Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Well, things are looking up. Got the "Your payment has failed" email from Hornby. Went onto their site to update my card details, and it took them first time! 

All too easily forgotten. Last year the system for reasons unknown would take only PayPal when I attempted payment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Calidore said:

Very much looking forward to hearing about the colour / standard of finish, when someone gets hands on one...

Adam

People have been champing at the bit for this model since it was announced and quite a few who thought they had secured one on preorder have recently had to find a new source at short notice

Waiting for others to rate a model before deciding to buy is usually a good idea, but in this case, delaying may make finding one rather hard work....

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

And as a footnote to the delivery of 35024 ,an email now received from Hornby announcing the release describes it as bedecked in “experimental blue livery “. Except of course there was nothing experimental about it.....as opposed to some A4’s which H have released over the years. Blue was standard for a short while for BR 8P locos from all regions.Some A3 received it too . Sorry for the pedantry but H do have R&D etc.to ensure accuracy of what’s both inside the box and printed on the outside. Oh never mind,it’ll be good to recreate memories of Waterloo & Clapham Junction in the ( very) early 1950’s. Now what about aTavern Car to accompany it ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can see, Hornby's 35024 is in the standard blue livery, both in shade and lining.

However, I have seen a photo of 35024 in a darker shade with triple lining in the style applied to Malachite locos but in red. Will amend this post later with a reference if I can find it.

EDIT: haven't found the colour photo, but pps 142-144 of Bulleid Power by A.J. Fry refers, and there is a b&w photo. The blue is stated to be the standard shade so the photo I've seen must be a dodgy print! Cross referring to Derry confirms it only to have been like that for about a month in 1949, then re-done with black and white lining, the centre line being removed. The black "splash skirt" was added to loco and tender at the same time.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

As far as I can see, the livery on 35024 is the standard blue livery both in shade and lining.

However, I have seen a photo of 35024 in a darker shade with triple lining in the style applied to Malachite locos but in red. Will amend this post later with a reference if I can find it.

EDIT: haven't found the colour photo, but pps 142-144 of Bulleid Power by A.J. Fry refers, and there is a b&w photo. The blue is stated to be the standard shade so the photo I've seen must be a dodgy print! Cross referring to Derry, it appears only to have been carried for about a month in 1949, then re-done with black and white lining, the centre line being removed.

John  

I think you’re on the right lines here . The “experiments “ were to the lettering, lining ,wheels and tender crest of 35024 and not to the standard blue livery .Apparently several combinations were tried before officialdom was satisfied with the end results and the wheels painted black ( ! ) .So at a guess I think that’s the source of H’s description . My source on this is a recently published Transport Treasury book compiled by Hector Maxwell “The Bulleid Merchant Navy class original and rebuilt “ which I commend to you.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

As far as I can see, Hornby's 35024 is in the standard blue livery, both in shade and lining.

EDIT: haven't found the colour photo, but pps 142-144 of Bulleid Power by A.J. Fry refers, and there is a b&w photo. The blue is stated to be the standard shade so the photo I've seen must be a dodgy print! Cross referring to Derry confirms it only to have been like that for about a month in 1949, then re-done with black and white lining, the centre line being removed. The black "splash skirt" was added to loco and tender at the same time.

John  

Any colour photos of MNs in blue livery are around 70 years old, and by the time they're scanned and put online the exact shade is going to be open to question. Same of course with questions as to the correct shade of green....

This photo right at the start of one of David Hey's collections shows 35020 in blue livery, but with what appears to be two different shades ...

https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-30-br-southern-region-1

EDIT: A picture of 35027 in blue on the SEMG Website (click picture to expand).

Edited by RFS
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, RFS said:

Any colour photos of MNs in blue livery are around 70 years old, and by the time they're scanned and put online the exact shade is going to be open to question. Same of course with questions as to the correct shade of green....

This photo right at the start of one of David Hey's collections shows 35020 in blue livery, but with what appears to be two different shades ...

https://davidheyscollection.myshopblocks.com/pages/david-heys-steam-diesel-photo-collection-30-br-southern-region-1

EDIT: A picture of 35027 in blue on the SEMG Website (click picture to expand).

That repainted panel on 35020 looks like the aftermath of a fire in oil-soaked insulation material.

Nice shot of 35027. From the look of it, I'd bet on that having being copied directly from an original Kodachrome slide and should therefore be about as trustworthy for colour as we can hope for at this remove.

Edit: on second thoughts, it's too grainy for that and the creams are too white. Think the blue is probably pretty good, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Second thoughts

• RMweb Gold

I have just seen Muz's pics of the black MN. That is the most deliciously evil Bulleid pacific I have ever seen, and I saw 139 of the 140, although not in black. My layout is set far too far west of the MN stamping ground, but one of those will be coming here when they appear. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

That looks rather good. Amazing to see the thing, after however many years it's been.

Kernow's website example does seem to have the bottom row of electric lights and lamp irons mounted parallel to the angle of the platework, rather than vertically, though -- I hope that's a one-off.

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Calidore said:

Kernow's website example does seem to have the bottom row of electric lights and lamp irons mounted parallel to the angle of the platework, rather than vertically, though -- I hope that's a one-off.

Illuminating the stars is really important to a train driver. Deal with it. 

• Funny 2

I believe this to be a Colour Rail slide, of which I have a copy, though I can't find it in their current catalogue.

Stewart

14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I believe this to be a Colour Rail slide, of which I have a copy, though I can't find it in their current catalogue.

Stewart

I'm away from my books at the moment but my memory suggests this photo might be in David Jenkinson's book 'The Big Four in Colour'.

Edited by BenL

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And as a footnote to the delivery of 35024 ,an email now received from Hornby announcing the release describes it as bedecked in “experimental blue livery “. Except of course there was nothing experimental about it.....as opposed to some A4’s which H have released over the years. Blue was standard for a short while for BR 8P locos from all regions.Some A3 received it too . Sorry for the pedantry but H do have R&D etc.to ensure accuracy of what’s both inside the box and printed on the outside. Oh never mind,it’ll be good to recreate memories of Waterloo & Clapham Junction in the ( very) early 1950’s. Now what about aTavern Car to accompany it ?

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2021 at 16:34, Ian Hargrave said:

On 18/03/2021 at 16:42, Dunsignalling said:

John  

On 18/03/2021 at 17:17, Ian Hargrave said:

I think you’re on the right lines here . The “experiments “ were to the lettering, lining ,wheels and tender crest of 35024 and not to the standard blue livery .Apparently several combinations were tried before officialdom was satisfied with the end results and the wheels painted black ( ! ) .So at a guess I think that’s the source of H’s description . My source on this is a recently published Transport Treasury book compiled by Hector Maxwell “The Bulleid Merchant Navy class original and rebuilt “ which I commend to you.

On 18/03/2021 at 19:32, stewartingram said:

Stewart

On 18/03/2021 at 19:38, BenL said:

I'm away from my books at the moment but my memory suggests this might be in David Jenkinson's book 'The Big Four in Colour'.

For the record 35024, whilst in the works in February 1949 was painted in a dark blue, including the wheel with three horizontal crimson bands and a hand painted early emblem on the tender. 

She however re-entered service in what was to become standard express passenger blue with two black bands with white lining following inspection of the livery by members of the Railway Executive at Brighton Works.   

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For those interested in Merchant Navys (and if you are not then why are you reading this thread...?) then I can recommend the latest book from the Strathwood Books stable https://grahammuz.com/2021/03/18/the-next-steam-lament-book-from-strathwood-books-merchant-navys-q1-leader-and-other-works/  that has photographs of every member of the class across their lives and covering different liveries. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

It was never supposed to be in Experimental Blue. 

That's what someone at Hornby described it as and the photoshop rendering there, up until recently, was way off the correct colour too!