Garry Morris

Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Posted (edited)

0C4A206C-F7B9-4C1C-AA1D-88B02653FA9A.jpeg

..and departing Paignton a few minutes later.

Edited by MPR
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

9BD09105-7342-4ABF-A8A2-93061D402683.jpeg

...and waiting to go, with many onlookers (despite appearances in this shot).  

Edited by MPR
  • Like 7

DRS locos could spend some time in the washer!:o

Brian

36 minutes ago, brianusa said:

DRS locos could spend some time in the washer!https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png

Brian

That said, the coaching stock was (mostly) cleaned to a very high standard, as I think you see in Garry's photos. It was very strange seeing an air-con Mk2 rake in blue-grey with an interposed Mk1 restaurant car again after all these years. 

((I'm tactfully ignoring the generator coach and the strengthening coaches at the other end of the rake!)

• Like 2

Agreed the rest of the train looked good but in this day and age generally the traction as well as locos are usually immaculate:mellow:

Brian

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, brianusa said:

DRS locos could spend some time in the washer!https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png

Brian

Given the choice of out earning money or sat on depot being cleaned, which one would you choose?

DRS do work their locos quite hard meaning not much downtime.

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1

And so to the end. Sir Kenneth Grange gets the last rites in the the memorial garden at Laira. Many a loco has departed on Lipson No.4 road. Next stop is to be stuffed and mounted in the NRM. Would like to know the mileage. Two careful owners from new!

DSC_0854.JPG

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Garry Morris said:

Many a loco has departed on Lipson No.4 road.

Indeed they have, I have taken one complete 2+9 set and back to back power cars away from 4 Lipson on their final journeys off lease from GWR.

• Informative/Useful 1

6975 now resident on the Kingswear line gets acquainted with Torbay siding. The stock of a railtour behind it. Was the Torbay Express stock stored in this siding?

DSC_0889.JPG

• Like 4

On this day in 1983 I made a trip up to Barnstaple, and took a few photos while I was there including the set that brought me back to Exeter.

1579447363_BarnstapleP463.jpg.c002c14eac284995ecae0d930e3b0e82.jpg

BRCW-built Class 118 set P463 waits at Barnstaple to work the 14.28 service to Exmouth. The set is formed of vehicles 51305, 59472, and 51320. 31/10/83

A copy of this photo appears in my second book 'Railways of the West of England in the 1980s' by Kevin Redwood. The book contains 60 photos taken across Devon.

cheers

• Like 5

Superb picture, stand there now and it looks very very different.  Love the old goods shed, which was dismantled around 92.  

Must acquire the books you mention cos I know how good the images of the line are on the Cyberheritage website.

I started working in Barnstaple in Sept 90, timing my arrival perfectly for the removal of the run round loop under Sticklepath Bridge. Used to use it a fair bit to go to Exeter and onward to other points west then though.

The line first fascinated me when we were on holiday in South Molton circa 77- Dad was driving us to Bideford in his MG 1300 and a 25 was chuntering along the causeway from Bideford to Instow with clay wagons.

From that day on, anytime we were near the line I'd spend the trip with my eyes glued to the line, including on trips down to Exeter and Dawlish for some real traction and freight variety  !

• Like 2

A Quick bump for the thread.

Sorry no dates or number though.

Goodrington sidings & 1 from Paignton.

img526 (2).jpg

img528 (2).jpg

img527 (2).jpg

img525 (2).jpg

• Like 5