Devon Diesel Era Photo Record

Garry Morris

8 hours ago, geoff said:

What an absolutely stunning photo of the Tamar bridges and the Western.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff. If I remember correctly I was standing in a car park using a 135mm telephoto lens.

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Was browsing through Colour Rail and came across a picture of 56050 passing through Totnes with the return polybulk wagons.

Was this likely a traction trial at the time or just a Class 47 failure with a replacement Class 56 working through.

Ref   285790

Class   56

Loco   56050

Location   Totnes

Date   31/12/1987

Photographer   SIV

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2023 at 18:22, Trev52A said:

(316dSW)46035Teignmouth27-5-75(TErmel)copy.jpg.5ebc5221b9a73794252d294b7f362e1a.jpg

46035 heads north past Teignmouth on 27th May 1975

Nice photo of a scene that could happen again, if 46035 ever regains mainline certification. 

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium
On 22/07/2023 at 01:22, Trev52A said:

(1160cW)D1009NewtonAbbot30-5-74(TErmel)copy.jpg.f5953c94f7cbe78fa44188b7159650ad.jpg

D1009 'WESTERN INVADER' heading west on 30th May 1974

Trevor

If the headcode is correct, the train is a local stopper and, in view of the Western, may be going to Paignton to form an express back to Paddington.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 31/07/2023 at 09:16, brushman47544 said:

If the headcode is correct, the train is a local stopper and, in view of the Western, may be going to Paignton to form an express back to Paddington.

Yes, I wondered about the headcode, but always assumed it was just 'wrong'. Perhaps someone with a WTT of the era could shed some light, please?

Trevor

On 04/10/2020 at 17:04, Rivercider said:

There is at least one photo of a D63XX at Ilfracombe online somewhere.

I have very few memories of the line, just before it closed, and can only recall Warships Hymeks and DMUs.

I've had some fun trying to find a pic of a D63XX at Ilfracombe. Elusive aren't they?

D822

Ilfracombe (Aug 1967)

?

Ilfracombe (Aug 1965)

What's this (1967)?

Ilfracombe (Aug 1967)

D826 in 1969

Ilfracombe (Feb 1969)

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How about this? The caption on Flickr says

But had it been to Ilfracombe?

Barnstaple Junction

I would think more likely that the class 22 is either on the Barnstaple/Marland/Meeth freight and clay trips, or the Torrington milk trip,

cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the photo at Barnstaple, 6C17 was 04.25 Exeter Riverside - Barnstaple Freight and Milk empties in the 1969/70 WTT.

7C43 was a 22.30 Exeter Riverside - Tavistock Jn freight in the same period. It may have run as Class 6 on occasion. The D63xx could have run back east in time to pilot this train to Ilfracombe, without a headcode change on the cab facing west.

The train is likely to be the 8.50 SO from Paddington which was due to arrive at 2pm.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, stovepipe said:

7C43 was a 22.30 Exeter Riverside - Tavistock Jn freight in the same period. It may have run as Class 6 on occasion. The D63xx could have run back east in time to pilot this train to Ilfracombe, without a headcode change on the cab facing west.

The train is likely to be the 8.50 SO from Paddington which was due to arrive at 2pm.

There are various photos of the Paddington train at Ilfracombe with a D800 in charge without a pilot, so perhaps it had failed and the D6300 had been the rescue loco?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of slides I've purchased recently which show some long lost freight flows:

07th June 1975, An unidentified Class 31 is in the centre road at Exeter St. Davids with headcode 6B71 which at the time indicated the Torrington/Barnstaple to Exeter St. Davids Milk/Goods vans train, which according to the excellent RailGen website was usually a class 25 turn but is strongly suspected to be a Newcourt (MOD RN stores) trip working.

31xxx Exeter 07/06/75

46002 running near Powderham with a southbound mixed freight, and what a mix it is!
From what I can make out the consist features a Siphon G 'Enparts' van, four Presflo wagons (cement empties), a Weltrol Trestrol wagon, various box vans, various open OWV clay wagons and two Polybulks (china clay), comprising 35 wagons in total.

This could possibly be the Exeter Riverside to Plymouth Friary Goods but any and all information gratefully received.
No date information but circa 1979?

Peak Freight Flow at Starcross

All the best,
Ross.

Edited by alexross42
Clarifications & corrections from responses below
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Interesting mixes of wagons on those 2. The Torrington/Barnstaple train has (I think) 4x 12 ton vans, a Lomac of some sort, steel highfit - but then I don't know what, as the next wagon seems to have end doors? Definitely no milk tanks!

The Exeter to Plymouth train Presflos may only be cement empties from Barnstaple or Exeter to the Plymstock cement works. I think the string of opens behind the Polybulks and van may well be empty opens from the china clay 'Clayliner', given the white colour and height - I don't think they're high enough to be minerals. It's a shame there's no date.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Interesting mixes of wagons on those 2. The Torrington/Barnstaple train has (I think) 4x 12 ton vans, a Lomac of some sort, steel highfit - but then I don't know what, as the next wagon seems to have end doors? Definitely no milk tanks!

The Exeter to Plymouth train Presflos may only be cement empties from Barnstaple or Exeter to the Plymstock cement works. I think the string of opens behind the Polybulks and van may well be empty opens from the china clay 'Clayliner', given the white colour and height - I don't think they're high enough to be minerals. It's a shame there's no date.

I reckon the 31 on the down main is on the Newcourt trip

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Agreed they'll most likely be the 10ft WB roller bearing fitted OWV's for the "clayliner" traffic.

The Polybulks were Vac-piped ISTR so no need for a van.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Stoke West said:

I reckon the 31 on the down main is on the Newcourt trip

Yes I think that is most likely, I have the Local Trip Booklet from May 1975.

Trip  No.9 was a Bath Road class 31 diagram and worked to Newcourt SX.

7B78 12.45 Exeter Riverside to Newcourt

cheers

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this thread.... of particular intrest as I live in Paignton.... incerdently my old Dad passed away last week and in his vast collection of railway photos are drawers full of photo albums covering our local area from at least the 80's up to more recent times...

Trouble I don't know what to do them at the moment...

• Friendly/supportive 6

4 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I would agree that the working at Powderham has cement empties (from either Barnstaple, Exeter, or also Chippenham which also  received cement from Plymstock in the late 1970s) . I think the slate powder traffic had ceased by then. The 6V53 Clayliner from Stoke on Trent to St Blazey was booked to detach and attach other traffic at Exeter Riverside, so it may be this train. 

cheers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I've just found this thread.... of particular intrest as I live in Paignton.... incerdently my old Dad passed away last week and in his vast collection of railway photos are drawers full of photo albums covering our local area from at least the 80's up to more recent times...

Trouble I don't know what to do them at the moment...

Are you aware of the Railway Studies collection at Newton Abbot Library?

Members of the Friends of the Railway Studies Collection have been archiving  railway pictures,

they might be interested.

I have recently joined the Friends group, and have attended several very interesting railway talks at Newton Abbot Library,

cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1