Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

• 4 weeks later...

Just looking at the new 5 plank open wagons for the Big 4. They just look like generic types. Am I missing something? I am pretty sure the LNER was a 5 plank fitted or 6 plank unfitted, excepting some older pre-grouping stock it took over.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the new 5 plank open wagons for the Big 4. They just look like generic types. Am I missing something? I am pretty sure the LNER was a 5 plank fitted or 6 plank unfitted, excepting some older pre-grouping stock it took over.

Regards

They are generic - something I believe Bachmann said at the time they were announced. They said they were responding to requests from modellers for some 'big 4' open wagons as recent pre-BR  releases have been focused on private owner liveries and types.

Thus if you are worried about accuracy then steer clear of them, but if, like me you are not to fussy they will be a welcome addition to some modellers wagon fleets.

Bachmann appear to have made alterations to the proposed 4cep releases. The announcement/catalogue showed two green versions - one of which (31-425C) was going to be unit 7106 in green - now appears as 31-427B - unit 7106 in blue/grey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, looks like Bachmann will be saving me a few quid this year too.

A merchant Navy (unrebuilt) would have been nice, and I'd really like a class 47 in dirty br blue with black domino headcode boxes.

Lots of people talking about retooling here, and personally I agree that several current model certainly need a tweak. The class 24/25 for a start, and to me the class 55's don't look right, especially the nose, cab windows and bogies.

The mk2a's were a bad miss too. The grey and white on the blue ones doesn't come down low enough under the windows. I just hope they get the mk2f's right!

• RMweb Premium

Yep, looks like Bachmann will be saving me a few quid this year too.

A merchant Navy (unrebuilt) would have been nice.

Lots of people talking about retooling here, and personally I agree that several current model certainly need a tweak. The class 24/25 for a start, and to me the class 55's don't look right, especially the nose, cab windows and bogies.

The mk2a's were a bad miss too. The grey and white on the blue ones doesn't come down low enough under the windows. I just hope they get the mk2f's right!

Well Hornby is doing the Merchant Navy. And according to Bachmann, the Deltic society, and a few others, there is nothing wrong with the current Deltic model. Supposedly its is correct. They refuse to believe there is anything wrong with it, even with the amount of evidence shown, and the number of modellers questioning it.

Too much of a gap between the bogies and body for me (I know it's for clearance, but I'm sure they could have come up with a better compromise than simply jacking it up...). The front cab windows look too small, even with the white 'mascara' on, and to me the nose doesn't look right. Can't put my finger on it but it seems to slope down too much and the ends look too rounded rather than square with round edges.

I'm sure it's more accurate than my mind is, lol. But something's telling me to wait for a better version.

As for the Hornby MN, I'd have to check one out 'in person' so to speak. Hornby still have a toyishness about them, despite a few fantastic exceptions like the 08, 50, 56 and 60!

I think I'll wait and listen to those with far more knowledge than me before blasting my hard earned at anything just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

It has been stated before the Bachmann Deltic locomotive is correct. They spent ages measuring the 3 owned by the DPS, and also used the DPS archive of drawings amongst those that they had located themselves. As they are hand built it is difficult to say that they all follow exactly the same shapes and exact dimensions. If were talking today one would have been laser scanned, and would therefore have all the nips and dents of the original. But I guess some would still feel that they are not correct. Of course you could build your own from plastic sheet and etches.

Too much of a gap between the bogies and body for me (I know it's for clearance, but I'm sure they could have come up with a better compromise than simply jacking it up...). The front cab windows look too small...

Take a look at the Heljan DP2 for the alternative compromise: manifestly the wrong shape at the ends in plan, to accomodate the bogie swing on set track curves. and it looks horrible. Couldn't bring myself to buy that, even on reduction and despite a liking for the prototype, simply too poor a model.

It is very easy to drop the Bachmann Deltic body relative to the bogies by a simple internal mod. and that immediately makes it look right. But no way of it negotiating set track curves in this form, the end wheelsets will machine their way through the bodysides if attempted. This is an unavoidable consequence of the prototype's dimensions, and I believe Bachmann made the right choice here; correct basic shape of body, easy user alteration to ride height if layout curves permit.

The front cab windows are too small aren't they though.The DP1 model shows a much better rendering which it would be good for Bach to revise to.

Take a look at the Heljan DP2 for the alternative compromise: manifestly the wrong shape at the ends in plan, to accomodate the bogie swing on set track curves. and it looks horrible. Couldn't bring myself to buy that, even on reduction and despite a liking for the prototype, simply too poor a model.

It is very easy to drop the Bachmann Deltic body relative to the bogies by a simple internal mod. and that immediately makes it look right. But no way of it negotiating set track curves in this form, the end wheelsets will machine their way through the bodysides if attempted. This is an unavoidable consequence of the prototype's dimensions, and I believe Bachmann made the right choice here; correct basic shape of body, easy user alteration to ride height if layout curves permit.

The front cab windows are too small aren't they though.The DP1 model shows a much better rendering which it would be good for Bach to revise to.

I know this suggestion will make most people recoil in horror, but one solution would have been to give the end wheels a slightly smaller diameter, and set the axles lower so that the upper flange doesn't exceed the top of the bogies as much. Then avoid painting the 'white walls' and keep the wheels matt black.

How did they get round the bogie issue on DP1?

I completely agree on the cab windows. Although as 'Deltic' has said, the DPS insist they're absolutely bang on.

They do look right on DP1 though, so is it just an optical illusion or have Bachmann done two different cab window designs?

I know this suggestion will make most people recoil in horror, but one solution would have been to give the end wheels a slightly smaller diameter, and set the axles lower so that the upper flange doesn't exceed the top of the bogies as much. Then avoid painting the 'white walls' and keep the wheels matt black.

How did they get round the bogie issue on DP1?

I completely agree on the cab windows. Although as 'Deltic' has said, the DPS insist they're absolutely bang on.

They do look right on DP1 though, so is it just an optical illusion or have Bachmann done two different cab window designs?

does the DP1 model not have smaller wheels instead?

If the end wheel of the bogie was a smaller diameter, that would affect the gear ratio of that wheel set, requiring a different 'gear mechanism' to that axle. It wouldn't only need different gears but they would also need to reach down lower to the lower mounted axle.

• RMweb Premium

But then if you set the body at the right height relative to the bogie, the whole thing would sit too low and you would have to add a spacer and set the body too gigh with an unrealistic gap - which is where we started, just with smaller wheels.

Archived