Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann are in the Thanet train pack...........

Another run for the old warhorses.Who knows what shade they'll turn out this time.Just noticed this one.....a dubious combination of locomotive and coaches.Out of interest,did the mogul get a repaint in malachite ? I thought that postwar versions remained in black.Any ideas?

Another run for the old warhorses.Who knows what shade they'll turn out this time.Just noticed this one.....a dubious combination of locomotive and coaches.Out of interest,did the mogul get a repaint in malachite ? I thought that postwar versions remained in black.Any ideas?

Two N Class 2-6-0s got lined malachite post war: 1817 and 1854.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Did they not pull Maunsell coaches then?

Early photos show a strong Bulleid presence alongside Maunsell stock. A new version of them is long overdue.The question is....which Bulleid stock ? That's a proverbial minefield.

Thinking on,there is of course Pullman stock to run with them....the Devon Belle ran from 1947 c/w observation car.Now there's a cracking train to model with your malachite sunshine versions.

• Like 3

No-one is making any Bulleid coaches in Southern malachite green livery to go with the Southern Merchant Navy Pacifics so without matching coaches the Southern Pacifics do not appeal to me.

Early photos show a strong Bulleid presence alongside Maunsell stock. A new version of them is long overdue.

Hornby's decision to produce a set of Maunsell coaching stock in Malachite was good 'joined up thinking' relative to the Merchant Navy releases in Malachite.

The set of four re-releases in Malachite is scheduled for September. R4734, R4735, R4736, R4737 which is right around the corner.

Certainly it would be nice to see new Bullied coaches one day too, presuming Hornby survives that long. I was only planning to get one of these. Seeing both Channel Packet and Royal Mail I am tempted.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's decision to produce a set of Maunsell coaching stock in Malachite was good 'joined up thinking' relative to the Merchant Navy releases in Malachite.

The set of four re-releases in Malachite is scheduled for September. R4734, R4735, R4736, R4737 which is right around the corner.

Certainly it would be nice to see new Bullied coaches one day too, presuming Hornby survives that long. I was only planning to get one of these. Seeing both Channel Packet and Royal Mail I am tempted.

Royal Mail is of course embedded in my DNA and an essential purchase,having been as it were 'up close and personal' 58 years ago this month
  • Like 2

Now if they could just tell us if they are high or low window....

I hate to complain - but I'm going to ANYWAY :jester:  :onthequiet:

So, "Channel Packet" and "Royal Mail", two NEW and excellent choices but ONLY in the Southern livery.

Don't Hornby realize there was more than ONE MN class loco in BR livery (sarcasm mode)?

I'd love the AIR SMOOTHED MN in BR livery, but I already HAVE "Clan Line". Maybe they have an extra supply of "2" and "8" for some reason - c'mon folks, can't anyone be the LEAST bit creative and produce another number <yawn>

So far they've released it as a loco in EIGHT model years and in a set in FIVE model years as best I can tell. Maybe BR had more than ONE 35028 running (more sarcasm)  :O

I KNOW I can renumber the bloody thing, which is what I'll have to do, but can't we, FOR ONCE, see different member of the class than this, they managed it for the Southern ones...

In part, I can sympathise and agree, but 35028 was the last one to be rebuilt, so has the latest time span in that condition, allowing it to run with BR(S) green coaches (or BR maroon ones, for that matter). I'm not sure if it wore the later crest on its tender - I can check my references but not right now.

35001 was also one of the last two or three to be rebuilt, but cannot legitimately be in BR green in the form Hornby is showing. 

It isn't all that difficult to remove the cabside numbers and the nameplates from Hornby locomotives, and while I don't want to do this with a brand spanking new model, I have done it before with a few of the rebuilt MNs from Hornby (I ended up with three Clan Lines at one stage, because of bargain offers I couldn't refuse!).

Legend: I thought there was a blue one in the offing, but maybe it got cancelled or postponed. I would love a BR blue one myself, as I think that livery with white/black/white lining sat extremely well on the air-smoothed MNs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I hate to complain - but I'm going to ANYWAY :jester:  :onthequiet:

So, "Channel Packet" and "Royal Mail", two NEW and excellent choices but ONLY in the Southern livery.

Don't Hornby realize there was more than ONE MN class loco in BR livery (sarcasm mode)?

I'd love the AIR SMOOTHED MN in BR livery, but I already HAVE "Clan Line". Maybe they have an extra supply of "2" and "8" for some reason - c'mon folks, can't anyone be the LEAST bit creative and produce another number <yawn>

So far they've released it as a loco in EIGHT model years and in a set in FIVE model years as best I can tell. Maybe BR had more than ONE 35028 running (more sarcasm)  :O

I KNOW I can renumber the bloody thing, which is what I'll have to do, but can't we, FOR ONCE, see different member of the class than this, they managed it for the Southern ones...

I'm sure Hornby will make more than just the 4 listed so far.

Patience and it will come.

I suspect picking the unpopular numbers first is a way of selling two bites at the cherry, if they made the BR blue on and a different numbered green one in BR first... what would everyone buy next ?

Given the demand for the class, if they sell the 1st batch, I don't see why there wouldnt be more following.

Chances are then the 1st batch will reappear swelling round on ebay as the "must have it nows" relinquish their purchases when the starlight fades.

• RMweb Gold

I see I'm not alone in deciding that none of the initial releases are really for me. Running one of these at all requires an, admittedly shallow, dip into the murky waters of Rule 1 for me and the second-last to be rebuilt, 35006, would (for various reasons) be snapped up without hesitation whereas Clan Line, whilst tempting, isn't a 'must have'.  

I also fancy 35011 in 1957 condition with the cut-down tender as per the photo link in an earlier post.

In both cases, I'm perfectly willing to rename etc. but none of the first four look suitable for that either.

So long as there are no more pressing demands on my wallet when it comes out, I'll probably go for Clan Line and apply the late crest. If there are, I'll play "wait-and-see".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

These look terrific, the air smoothed merchant navy is one of the holy grail models of OO RTR (at least it is for me) and it does look like Hornby are going to do justice to these imposing machines. I'll be buying several of these for sure.

I do hope Hornby have the idea of doing Bulleid coaches, they were good looking coaches and the existing Bachmann models are very limited and would barely pass muster as a Railroad model today never mind as main range models.

In part, I can sympathise and agree, but 35028 was the last one to be rebuilt, so has the latest time span in that condition, allowing it to run with BR(S) green coaches (or BR maroon ones, for that matter). I'm not sure if it wore the later crest on its tender - I can check my references but not right now.

35028 did carry the late crest: http://www.clan-line.org.uk/application/files/9114/2203/3075/coaling_plant.jpg

...and so did 35011 (although with a C/D tender): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChnzY-_UUAEkXBH.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Noted from the computer renderings, Hornby have shrunk the diameter of the bogie wheels on 21C1, to accommodate the fairings in-front of the cylinder.

r3434-merchant-navy---side-rgb.jpg

r3435-merchant-navy-royal-mail---side-rg

Regards,

Matt

The set of four re-releases in Malachite is scheduled for September. R4734, R4735, R4736, R4737 which is right around the corner.

Hopefully these carriages will be in Malachite Green, unlike previous issues which were exactly the same green as the BR versions, but with "Southern" added.

The version in the Thanet set is 1854, previously Bachmann issued 1864, so presumably that was not accurate?

I think you'll find it's the loco box, (not Thanet set), that is printed wrong, what's in the box is numbered 1854, at least that's how mine is. The mistake then gets repeated in ebay listings, because that's what it says on the label, much the same as the Lord Nelson class #855 gets listed as "Robert Blake Maunsell", because that's what's on the box. A google search of "Bachmann n class 1864" will get you pics of the model actually numbered 1854.

I think you'll find it's the loco box, (not Thanet set), that is printed wrong, what's in the box is numbered 1854, at least that's how mine is. The mistake then gets repeated in ebay listings, because that's what it says on the label, much the same as the Lord Nelson class #855 gets listed as "Robert Blake Maunsell", because that's what's on the box. A google search of "Bachmann n class 1864" will get you pics of the model actually numbered 1854.

Do you mean the individual loco issued 5-10 years ago is actually 1854 although the box says 1864?

In which case the loco in the Thanet set, 1854, is an exact duplicate?

Surely Bachmann would have been better issuing 1817 his time, I don't think they have issued that before.

Is it too late to change - I will e-mail them to ask.

Gary

Edit - following e-mail sent to Bachmann "The N class locomotive in set 30-165 (Thanet set) in Malachite Green is numbered 1854. Bachmann previously issued this locomotive with the exact same livery and number. Could you consider changing the number of the locomotive in the Thanet set to 1817, which was the other locomotive to carry the Malachite green livery, to avoid duplication please? Thank you."

Edit - Reply posted in a new (Bachmann) topic.

Edited by PrestburyJack

Do you mean the individual loco issued 5-10 years ago is actually 1854 although the box says 1864?

In which case the loco in the Thanet set, 1854, is an exact duplicate?

Surely Bachmann would have been better issuing 1817 his time, I don't think they have issued that before.

Is it too late to change - I will e-mail them to ask.

Gary

I've got no evidence that Bachmann ever produced 1864 in malachite green, although I'm happy to be proved wrong. Any ebay listing of 1864 I've ever seen has had 1864 on the box but 1854 on the actual model.

1817 may actually be a problem of photographic evidence, it only being noted as in malachite green with lining, but never photographed for confirmation, I'm presuming that 1854 got photographed in said livery at the time, but I could be wrong on both counts, I'd be interested in the response you get from Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

I've got no evidence that Bachmann ever produced 1864 in malachite green, although I'm happy to be proved wrong. Any ebay listing of 1864 I've ever seen has had 1864 on the box but 1854 on the actual model.

1817 may actually be a problem of photographic evidence, it only being noted as in malachite green with lining, but never photographed for confirmation, I'm presuming that 1854 got photographed in said livery at the time, but I could be wrong on both counts, I'd be interested in the response you get from Bachmann.

1854 Cat.no. 32-155-U.

21C1 Channel Packet and 21C3 Royal Mail lasted a matter of months in the SR livery chosen, so two for the collectors and SR wartime modellers out there.

35023 and 35028 are better choices in BR early crest green, but why take two from the same batch?

I hope the tooling shots are not the only variations Hornby are going to produce, for one thing I note the lack of flat-fronted cab for the 21C11-20 series.

Probably best not to get too hung up on what has been seen so far, but to play it safe I won't be buying Hornby shares any time soon.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

I am waiting for Hornby to make a blue one before I buy one. No-one is making any Bulleid coaches in Southern malachite green livery to go with the Southern Merchant Navy Pacifics so without matching coaches the Southern Pacifics do not appeal to me.

The first issues of 21c1 and 21c3 in the 1941 condition that Hornby are releasing them in would only have been seen running with Maunsell coaches as the first Bulleid sets (963-980 and 981-4) did not appear until 1945 byt which time the front ends of 21c1 and 3 would have been modified with Smoke deflectors etc.

Bachmann are in the Thanet train pack...........

Unfortunately the Bulleid coaches in the Bachmann Thanet Train Set will be technically incorrect lettered Southern as they are the later BR Built deep window vent batch from 1950 so would never have been lettered Southern. When I queried this with Bachmann the response was that this was for the train set market so there were aware that technically it is incorrect but filled the gap in 'Big four' sets for them.

Yes see above

I see I'm not alone in deciding that none of the initial releases are really for me. Running one of these at all requires an, admittedly shallow, dip into the murky waters of Rule 1 for me and the second-last to be rebuilt, 35006, would (for various reasons) be snapped up without hesitation whereas Clan Line, whilst tempting, isn't a 'must have'.

I also fancy 35011 in 1957 condition with the cut-down tender as per the photo link in an earlier post.

In both cases, I'm perfectly willing to rename etc. but none of the first four look suitable for that either.

So long as there are no more pressing demands on my wallet when it comes out, I'll probably go for Clan Line and apply the late crest. If there are, I'll play "wait-and-see".

John

21C1 Channel Packet and 21C3 Royal Mail lasted a matter of months in the SR livery chosen, so two for the collectors and SR wartime modellers out there.

35023 and 35028 are better choices in BR early crest green, but why take two from the same batch?

I hope the tooling shots are not the only variations Hornby are going to produce, for one thing I note the lack of flat-fronted cab for the 21C11-20 series.

Probably best not to get too hung up on what has been seen so far, but to play it safe I won't be buying Hornby shares any time soon.

Glenn

From the conversations that I have had with Hornby about the Air Smooth Merchant Navys since well before they were announced, including being party to the CADs, it has been my understanding that they intend in the long term to cover many of the variations across all three series of the prototype but obviously are not going to tool or release all in the first year. So be patient and watch this space.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From the conversations that I have had with Hornby about the Air Smooth Merchant Navy's since well before they were announced, including being party to the CADs, it has been my understanding that they intend in the long term to cover many of the variations across all three series of the prototype but obviously are not going to tool or release all in the first year. So be patient and watch this space.

I remember you saying that Graham when they were first announced. There are so many different variations, it would be plain daft for Hornby to release them all at once. There are enough detail differences between the first 4 releases to keep most of the Bulleid Nutter's happy...

It is beginning to look like the Hornby Maunsell coaches are the only suitable coaches for the Hornby Channel Packet and Royal Mail as it seems that the Pullman trains like the Devon Belle were only reintroduced after the second World War. As I already have a rake of Hornby malachite green Maunsell coaches I am tempted to buy one of these Merchant Navy Pacific.

I would like to thank Graham Muz for the information about the Bulleid coaches. Mike King describes these in chapter 9 of his book An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches. Ironically Bachmann's Bulleid coaches as originally released are in a lighter shade of green than Hornby's malachite green Southern coaches. I think it is a pity that Bachmann chose to model the deep ventilator Bulleid coaches both in 00 and N gauges as Bachmann missed an opportunity of satisfying the pre-Nationalisation Southern market.

I see that Rothbury cards are producing a card showing the Devon Belle running late in both directions with one being hauled by a malachite green Merchant Navy locomotive. Something to model in future when Hornby introduces a later version of the Merchant Navy Pacific.