demand for most of the existing stock items. Where it starts to get sticky is trying to keep up with the relentless requests for one-off work as well as items that would, eventually, find their way into the catalog anyway.

In specific response to the 3 beasties, these - like many of the sub-sector items, have been out of stock for some time pending an enhancement to the print process being made specifically for those items. Truth is, 99% of folks would be happy with them as they are, but I'm in the process of identifying a method which will improve them further. The kicker is that this requires some time setting aside, and that is always in short supply due to numerous reasons listed somewhere above that I won't bore people with again here.

Similarly if a handful of items are out of stock for some time then there's usually a good reason. The most common reasons being that the artwork is being ported from the old tech to the newer spot-printed tech, the print is being refined, the pack is being enhanced to include more items, or new research has revealed more info and more detail is being added to the pack. Any one of those can take much longer than people might think. (Think about how many graphic designers you know who also have a deeply intimate knowledge of railway insignia!)

All stock items are generally not printed to order, but just replenished when they get low in stock. Items which are made to order are usually quite obvious on the site, as there will be bold red text on the product page to indicate that they are.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This new scheme from the growing DC Rail Freight may still be news to some, but here are packs in both 2mm and 4mm to kick us off. Spares of everything included. These are of course spot printed so there's no superfluous unsightly carrier film to worry about.

http://www.railtec-transfers.com/

2144-1.jpg

Numerous other new releases, some of which are below.

2336-1.jpg

2337-1.jpg

2072-1.jpg

2075-1.jpg

7mm_1287-1.jpg

1086-1.jpg

3397-1.jpg

5062-1.jpg

2mm_1291-1.jpg

2mm_1033-1.jpg

• Like 2

OK got it  - but on 2 different sheets - that's not an issue............

It's part of the ethos to offer one complete loco per pack (which works well in 4mm and above) as opposed to offer it as part of a much larger pack which may otherwise go to waste. This way, packs can remain small, specific, relevant and offer value for money.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After requesting a set of standard large logo livery transfers for 47456, Steve emailed to say he could replicate the oversize '6' of the prototype.

I had to re-look at my pics of the loco, as I hadn't even noticed the '6' was different !!

Many thanks to Steve for replicating such a subtle detail, that could easily have gone un-noticed. (especially by me!!)

Pic of prototype to show detail, and a couple of the model, including a cruel close-up of Steve's excellent work.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-09241800-1537605188_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-86825500-1537605204_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-61094900-1537605211_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A number of folks have asked about it, although not all may have seen it, but packs in both 2mm and 4mm (as well as other scales on request) are available for the eye-catching 66780 in Cemex livery.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=66780

Of course these are spot printed so there's no superfluous unsightly carrier film to worry about, spares of absolutely everything are included, and all stock items get dispatched pretty much same-day in hard-backed packaging to protect the contents.

66780-1-1.jpg

• Like 3

Some of you may have seen it by now but knowing how eager some beavers are, packs for GBRf's 60095 have been available at Railtec for the past couple of days. Of course these are spot printed for you so there's no superfluous unsightly carrier film, full solid colours with no join lines in the print, and at fantastic value.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=GBRf+60

60095-3-1.jpg

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2

Some of you may have seen it by now but knowing how eager some beavers are, packs for GBRf's 60095 have been available at Railtec for the past couple of days. Of course these are spot printed for you so there's no superfluous unsightly carrier film, full solid colours with no join lines in the print, and at fantastic value.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=GBRf+60

60095-3-1.jpg

wow thats quick steve haven't seen a photo of it yet .

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning.

I have looked through your website, I can obtain most of what I need, but I have a question, you RTC sets are quite comprehensive, but I cannot find any for 'Cylops'. Will these be in the future at all? once I am completely unpacked from my house move I intend to finish some long drawn out projects and Cyclops is one.

I would need this side branding too if possible. (picture copyright Paul Bartlett)

post-6736-0-18359500-1540176566.jpg

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Dan