The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

8 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

...The seam welds on the prototypes are probably impossible to represent in model form without them being either too coarse or completely invisible, as evidenced thus far...

They were as invisible as a not readily visible thing, on the actual vehicles once painted/dirt coated. Inspect in BR service photos taken in good lighting of mk1s, reproduced at roughly 4mm/ft. No seams to be seen.

My opinion, it has been decades of looking at inaccurate models that has produced this strange desire for a feature which cannot be seen on a  4 mm model...

• Agree 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

There is a new Engine Shed now, with decorated new models W1  and 2MT 

I wasn’t thinking of ordering a Standard 2MT but having seen the samples I’m very tempted!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Nice samples

Wow the rebuilt LNER/BR Class W1s look just as stunning as the originals

Although alot of tweaks are required to the BR Standard Class 2MTs they look beautiful I  went with BR early crest black and BR late crest green. BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78047 - Era 5, R3836 and BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78000 - Era 5, R3839

Finally a actual sample of R3824 Clan line Centenary Year. ( I know It's existing tooling:laugh_mini:) the presentation box looks nice as does the pinlth with gold plated track! (finally got to see this aswell).

I do love the 2 retro wagons packs but I do wonder as this is a centenary product if the packaging will also be retro? I don't think this has been covered? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by RyanN91
Typo fixed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

They all look fantastic!!

Thing for me is the 2MT is too 'blingy' - shiny and pristine.

This is possibly as they may be turned out at the start of a new heritage season, but in routine service .... perhaps not.

Al.

Five minutes with a bit of paint or weathering powders would soon change that.

That's how you weather things. You start with a pristine one and do some work on it.

Jason

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Gold-plated Clan Line is really tacky. Only a collector could love it. In the era of compulsive - or do I mean compulsory? - weathering this stands out as distinctly alternative. 

Oh, and BTW Hornby, the word used by Shakespeare is "glisters" not "glitters". So much for education. 

• Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

They all look fantastic!!

Thing for me is the 2MT is too 'blingy' - shiny and pristine.

This is possibly as they may be turned out at the start of a new heritage season, but in routine service .... perhaps not.

Al.

Maybe preservation when first out of the paintshop but look at any engine after a year or two use and that is certainly gone. Certainly needs a like bit of  weathering, but boy are they lovely models 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Gold-plated Clan Line is really tacky. Only a collector could love it. In the era of compulsive - or do I mean compulsory? - weathering this stands out as distinctly alternative. 

Oh, and BTW Hornby, the word used by Shakespeare is "glisters" not "glitters". So much for education. 

I wonder if the gold plated 'Clan Line' could well be a marketing mistake of the decade due to the way Covid has changed the market situation?  While it will no doubt be bought by some people because they think it will hold, or improve, its value has the Covid affected the 'pure' collector market for Hornby stuff?  Most of the people I have come across over the years who collected Hornby by R number tended to be of more mature years and well heeled financially - and all of them had already gone to face their maker before Covid arrived.  Equally how many of the niche collector market for Hornby's Bulleid pacifics are still around or sufficiently well heeled to pay very high prices for the rarities?   And in current circumstances just how many retailers are prepared to risk their finances buying into a very niche product?

So lots of question marks.  It might work for Hornby among returnees and those looking for something to hand down to the grand children but I really wonder if it is coming too late?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

What we have to look forward to. I wonder how the last two editions of 2020 will be set out? What is left from decorated samples of newely tooled models which we haven't seen yet, which are the LMS Coronation Scot Coaches, BR Class 370 APT-P, BR Class 91, maybe we will see final samples of possible new variations of reintroduced models hopefully a fullly decorated 9 car BR Class 390 Avanti Pendolino. Modifications to the 2MT,  I'm sure all of these or whatever is featured  will make wonderful viewing streched out and reading for the final two engine sheds for 2020.:D

4 hours ago, phil gollin said:

The loco photos are wonderful, especially the 2MTs.

HOWEVER !   Have Hornby got no shame putting those crude monstrosities of wagons at the end  -  they are atrocious.

However they are part of the Centenary range and are probably more iconic than most of the others put together.

Nearly everyone who had a train set or even model railway from the 1920s to the 1980s must have had at least one of the many variants. Especially the United Dairies tanker and Palethorpes sausage van.

Dirty 2MTs? This is 1963, looks pretty clean and shiny to me.

spacer.png

Ben Brooksbank - Wiki

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if the gold plated 'Clan Line' could well be a marketing mistake of the decade due to the way Covid has changed the market situation?  While it will no doubt be bought by some people because they think it will hold, or improve, its value has the Covid affected the 'pure' collector market for Hornby stuff?  Most of the people I have come across over the years who collected Hornby by R number tended to be of more mature years and well heeled financially - and all of them had already gone to face their maker before Covid arrived.  Equally how many of the niche collector market for Hornby's Bulleid pacifics are still around or sufficiently well heeled to pay very high prices for the rarities?   And in current circumstances just how many retailers are prepared to risk their finances buying into a very niche product?

So lots of question marks.  It might work for Hornby among returnees and those looking for something to hand down to the grand children but I really wonder if it is coming too late?

I think it's always been the case that any real money that's to be made from inherited model trains only accrues to generations born after we're no longer around to meet them.

It's the attrition of play, house moves, stuff being dumped in attics for a decade or two or donated to charity shops, not to mention the ravages of Mazak Rot, that will make the survivors rare enough to be worth "antique" prices fifty or sixty years hence. 

Most of us have seen examples of how the plastic used by Tri-ang  60-odd years ago has deteriorated, and I'd not be surprised if modern stuff will go some way towards that unless stored in appropriate conditions. The waist-level join on those rebuilt MN boilers is likely to be one of the first indicators of any such decline, I suspect.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But it's aimed at the collector market. Not the first time they have done gold plating.

• Agree 1

On 31/10/2020 at 02:50, MrTea said:

I wasn’t thinking of ordering a Standard 2MT but having seen the samples I’m very tempted!

I agree. I recently had a wave of madness over Bachmann Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T engines and if the Hornby 78000s have have proper front wheels I'm sold..   :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I was just looking at the Engine Shed video, observing the cab overhang of the W1.

Admittedly it may have been tighter radius curves, but it does swing out quite a lot.

Al.

It's a big loco

• Like 1
  • Agree 2